PDA

View Full Version : 1985 tri-z ignition running lights issues wth???

coxbros2
04-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Here is the deal, bought this 85 z that was a basket case but motor ran great, lights didn't work cuz wiring was all jacked up, you know the drill. spent a ton to restore it to original oem condition and realized it had a tiny flywheel and stator with no lighting coil. Just got in from bay a oem triz stator and flywheel but when we tried to put the flywheel on the crank the id diameter of the oem flywheel is much larger (like a tenth of an in) than the one that was on it. We are assuming it had some type of yz250 setup on it and the crank must have been changed at some point. any ideas of what crank is in this trike and what could be purchased to power up the lights from the ignition? i have included pics of the flywheel and stator that were on it when we got it and the oem stuff we bought off ebay.. the bigger stuff is the oem equipment and the old tiny parts are what it had on it...sure could use some help on this...190842190843

coxbros2
04-07-2014, 10:40 PM
looking like maybe a yz250wr stator and flywheel setup might work from a 89-97 wr..they had the option of running lights??? Need big help guys

NeverLift
04-08-2014, 12:29 AM

This is my flywheel and stator from my 85 yz250 then a pic of the tri-z flywheel next to the YZ. I put this crank in so I could convert to a powervalve setup. But I don't know it the WR will work.

coxbros2
04-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks, basically if anyone can tell me if the ID of a WR flywheel where is slides onto the crank at its largest point is the same ID of the yz flywheel will solve this problem..then i can just buy a wr stator and flywheel and have my lights working again

coxbros2
04-08-2014, 09:34 PM
after alot of research its looking like the WR flywheel and stator wont work with this 85 yz crank..we opted to use a 3s lipo battery pack under the seat and a switch to turn the lights on