PDA

View Full Version : 1985 atc 125M help

timtim
02-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Hello

i just got a 1985 (i think that is the year) atc 125M. the ignition switch was broken so i bypass the switch ( hooked the red wire and black wire together per service manual) the neutral light comes on and all i hear is a click,click when i push the start button. i know the battery is bad so i jumped it with a car battery. few things i notice is when i uses the pull start the neutral light flash on and off as iam pulling it. and it seems that when i have the key switch bypass i loose spark. if i unhook all the wire to the switch then there is spark but dont the switch need to be "on" to make it run? the key switch iam talking about.. ohhh there are only 4 wires that come from the key switch those colors are

black with a white strip
green which is ground
red
black

so iam missing something here? i know i will have to take the carb apart to clean it but i just want to get the starter and spark first :)

thanks

moline
02-15-2011, 08:30 PM
had the same problem with my 85 200m. i just got rid of the ignition switch and put in a toggle. you only need the red/black on toggle.
this is fir the starter to work.
(i know for sure the red not sure about which black.)

NOTE: do NOT connect the green black/white. note that the ignition switch was 4 wires and had 4 contacts. but when on the 'ON' position - it lifts the contacts for the other 2 contacts (grenn/black) to disconnect. the green/black combo is a granny 'kill' function. drove me crazy!!!

good luck.
later
dan

p.s. i also had to hange the spark plug. got really black.