PDA

View Full Version : ? Remove points will trike Run or Die? OR?

cbx1170
10-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I searched for this and found nothing.

This is a test.

So you think you are an ATC Mechanic and you have seen it all? OK how about a HONDA ATC mechanic? How 'bout them single cyl points equipped SOHC Honda ATC's such as the HONDA ATC90? Then answer this.

Take a good running ATC90 and take off points cover. Loosen points wire bolt/nut (hex size 5.5mm) that holds primary wire to points assy. It should be slotted and wire may pull off bolt now. NOTE LOCATION of slot is over insulating mica washer and under steel washer by bolt head. If not slot it and slip under bolt/washer head. Do not let it ground out.

Now have a flat or #2 phillips screwdiver handy.

Start the ATC90 and let it idle.

Carefully pull the primary wire, holding on the insulation, from the points and hold it in air.

What happens? Answer NOW or forever hold your peace.

ANSWER NOW!..... Or no credit.

I know this works for ATC90's I think CT90's, ST90's, S90's and the points ATC110. 50's and 70's I think not.

ANSWER: The Tryke keeps right on idling fine with no problem. YES it keeps running!!!!!

Now you can COMPLETELY remove points using screwdriver, and hand the points to your friend and the ATC will keep on running!! Usually they are at a loss for words at this point.

It won't rev up very good since no advance, and it will die if ya let revs drop fast. And it usually will not start. Needs RPM's to sustain itself. Seems the rise rate and peak of the coils in the stator are timed just right to give max energy/spark to coil to fire at nearly exactly the same time as points open and will "Fool" the ig coil into firing.

Try it - amaze your friends make some extra cash But don't forget who helped you with that tidbit of info for all you Mad Scientists out there.

?? Did you pass??

Now carefully remove the camshaft and see if it keeps idling.

Anybody??