PDA

View Full Version : anyone know a thing or two about VW starters or sterters in general?

manbearpig
06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
been working on my 74 super beetle, Ellen. shes been a great ride for as long as ive had her. bought her from a friend for $325 after he crashed it into the back of a VW SUV. brought it home, cut off the front end and welded on a new clip, tossed on some craigslist hood and fenders, and was on my way.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k557/proct103/020_zps76fe4614.jpg (http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/proct103/media/020_zps76fe4614.jpg.html)

well about a month ago while driving to work it lost quite a bit of power and i heard a loud knocking noise. pulled over, got it towed home, and proceeded to swap the motor for a good running one i have sitting in the garage. swap went well, got everything bolted in and went to hit the key (button) and the starter gear just spins, but wont throw the bendix out to engage the flywheel. this is my major problem

i have tried 4 different starters, all were pulled from running cars and all were tested and working when pulled. all perform the same way, starter gear spins, bendix wont throw

i have tried 3 different batteries, with no change in results, all batteries were also pulled from running cars

ive chased all the wires, replaced blown fuses, no change

a noteworthy mention: i have a push button starter. the switch at the key went out, so i ran a handheld push button switch up into the cab. its clipped onto the starter terminals to bypass all of the car's wiring that provides power to the starter. this setup worked for me every day, multiple times a day for 6 months without fail. even worked right before i pulled the damaged motor.

now, the starter gear just spins, but wont throw the bendix to engage the flywheel. what gives?

im missing driving my bug. summertime at the beach isnt complete without an aircooled VW toting me around

anyone have an idea whats goin on?

thanks
-MBP

just ben
06-24-2013, 05:53 PM
does it kick out while bench testing it? is it the same flywheel as the old motor? is it possible that it is a different style flywheel?

big specht
06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
there are differant starter /flywheels for the aircooled vws just pull the motor and swap the flywheels

MIK6
06-24-2013, 06:39 PM
There is a small brass bushing that the tip of the starter sits in. I bet it came out w one starter and bever made its way back in.
I had a starter go on my rail, after 3 cheep starters that wouldnt work I bought an expensive one from a VW shop. The box had a strange part in it from the rest. I went back in and asked. Sure enuff when I got home the original bushing was missing.
Worked perfact from them on!

MIK6/ Mike

lardog
06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Paul some vws have 6volt or 12volt starters , 180mm or200mm flywheels sounds like something is mis matched . compare what you have on the original motor and the motor you have in the car now..