PDA

View Full Version : tri-z over heating

wheelyking
12-27-2009, 05:55 AM
I have a 1985 tri-z 250 that i think is overheating its driping on the pipe . But the overheat light dose not come on i dont know if it is over filled . I took the thermostat out samething .any ideas darren

luke
12-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Check the conections to the light, and see the bulb is good. Also does the light come on when you first start the bike, it should, this is to show the bulb works, it goes off after only 2 seconds. Have a look at the outside's of the rad's make sure all the fins are good and straight, and not full of dirt and grass. Then check for good water flow through them, it might be good to take them off at this point and remove all the pipes. Take off the water pump cover (right side, lower, frontal) see if the impellor has come off the shaft ? If it has there will be no movement through the cooling system, and the water from the cylinder won't get to the rad's for cooling. This is a common problem with Z's. If it has you need to take off the clutch cover to remove the impellor shaft. If that's not it take off the head and look through all the veins in the head and jug for alloy corosion and build-up of crud, look at all the pipe joints as these are the first places to corrode. Check the timing for correct fire, as if it's off it will create more heat on detonation.
If it's none of the above, sell it and buy an 85 250R ;)

Bryan Raffa
12-27-2009, 08:18 AM
sounds like you got a pin hole leak... let the bike come up to temp.. and look where its drippin from.

possible you did not get a good seal when you too the thermostat out?

Racerguy381
12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Made the mistake of crossing the feed and return hoses to the water pump before. Everthing flows in reverse and ends up overheating.... At least I caught it before it did any damage. If the hoses are hooked up correct when you pop the radiator cap with the engine running it will have a whirlpool effect in the top of the radiator.

wheelyking
12-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Check the conections to the light, and see the bulb is good. Also does the light come on when you first start the bike, it should, this is to show the bulb works, it goes off after only 2 seconds. Have a look at the outside's of the rad's make sure all the fins are good and straight, and not full of dirt and grass. Then check for good water flow through them, it might be good to take them off at this point and remove all the pipes. Take off the water pump cover (right side, lower, frontal) see if the impellor has come off the shaft ? If it has there will be no movement through the cooling system, and the water from the cylinder won't get to the rad's for cooling. This is a common problem with Z's. If it has you need to take off the clutch cover to remove the impellor shaft. If that's not it take off the head and look through all the veins in the head and jug for alloy corosion and build-up of crud, look at all the pipe joints as these are the first places to corrode. Check the timing for correct fire, as if it's off it will create more heat on detonation.
If it's none of the above, sell it and buy an 85 250R ;)
thanks i will ck and let you know

wheelyking
12-28-2009, 05:56 AM
made the mistake of crossing the feed and return hoses to the water pump before. Everthing flows in reverse and ends up overheating.... At least i caught it before it did any damage. If the hoses are hooked up correct when you pop the radiator cap with the engine running it will have a whirlpool effect in the top of the radiator.

i think i may have switched them when i did the cluth plates i will ck in the morning thanks darren

clutchcargo
12-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Also double check the routing of the hoses going to the coolant bottle. Make sure they are hooked up correctly and not pinched anywhere.