PDA

View Full Version : Questions about DS 650 Baja

z400guy28
03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm going to look at a couple of quads tomorrow and i'm really leaning towards the Bombardier DS 650 Baja. It's an 03 with some stuff on it, but just wondering how reliable they are and are they good on trails. I rode with a guy who had one and he loves it. His is an 01 yellow and not the Baja version. I know their heavy and bigger than most sport quads but i also hear they are comfortable on long rides. I'm 6'0 and weigh almost 200 pounds and am about to turn 30 and don't want a 4x4 yet. I've been riding since i was 10 and can throw quads around so the weight and size is not a factor, just more concerned with are they good on trails and reliability. Any info would help and thank you.

smokinwrench
03-06-2010, 12:39 AM
I have 2 friends with them and they love them, the baja is lots better then the regular. Neither of them have had any problems.

RoscoW
03-06-2010, 09:35 AM
My brother is the same size as you and has had a DS 650 for at least 7 yrs. Other than oil changes I don't think it has seen or needed a wrench put to it. Dead stone reliable. He loves the size of it and it is supposed to have one of the most supple suspensions out there. It is a large machine, with nerf bars on it it gets pretty wide and with the longer wheelbase tight trails become a lot slower as you pick your way thru, he's never found a trail he couldn't run, just had to slow it down some.

Ross..

z400guy28
03-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I did buy it, and i gotta say i really do like it. Sure it was a pain in the butt to pick it up and load in the truck but it really is a good comfortable quad. Went good threw the trails and has alot of get up and go which i really like. I paid 2200 for it and don't regret it at all. It does need a new ball joint and front tires but that's it. The only thing i didn't like was it hits the rev limiter to quick. So i think i will be buying a Ron Woods rev box for it just to get a little more RPM out of her. I will take some pics soon and post them on here for you guys to see. Thanks again guys for the info.

cattle-dog
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
you dont need to change the limiter its there to keep that 4 stroke together i have a 03 baja ds 650 X and love it also and they are heavy but are one of the fastest quads out there stock even at 480 lbs the only bad thing is if you like jumping the shocks will bottom on a high jump, but nicest over all quad i have ever owned. and make sure you run premium fuel.