PDA

View Full Version : 200x wiring harness, 185 stator, how to hook up wiring?

CodyRosa
03-01-2013, 07:38 PM

Ok so one picture is of the stator wires. Yellow, Green, and Black I read what each one does in my manual but but I thought I needed one that was a ground? Yellow-headlight, Green-Taillight, Black-On/Off

Another pic is the yellow and black/red wires by green and blue.. lol obviously you can see that.

The last pic is of the random black wire (maybe black/red??) next to the 2 wires that are extras.

I had these hooked up when I had the 200M bottom end but this 185 is a bit different.. so maybe there isn't a grounding wire??

Thanks

barnett468
03-01-2013, 10:16 PM
The wires coming from your stator does not match any of the 200x wiring diagrams so there is an obvious descrepancy somewhere.

All the 200 starors are internally grounded there should be no wire. If there is it is black.

Wiring diagram from the site for 200x.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content.php/187-honda-wiring-diagram-section

Wiring for 185

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/list.php/category/60-ATC185(s)/ATC200(s)/1

CodyRosa
03-01-2013, 11:05 PM
The stator is a 185 not a 200x. I'm only using the wiring harness off the 200x. 200M Top end, and 185 bottom end.

And I know this works because I got it work when I first got the 185 motor.. but I completely forgot how to do it.

barnett468
03-02-2013, 12:47 AM
Hello cody rosa

The black wire with small red tube on your 185 stator ALWAYS goes to cdi which is also black or black/red on all 200x models except for 87. The 87 harness uses black/yellow to cdi and black/red from cdi to positive side of coil.

Yellow from your 185 stator always goes to solid yellow on 83,84,85 200x wiring harnesses. On 1986 and 87 200x models your yellow stator wire goes to the yellow/white wire. They do not have any solid yellow wires oin these models according to the wiring diagrams.

Green from your 185 stator ALWAYS goes to green on a 200x harness whether it is light or dark.

The two spare wires at connection should be brown and the other green, either way they are not used on any of the 200x’s.

The two wire harness you show is wired correctly.

Here's a link to a more clear 200 wiring diagram.

http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC185S%2F

CodyRosa
03-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks Barnett, You said the green from the stator goes to green on the harness.. well there isn't a green one. Next to those 2 extra wires next to triples there another wire.. could that be the one? I'm not sure the color of it but it has a black end to it.

barnett468
03-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Hello cody

The photo of your connection by your steering head shows a green wire at the plug. I can't easily see all the wires there if you shoot a better photo showing all those wires I will be glad to see if I can figure it out for you.

You say there is no green wire but you did not say what is missing a green wire, the harness or the stator? I clearly see a green wire on both? The green stator one is the one without the red tube.

You say there is 3 loose factory ends there that do not go into the plastic plug?

What color exactly is the loose non yellow wire at the top of the valve cover, you might need to clean it off? Is it bright red or lavender or multi colored?

Do those originate from the frame harness, they should?

This took me a while to decipher and according to the 7 factory harnesses I had to look at [because you did not mention what year it was] my wiring is 100% correct guaranteed.

MonroeMike
03-02-2013, 04:38 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/MagScans/autox.pdf

barnett468
03-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Hello

Monroe mike has posted a very interesting article that addresses your issue and I am glad he did. I can tell you that I know a bit about these types of systems but not everything however I am definitely highly proficient at reading and deciphering wiring diagrams. As long as they are correct they do not lie and your green wire does go where I said it does however you can also simply ground it however the other green wire on your harness needs to be grounded somewhere also irregardless of what the article says. Your stator is already internally grounded. Anyone with electrical experience can easily see this.

My wiring should work 100% as I said on all models.

Just because one stator may use different color wires than another one as long as they both have the same amount of wires coming out of them it does not mean that they connect to a different part of the stator internally it just doesn't work that way. I have experienced this many many times.

The yelow drom your 185 stator is power for the lights on all systems.

The black/red wire from your stator is power for your ignition on all systems.

The green wire is ground for the cdi, coli, and lights on all systems.

Your bike will run without the yellow wire connected.

barnett468
03-02-2013, 08:08 AM
HELLO CODY

OK, OK ,OK I see what you did.

Connect the yellow wire from your stator to the loose yellow male wire by your valve cover.

Connect the black wire fron your stator to the black/red wire by your valve cover.

Ground the stator wire and green wire on your harness, it should have a ground loop on it.

Man I need a beer!

Please still shoot a photo of the wires at the steering head plug for me and tell me what color they are.

Thanks

CodyRosa
03-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Wow thanks Barnett and MonroeMike! So the hole time it was quite obvious haha, that darn green wire tricked me up.

Barnett: The two wires I believe are green, yellow and a 3rd wire with a black end which I believe is black. You don't see the yellow or green(just the tip of one) because it's hidden behind it, but its there believe me. Those are the 2 excess wires. I was wondering about that black wire by my forks.

barnett468
03-02-2013, 09:29 PM
hello cody

I'll answer your questions in a few minutes but i need to know for sure if the black wire looks factory and if it has a thin red stripe. red stripe is power, solid black is ground or common. don''t want to tell you to ground a power wire you won't be happy.

do you know for sure what year the harness is?

It would help to know the exact color of the other two wires there also. is it possibly green and lite tan instead of yellow? it should not be yellow.

thanks

barnett468
03-02-2013, 10:07 PM
That wire should be black or black with white stripe and should come from the cdi and go to the kill switch. do you have a kill switch and if so is it connected and working. the other kill switch wire and connects to green on the harness.

CodyRosa
03-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Nope no kill switch.. all I know is whoever had that harness chopped it up really bad. I can check tomorrow for the color of it to be sure.

barnett468
03-03-2013, 02:09 AM
hello cody

does it run now?

does it have lights?

CodyRosa
03-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Well not now sense my motor isn't complete yet.. but yes it did run, had both headlight/taillight. Everything worked as should.