PDA

View Full Version : MUST SEE- The best for last, Pictures of Rocky Mountain ride in Montana. -whyzee-

hang&rattle
09-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I told whyzee next time I rode near the Bob Marshal wilderness, just south of Glacier Park I would remember my camera. I wasn't prepared for the most incredible trails I have ever rode on a cycle in my entire life in Montana. This is going to be a long thread. To be able to take my kids into the Rocky Mountains and they were just in aawwwhhh. It was challenging riding as we went from 3700 ft to over 7000ft in an hour and 15 minutes (around, hard to keep track of time up there). The pictures really can't do what was seen justice. I wish all you trike buddies would come and experience this with me, because I really can't explain it- So spose' to be thunderstorms all day, loaded up in the a.m. and figured we could hide in the trees in the mountains from the wind and rain. On highway, those are the mountains 50 miles away. Sky looks good, nice and cool for a ride. By the lake way. Rocky domes to the left and to the right.

harryredtrike
09-04-2010, 10:59 PM
very very nice pics.that would be a great ride for sure.

Dirtcrasher
09-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Imagine jumping those cliffs?? Awesome pics and what a place...............

hang&rattle
09-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Two weeks before we were riding at the lake (Pishkun reservoir). It was 10' higher. Well I looked back in time to see Onnie dog paddling 3 bobbing tires to the shore. He went too far from shore and tipped his x completely upside down. He told me he lost his chain guard when he did that. I said ya right. How do you know that? Onnie begged me to stop. The spot was dry and he walked to the spot and picked up his chain guard. Blew my mind. Then along the levie road and past this cool old bridge and Gibson dam. Google earth this it's cool. To our spot. Unload.

hang&rattle
09-04-2010, 11:32 PM
I took these while riding and it wasn't easy. We climbed over 2000ft. in a little over an hour up a logging road/trail/creekbed. The trikes tended to smoke at this elevation and ran pretty rough. My kids are incredible riders. Onnie got to shoot the pistol. On the way up we had to duck under some trees for a small thunderstorm to pass for 10-15 minutes, gusty winds & rain while it sunshined, go figure. Over 7000 ft. in elevation before lunch.

MTS
09-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Git it!!!!....the rocky s are fun to ride....4 stroke territory!! 2 stroke too...Need to compensate for jetting!!..

Motorious
09-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Amazing family 3 wheelin' adventure! Incredible scenery. Fond memories that will last a lifetime. Good stuff H & R. Looks like you got some tough little riders there. Also have some insane packing skills (how you managed to fit 3 trikes and all that stuff into your truck is most impressive).

3wheelmecca
09-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Sweet. Where Newrider3 and I were was in the Rockies, but at 10K feet! It's really fun up there, there were 2 weensy water crossings and a lot of hills to be clumbed(word????). My 250R ran well, and the KX Danno was riding was ok, but not enough powah.
I can't wait to go again, but this time, I am bringing the Tecate.

cattle-dog
09-05-2010, 07:18 AM
that would be a blast, hang&rattle thos are the memories your kids will remember for thier entire life, so much better than video games all day. i thought i had it made with riding with some good friends all the time, sir you have the life, family and trikes could it get any better?. and the packing skills amazing i thought two trikes and all my gear for a weekend of riding /camping was good in the bed of my truck. if i had that to ride i might have to quit working!!!!

whyzee
09-05-2010, 07:28 AM
WOW!!!! God's Country for sure,hang & rattle !. You have no idea how jealous you just made the rest of us :) Thanks for sharing.
Find me a house to rent. I'm moving ! SO awesome you get to do that with your kids. Just amazing..the entire day, with the thunderstorm, stopping to shoot..etc...I love the wild west. Thanks for taking me back there!

hang&rattle
09-05-2010, 10:01 AM
This was the ultimate climb. I moved around the kids snapping pictures who really were speechless. These should be on a brochure for family triking. On another note coming down the trail, about only a 1/3 of the way a nice fella on a new big yamaha grizzly was pulled on the side of the trail. We went to the top, he couldn't go any farther. He asked how bad it got farther up. I pointed at my daughter on the 125m and said she made it on that little 125m. "Huh, I think I'll just fallow you guys down." he smiled and agreed when I said we have one less wheel and is easier for us to fit and climb. I have seen video of folks climbing on youtube. If they were to see how two young and well trained riders can ride on a rocky, steep, timberfall, mountain road, they would ask Onnie and Tasha for riding lessons. These trikes are safer and more agile than most anything. This was definately a MC ride with the comfort of a atc. The final pictures are the scenery coming out of the mountains. Whyzee- make a trip here soon, while we are still allowed to enjoy this spot. Oh, in the 7th picture between Onnie's and Tatter-bugs heads is a meadow, our truck is parked in the center of that meadow. And the mountain above that meadow is the one we made it to the top on, that's a steep climb for a quad.

whyzee
09-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Amazing , even in the pictures, you can see how big and steep those mountains are. I can't even imagine being able to be there and ride that with the family !! Love the pink helmet on your daughter. Speechless pictures.
Ok , who is ready for a trip to Montana :) ?

hang&rattle
09-05-2010, 10:31 AM
And whyzee, your 250sx is the perfect trike I believe. The kids 200x's are lowered for the center of gravity because those logging trails are sloped & not always flat. But we rely on the skid plates quite a bit. Onnie usually leads because of the clutch and just pulls over and waits when he gets too far ahead. Tasha's auto-x is the best trail bike in the herd. Those are the most perfect tires for riding any conditions. As you see, ours are used. They are not shiney and powdercoated. My Tecate looks good now, but will be a trail bike also in a couple of weeks. The drastic changes in elevation, rocky terrain and so much water is tough on trikes here. In fact the auto-x motor siezed up on this trip so I have to replace the 30 year old engine. You can't stop on a 2000ft. climb and pull the trike apart to move the clip, especially with all the bears runnin' around up there! This is one of the many private camp spots we can stay. Our p.u. was about a 1000 yards away.

whyzee
09-05-2010, 10:40 AM
^ geez, could that camping spot be any more beautiful !

MonroeMike
09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
What an amazing ride to go on with your kids.

Great shots, postcard material.

mtsnieg
09-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Good times, trikes, kids and shooting.