PDA

View Full Version : top end gasket install how-to

ATCmudderTY
08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I hate to admit it but I'm kinda nervous to take my top end apart and replace all the gaskets and o-rings since I never done it before. I already ordered the kit from G&H ATV Supply and I been searching everywhere to try and find out how to do it. I already tried looking on this forum but if there is a thread about this that I couldn't find would someone share it with me? I just hate to mess it up and have something go wrong so itd be nice if i had something to go by.

rdlsz24
08-04-2011, 12:54 PM
What trike is this for

Rob

ATCmudderTY
08-04-2011, 01:09 PM
1984 honda 200m

rdlsz24
08-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Download the manual here: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/200M_84-85_shopmanual.pdf

It will tell you step by step in there how to do it

Rob

ATCmudderTY
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Yea I already have the manual downloaded its been alot of help with everything so far. But it doesnt specify every gasket and O-ring that comes with the kit I ordered. Hers a link to it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350472630798&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:MOTORS:1123

The kit comes 6 different O-rings and 4 gaskets. Im sure it'll be obvious where they go once I have the motor apart. Was just hoping someone had some tips/pointers on this project. The reason I'm replacing the gaskets and o-rings is because oil is leaking into the cylinder and fouling the plug so bad that the motor wont even start. I was told by doing this would fix the problem. Is that correct? Thanks for all the help.

just ben
08-04-2011, 11:02 PM
with most gasket kits they are made to fit a few different machines and all the pieces may not be used. sounds more like you need a topend rebuild not just gaskets

oscarmayer
08-04-2011, 11:03 PM
big oring is coil side cover gasket, 2 same size are valvew cap gaskets, decent change 1 will be an intake manifold gasket or the big and little crank cover plugs (big one is where the nut is, the little is on top called the view port for the alignment of the timing chain. Also don't forget about the CDI oil ring. now becarefull when you reinstall the CDI casing. use plenty of vasoline or moley lube (oil will not do well) to ensure it properly slips past the eds of the head case. if not it will cut the oring and leak.
I highly recommend you replace the chain as they stretch and you will probebly have a bad rattle in the top end if you do not. at a minimul, also if your taking it appart, may as well check out the valves and do a valve job. i bet the valves are worn and probebly need replacing. replacing them and having a real vavle job done will do wonders for that motor as well.

Oh and i jsut remembered, you need to look at getting an "oil seal" kit. if your replacing the gaskets, go through and repalce all the oil seals on the engine as well. they are all easy to get to and replace. it's well worth it...
good luck, take your time and you'll be ok.
Follow the manual...

ATCmudderTY
08-04-2011, 11:07 PM
What all does a top end rebuild include?

ATCmudderTY
08-04-2011, 11:17 PM
oscarmayer, thanks for taking the time to explain for me. Im hoping the gaskets arrive tomorrow so I can spend the weekend working on it. I did think about the valves possibly needing replaced I just dont have alot of money to spend right now. My biggest concern at the moment is getting it running and replacing more parts over time. I bought the trike last weekend and it stopped running the same day. So I havent even got to enjoy my first 3 wheeler yet!

oscarmayer
08-05-2011, 08:52 AM
the vavles are very important, if they are worn, then they can crack or break and ruin a motor. a valve set is $25 shipped off ebay. if you can;t do a normal valve job, you can lap them in at least and they will seal. may not be pretty, but it will work. It'll be fun. you'll enjoy it. jsut wondering why are you doing a top end gasket set? is it leaking oil? Do you feel blowby from the gasket where the head means the cyclinder? is it smoking when it runs?

ATCmudderTY
08-05-2011, 10:47 AM
It did smoke a little bit when it was running. A buddy of mine who is into ATVs/dirtbikes told me that the O-rings that come with the set I ordered will prevent oil from getting into the cylinder. I trusted him because he seems to know alot about this stuff. Is there some other reason that this could be happening or is he correct?

oscarmayer
08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
nope, if it's smoking, it's gonna be the piston rings. that means a top end rebuild not just a gasket set. Get the next sized up piston and then get the jug bored/honed to match. (make sure you peasure your jug first before ordering to ensure you get the right size. I alos recommend getting a XR200 piston as it will have a slight bit increase in compression vs. the stocker size. Between piston, boreand hone and valves and gasket set you should expect to spend about $130-$150 on parts and machining. if you do a real vavle job, expect more $ in costs. also don't forget to replace that timing chain and guide/tensioner. So now your reaching into the $200 mark for parts and basic machining before a machined valve job. And that's using parts from ebay not honda.

ATCmudderTY
08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
well geeze. It sounds like I'd be better off buying a used motor that doesn't need any work?

zackwhite
08-05-2011, 02:06 PM
if trailprotrailpro bike smokes its either trailprotrailpro rings r bad whick=h cost like 10 for new rings.or it can be the valve .or to much oil in trailprotrailpro bike.other then that trailprotrailpro bike shouldnt do it.

ATCmudderTY
08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
would any of those things u just mentioned cause the trike to stopping running and not start back up? Also, it didnt smoke really bad just when you really got on the throttle

zackwhite
08-05-2011, 02:18 PM
yes if trailprotrailpro rings r really bad.but if it wasnt smokeing bad thne that woodnt be a reason.amd if it only did it then i wood say its trailprotrailpro oil to high or low or trailprotrailpro valves r of by a lil.if trailprotrailpro not leaking oil.but if trailprotrailpro bike stoped runing look at all trailprotrailpro wires and try trailprotrailpro plug and look over things.i had the same thing with mine and its all done

ATCmudderTY
08-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Now that u mention it.... it broke down on me right after i dumped a quart of oil in it. When I got it home after I bought it, there was no oil at all on the dipstick so I just assumed it could use a whole quart. Maybe I had to much in it. I really hope thats not the case cuz the motor is already out of the frame.

zackwhite
08-05-2011, 02:30 PM
ya thats way to much u got to get a biek sit for like an hour befor u check it.and it shouldnt take that much to fill the biek up

ATCmudderTY
08-05-2011, 02:37 PM
hmmm. well maybe while im waiting for the gasket kit to come ill put the motor back in with the correct amount of oil and see if she starts up. Cuz right now it doesnt leak a drop of oil. I'd hate to replace the gaskets and then it start leaking and not even fix the problem. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

zackwhite
08-05-2011, 02:44 PM
best thing to do if take all the oil out.and put in half of trailprotrailpro jug on and try it if it work thne let it sit and check the oil

oscarmayer
08-05-2011, 03:09 PM
the engine will take .9 of a quart of oil. so not quite a whole quart unless dry new then it takes 1.01 quarts.

ATCmudderTY
08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Ya i definately had too much in there then cuz im sure there was still a little in there when I dumped a whole quart in.

zackwhite
08-05-2011, 03:42 PM
ya so that might be the only reason y