PDA

View Full Version : 85 250es carb questions

gostraightahead
09-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I've had no problems with this bike as of refreshing it. I've left it parked until I need it for hunting season. Earlier this week, I noticed a puddle of gas underneath from the overflow. I shut the gas off till I had time to fool with it. Today, I turned the gas valve back on and tried to start it so I could pull my boat out and gas POURED out of the hose.
Should I expect the float to be cracked or what? I'm gonna pull it off and have a look but I'd like to start price shopping if it seems like an obvious float problem.
Should I order a rebuild kit and and a float or what?

TIA,
Brent
Arkansas

harryredtrike
09-05-2010, 09:33 PM
is the bowl clean?sometimes the float will get stuck if you leave the gas on while sitting and drain your fuel out.try picking up the trike and dropping it hard a couple time to loosen the float.doesnt take much to get the float pin to stick.always run a fuel filter and air filter to stop this from happening

Thorpe
09-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Agreed with Harry... I guess for the time it takes to get the carb off the machine, I would have a rebuild kit waiting on hand and freshen it up... (for good measure) And like Harry said, throw a fuel filter inline... Cheap insurance!

gostraightahead
09-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I opened it up right after I posted this. The bowl was so full of sand and clay I couldn't believe it ran at all. 1/8 inch of sediment in the bowl so I figured the float may have even gotten stuck in this stuff. So I cleaned it out and did a shade tree carb cleaning and made sure the float "floated" freely. Buttoned it all back up and turned on the gas and it poured out like it was a straight shot from the tank.

What gives?
Brent

Thorpe
09-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Need to not pull the "shade tree" approach, and get a rebuild kit, and go through it completely.... If there is that much junk, you tank is probably rusty inside... Probably got piles more sediment getting in there. Install the fuel filter too, as mentioned earlier.

gostraightahead
09-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Gotcha. Thanks.
Brent

Thorpe
09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
In the quest to rebuild the carb on my 85ES... I had found that the kit for a 85 is different from 86-87 BR's... (ordered my first kit from Dennis Kirk, and got a bad product)

tri again
09-07-2010, 06:29 AM
I had that happen with a fresh carb rebuild.

ONE tiny piece of flyspeck was in the float valve...after everything including the tank got cleaned to perfection.

so even if they are Not filled with sludge....

Tapping on the float bowl sometimes works and sometimes
I.ll open the float drain and let the gas run out as fast as it can into a gas can..might flush. and rinse out the float needle.

But hey guys!!!!!!!!

I bought a big red with low oil because of an oil leak,
checked the oil a day or 2 later and it was back up. and gas tank was empty

but it dripped funny.

the gas had filled the crankcase. because it never got turned off.