PDA

View Full Version : Upstate NY trike registration

MJKH_BIGRED
12-18-2013, 10:10 PM
I did some looking on the NY DMV website, but didn't really see what I was looking for. Anybody in Upstate NY register their trike? I am a landowner in Champlain and I want to bring my trike up with me this year for ice fishing (hate dragging all that stuff out on King's Bay). When I was a younger man I'd probably just use the trike to drag the stuff out anyway, but in getting older I'm all set with dealing with Mr. Green Jeans.

I have the original title for my 250es.... Anything else that you need?

EDIT: I only have a CT state driver's license, do you need a NY license?

RIDE-RED 250r
12-18-2013, 10:37 PM
This thread has everything you need to know about registering in NY.. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/156640-ATTN-NY-members-interested-in-registering-their-trikes?highlight=register+trike+in+ny

BUT, unlike snowmobiles, a non-NY resident does not need to register an ATV in NY to legally ride in NY. Registration in your home state is all that is needed. You must also carry liability insurance.

I recommend registering your trike in CT.

bigdaddyvw185
12-18-2013, 10:53 PM
This thread has everything you need to know about registering in NY.. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/156640-ATTN-NY-members-interested-in-registering-their-trikes?highlight=register+trike+in+ny

BUT, unlike snowmobiles, a non-NY resident does not need to register an ATV in NY to legally ride in NY. Registration in your home state is all that is needed. You must also carry liability insurance.

I recommend registering your trike in CT.

Do not register in CT, its useless to register in CT, you register in CT then they turn around and tell ya that there is no where legal to ride in CT besides your own private property. i get the deal with registering in CT to then go and ride up in NY but that would be the only good thing to come out of registering in CT, i was contemplating registering here in CT then after doing the research i chose against it and ended up registering in MA. if you were to register in this state they would bang ya for taxes every year afterwords and then intern give ya no legal place to ride. which is something i could not understand.

bigdaddyvw185
12-18-2013, 10:56 PM
tho since you do have property in NY registering in CT could be the easy way to go about riding in NY, it just really kills me with the rules for ATV's in CT is so screwed up about how they want you to go and register in this state then turn there back on a safe / legal riding area. let alone dealing with the boys in blue on the subject... sorry for ranting on these posts.... just really irks me on the rules in this state.....:mad:

RIDE-RED 250r
12-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Aha! I forgot about having to pay tax on your vehicles every year in CT...

In that case, if possible to register in NY, maybe that would be best. NY does not charge an annual tax on vehicles....as of yet anyway!

MJKH_BIGRED
12-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys I'll look into it. How the hell are you supposed to get liability insurance on a trike? Do you have to go in person to a facility to register?

RIDE-RED 250r
12-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Mine are insured with Progressive

CRAZY70MAN
12-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Mine are insured with Progressive

No sh#T??? If you dont mind me asking.....how much is the premium and does it cover theft and such??? I always wondered.......... thanks

RIDE-RED 250r
12-19-2013, 08:44 PM
No sh#T??? If you dont mind me asking.....how much is the premium and does it cover theft and such??? I always wondered.......... thanks

Lets see now... I insure a pair of '85 250r's, an '84 Big Red, and '88 Suzuki Quadrunner 230, and an '01 400ex. If I recall, I pay about $130ish per year. My policy doesn't cover theft. I just do the minimum liability required by NY to ride on public trails.

I don't try to do theft/full coverage because I figure if something were to happen, the insurance company would bone me anyway by only giving me book value on the claim. And we all know what "book value" is on these trikes these days. So I would pay all the extra money for specialized insurance that wouldn't even come close to repairing/replacing my wheelers should I have a claim.

As to collision, the extra cost isn't justified to me because I do all my own work, and I can fix about any damage you could think of buying parts from places like this and do the work myself.

That's just my take from my position.

I remember my brother lost his arse on an insurance claim on a beautiful old '86 Chevy stepside with 60k original miles on it. It was parked in his girlfriends driveway, he was in the house. Some dipstick fell asleep at the wheel and hit it totaling it. He had pics of how nice it was and the ins company gave him a whopping $600 for it because that was the average they determined trucks like his go for. And of course they told him he should have had a special policy to cover it for what it was actually worth, and of course that policy would have been much more pricey.

So that's about how I figure it would go if I put full coverage on my trikes and had to file a claim for a total loss....

slashfan7964
12-20-2013, 03:06 PM
State Farm will also insure them.

