PDA

View Full Version : Tri z brake caliper. help please!

Kale
06-28-2011, 11:52 PM
after getting the caliper torn apart and the rust cleaned out of the caliper body and the cylinder i tried putting it back together and can't seem to get the cylinder over the dust seal. does the dust seal come off and slip over the cylinder before going into the body? if so, how do you get it out? (fought with the assembly for about two hours...:mad:) trying to slip the cylinder over the dust seal while still in the body. i don't want to wreck the dust seal because there is not really anything wrong with it. but i can't see a way to get it out with out picking the crap outta it. I am desperate to ride again and any help getting the caliper back together would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for now,
Kale

MTS
06-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Should be a snap ring holding that seal in...hard to find with 25yrs of caked on crap covering it. But should come out before the piston will go back in if I remember right.

Kale
06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
you're right MTS. i dug around in the crack with a pick and scraped out a pile of junk. pulled out the seal and found a snap ring in there somewhere. am in the process of putting the seal back in and i believe i figured the situation out. Finally!
Thank you

Bryan Raffa
06-30-2011, 07:46 AM
just dont clean it with carb cleaner like I did..:lol: it will grow twice the size and you will never get it back in....;)

Kale
06-30-2011, 05:43 PM
i used brake cleaner on the caliper when the seals where still in. was careful, and didn't spray the rubber intentionally, but i think some still got on there. maybe thats why the dust seal is going in so hard...

Bryan Raffa
06-30-2011, 07:59 PM
usually yes... I found if your dealing with all new rubber its easyer..

atc007
06-30-2011, 08:45 PM
If ANY cleaner got it,,it's swollen,,,,And I can't tell,,,,you ARE working wet aren't you!? You want to drench the piston,seals,,,everything with fresh brake fluid to go back together.. And they are NEVER easy until you've done a few!!! Good luck!

Kale
06-30-2011, 09:18 PM
thanks for the response guys. i managed to get the dust seal in no problem after a few tries. there is a little snap ring that holds the dust seal in place. i pulled out and i believe it goes on top of the seal once its in place. i was trying to snap it in once the seal was set. is this the correct way to do this?

Kale
07-01-2011, 01:54 AM
brakes in!!! finished up with the set up and bled everything. works like a charm. front caliper is up next. did bleed it and put a new yz426 master cylinder and got everything done except the pads. finish up with everything tomorrow. muchas gracias everyone :):)