PDA

View Full Version : To seal or not to seal, Does this tank need to be sealed?

Pinscher62
06-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have an 86 250sx with a little rust in the gas tank and I am looking for a proffesional opinion on weather I should seal it or not. As you can see in the photos, the tank is in pristine condition on the inside except on a couple rust spots around the petcock area. I cannot see any visual signs of corrosion in this area on the outside of the tank. I always keep the tank drained except for when I use it. If you think it should be sealed, what is a good seal kit to use?
Thanks again for the time.
Mike (Arizona)

Erics350x
06-25-2011, 12:22 PM
If it isnt really starting to rust, i wouldnt seal it.

Pinscher62
06-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Thats kind of what I thought. I am just not sure if there is anything I can put on it to prevent it from rusting further. Lucky we have real dry air here most of the time but monsoon season is just around the corner. It gets a little humid that time of year.

atc007
06-25-2011, 01:01 PM
OMG ! Don't seal that! That is a beauty! Are you leaving it empty?? Or it sits awhile? Either way,put some engine oil in it,swish it all around,top and bottom . It won't ever rust in our lifetime. Wanna use it again? Rinse it out w a little gas,,or just let er smoke the first tank. But the oil w keep that perfect! Nice tank !

pipeline triker
06-25-2011, 01:53 PM
You do not want to seal that tank. That is just light surface rust you see, plus sealers will not stick to that clean of an inside of a tank. After you drain it just spay some WD-40 or other type of oil spray in just to keep moisture off the metal.

Pinscher62
06-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys, thats pretty much what I figured. Just wanted to be sure. I will probably let it sit empty for the next couple months since summer is so darn hot to ride in Arizona. I like the coat of oil during storage. I will do that.
Thanks again.

aldochina
06-25-2011, 07:04 PM
if you store it empty, it is a good idea to coat the inside. just a spray of wd-40 would probably suffice to keep little spots like that from forming. then just swish alittle gas in there before you use it next. you dont want to use a tank sealer unless the inside is real crusty, and pitted up.

tri again
06-26-2011, 03:01 AM
I've tried it all.

The best is to drydrydry them on the bbq/sun/hairdryer and maybe even swish a little 'heet'
it grabs moisture and evaporates it....and they STILL rust here in Oregon.

Unless I hang them in the living room by the woodstove.

Since we Need these year round, I just keep them all FULL with non ethanol gas
and they stay perfect. No oxygen no rust, theoretically.

I also filled an empty one with propane, since it's heavier than air, to see how that works too.

I'd say 1/2 the tanks I've gotten are rotten so it's a real science.
A half empty tank going thru temperature changes is suicide.
Especially if they sit in the sun and get hot and cold and condense moisture out of the air.

I got a one owner sx looked new newnew, never got cleaned because it never got dirty.

They drained the tank with a little left in it (and drained the carb thankfully) put the gas cap back on and parked it for 10 years in a garage. That tank had tons of tiny paint bubbles along the bottom and after sanding the paint bumps, I was able to shove 4 fingers thru the bottom of the tank.
Would've been better with the cap OFF and drydry empty, or full, with or without fuel stabilizer (for rust prevention)