Caminofeld
12-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Not saying I've ever done this;), but since all my hondas have 3 wheels and are red i would assume that nobody would tell the difference between a 200x and a 350x...or a 250sx and big red...it may be possible to register one and use that reg for whichever one you choose to ride that day...just sayin'...

MRSOUND
12-20-2013, 04:09 PM
My policy is through Progressive. Their minimum premium is $95 on a policy. So I was paying $95 for my BR and an electric golf cart we keep at our campground (Required by most campgrounds). Decided to bundle with my motorcycle and individual prices for just liability (required by PA to register to ride state lands) for the BR was $20/yr. Golf cart $16/yr. 2012 Harley slightly more :rolleyes:

RIDE-RED 250r
12-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Not saying I've ever done this;), but since all my hondas have 3 wheels and are red i would assume that nobody would tell the difference between a 200x and a 350x...or a 250sx and big red...it may be possible to register one and use that reg for whichever one you choose to ride that day...just sayin'...

You are not likely to get away with that here in NY. The registration lists the VIN of the machine on it.. And I have had my paperwork checked by a cop riding Tug Hill a time or 2. If you have a cop that is particularly thorough on his check, he will see the VIN discrepancy between what is stamped on the chassis and what is listed on your registration. The NY registration also lists the license plate number that is supposed to be installed on that particular machine.. This is to make sure a person can't just register one machine and throw the plate on another that is not registered...If you get caught playing funny business with your plates and documents (which again, if you have a cop check your docs that is halfway thorough in his check) you will get a couple extra tickets added on and quite possibly get your machine impounded.

For the meager $14.50 (if I remember correctly) NY charges annually to register a wheeler, it's not worth the risk of having one of my babies impounded.

ThinktwiceZ71
12-21-2013, 09:58 AM
I just went through this with my 85 big red , tell the dmv when they ask that you have owned it for about 5 years (no bill of sale needed) take a photo of the vin # or a pencil tracing of the vin ( they need a copy of it to mail in with their paper work) . fill out a nys registration form and a dmv 51-b form (http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv51b.pdf). It cost me $25.00 till august next year , and my insurance through state farm is 2.50 a month added to my 3 cars and house policy

good luck

RIDE-RED 250r
12-21-2013, 10:38 PM
I just went through this with my 85 big red , tell the dmv when they ask that you have owned it for about 5 years (no bill of sale needed) take a photo of the vin # or a pencil tracing of the vin ( they need a copy of it to mail in with their paper work) . fill out a nys registration form and a dmv 51-b form (http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv51b.pdf). It cost me $25.00 till august next year , and my insurance through state farm is 2.50 a month added to my 3 cars and house policy

good luck

That is true. The only gamble you take is that there is a registration out there that was issued at some point when you state you owned it. I know the likelihood of that is slim.. But just that same, I recommend trying to learn all you can about the history of the trike you are going to register. Better yet if you really HAVE owned it the last 5 years.

If they catch you falsifying that form you will be in some doo-doo.

Not trying to be Chicken Little, just making folks aware of all possible outcomes.

slashfan7964
12-21-2013, 10:40 PM
I wonder if the X my dad has is even registered anymore. No plate on it though. I wouldn't even want a plate on it, they look retarded.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-22-2013, 06:00 PM
I wonder if the X my dad has is even registered anymore. No plate on it though. I wouldn't even want a plate on it, they look retarded.

Small price I am willing to pay for miles and miles of legal trails and gravel roads to ride! ;)

Plus, having a plate on my trikes it's funny how many perfect strangers walk up and ask me how I managed to register them because they are "illegal". Even had a cop ask me that once! LOL!

slashfan7964
12-23-2013, 04:18 PM
There's no place to even think about riding here...I wish they had designated traisl but nope that won't ever happen. No one lets anyone on their property ad state lands is automatically trespassing.

ThinktwiceZ71
12-23-2013, 10:14 PM
I knew my friend owned the trike for like 8 years before I bought it and he never registered it , so I knew I was all set there. I should have mentioned that

MIK6
01-03-2014, 12:57 PM
I have recently registered the 2cate! I walked in knowing its history (it cant be hot) w/o any paperwork, just said I lost it over time. Asked me to sign a few things asked what I paid for it asked for a frame rubbing of the vin (I had a cel pict w it lol) easy as hell printed my regi on the spot and recieved my transferable a few months later.