PDA

View Full Version : 84 200ES Top End Refresh..

kb0nly
10-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Time to get rid of that annoying oil seepage from the o-ring at the head gasket! Pulled the motor today and stripped it down, still in the process of removing gaskets and cleaning it up to put it back together.

Just putting in a new top end gasket set, oil seals, timing chain and tensioner/guide, etc, and putting it back together. Bore looks great and measures up, piston and rings in good shape, no scuff marks or unreasonable wear on them either.

Should be a quick rebuild once the parts get here. I think the hardest part will be putting the motor back in the frame and getting the driveshaft aligned while lifting the motor into place, but we shall see later next week!

oscarmayer
10-08-2012, 03:53 PM
clean and straight forward. I'm not sure that is a stock honda piston, so someone may have worked on it before.

kb0nly
10-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Its a stocker i think, has the stock honda on it and the correct stampings. The bore is the stock size as measured, well within the service range of standard size piston and rings. If anyone else was in it, it must have been a dealer or good shop. Hondabond on the rocker cover, OEM honda gaskets, etc. No sloppy work or any worries found inside. Pretty basic and simple refresh. I was prepared to hone it and put in new rings but its so so clean i said the heck with that, the bore doesn't have a scratch in it and the rings measure up as well.

I am only the second owner of this 200ES, and the previous owner was a farmer that used it to check on the cattle out in the pasture. Its been well maintained with oil changes, etc. Pretty clean inside and out. The only problem it had when i got it was the electric start not working and the ignition switch was worn out and replaced with a toggle switch, i replaced both.

86T3
10-09-2012, 07:08 AM
I swapped motors in a 84 BR when i was in my low teens. I'm 28 now and all i remember was how much it sucked getting that heavy motor in the frame correctly. Looking good, hope your good luck continues

kb0nly
10-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Yeah its going to be a pain to put it back in, that is the only part i am not looking forward to!

oscarmayer
10-09-2012, 10:43 AM
yea is the stapmign sre there, then good. sounds like they way i rebuild my motors ;) Hondabond and gaskets only. i only use black hi-temp RTV to help with sealing such as the oil seals. i like to put a little aroudn the edhes od the seals befor einstall thatw ay if the casing has any imperfections, it takes them up and no chance of leakage. works good!

kb0nly
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Starting to go back together today, snapped a pic quick of the progress i made over dinner. All the parts are cleaned up, replaced the valve stem seals and got the head back together. Cylinder back on along with new timing chain, tensioner, chain guide.

I have to get one new bolt, the long 6m bolt that goes from the head below the cam down to the case has a stripped head from removal. Broke off the philips impact bit in it and then partially rounded it off with a wrench trying to get it out, so i was lucky to get it out! Also two new bolts for the intake, they were so tight that i rounded the heads off getting them out. The only bolt i broke was the thru bolt on the shifter so i got one for that. I had the exhaust nuts off before when i replaced the exhaust for a DG setup, so they came off but were getting gnarly so i got two new nuts and ran a die over the studs to clean up the threads.

I should get the top end back together this afternoon then i have to wait until tomorrow for my left side cover gasket which got delayed in shipment due to the holiday yesterday, then Thursday i will get it back in the frame and test it out!

oscarmayer
10-09-2012, 05:38 PM
before you put the cover on, get some blue tape and take off the leters and areas you don't want painted, then take some semi-gloss hiheat engine pain and paint that puppy. make it look nice! :)

kb0nly
10-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Been thinking about it, don't have much time to spare this week is the only problem. I will probably mask it all off thoroughly and degrease it for a repaint while in the frame this winter when i have more time. I need to get her back into operation first, she helps me with fall cleanup and the leaves are getting deep!

kb0nly
10-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Got the top end all back together, i would have had it done this weekend but the left cover gasket isn't here yet. One more gasket and an afternoon and i should have it buttoned up and back in the frame and running.

oscarmayer
10-12-2012, 12:45 PM
looks good sir! :)

kb0nly
10-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Thank You!

Anxious to get it done now.

kb0nly
10-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Didn't get any more pictures.... Was cussing and swearing at the driveshaft. But finally got the motor buttoned up and reinstalled yesterday. The absolute worst part of the whole job is getting the motor back in the frame with that spring loaded driveshaft joint, what a pain...

Started right up first crank and purrs like a happy kitten! No more oil leak, and no more cam chain noise. Still has the usual 200 series tick that i am used to hearing, but no more timing chain clank... So nice... :-)

Now it sounds i have another rebuild to do for a guy that just bought a 185s... Two 200's down, one 185s to go! What a busy motor year...