PDA

View Full Version : Doing up 85 tecate

russ98atc
02-03-2017, 12:46 AM
So I started tearing into my tecate to get it prepped for riding season. I'm doing everything except the motor (which is in great condition) and the frame. Installed the new Clarke tank which I'm very impressed with. I've also got the swingarm, carrier, headlight mount and radiator guard out to powder coat. Also I sent the shocks out to be rebuilt. I am having new fork tubes made for it as mine were very pitted. I got a set of duro hf245's for the back and I've got an axle coming. Not a full restore but definitely has been a fun project so far! I'm really starting to love these green machines aka "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!

If anyone local wants the faded original gas tank it's yours just pick it up

JacobMonster
02-03-2017, 08:08 AM
This is awesome bud! The bike looks really nice. I'd love the tank but Im only 12 hours away :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

christph
02-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Nice, your plastics are in great condition. Have you ridden with those Duro tires before? I've thought about getting them for my Tecate but am wondering how they hook up? They seem like more of a flat track tire than an all around tire.

russ98atc
02-03-2017, 03:59 PM
No I haven't yet this is my first set. I can see just by looking at them forward traction won't be an issue. But I'm interested to see how the do in the corners:naughty:

OZQUAD44
02-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Your rear fenders are awesome, mine are average. I've picked up a set of maiers but I'm no a fan of the low profile look. I wish you could still buy original cut rear fenders for these trikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

russ98atc
02-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Yeah I don't care for the Maier's either but I would like a shiny new set of plastics. I probably will end up getting a set and maybe sell these. There's just a small crack in the back and some minor fading

3 Wheel Drive
02-03-2017, 09:36 PM
What kind of alxe did you find as your replacement. You should keep those stock fenders, they look pretty nice to me.

Rob Canadian
02-04-2017, 12:03 AM
Garage is all "green" Very nice trike you have.

Is the dog peeing on the JD? :)

OZQUAD44
02-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Garage is all "green" Very nice trike you have..... :)

Yes, all he needs to do is get a yellow seat cover, paint the rims yellow, and throw on some yellow stickers, and we could be looking at the long lost, and rare, John Deere racing trike from the mid eighties, [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

OZQUAD44
02-04-2017, 01:00 AM
You guys know the one right, it's the JD with The Kawasaki industries two stroke motor. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

It was so fast in fact Honda bought out the rights to it in 1985 and promptly stopped producing them.[emoji14][emoji14][emoji14][emoji14][emoji14][emoji57]

russ98atc
02-04-2017, 01:04 AM
Garage is all "green" Very nice trike you have.

Is the dog peeing on the JD? :)

Yeah my dad's pretty big into the John Deere garden tractors. And no the puppers just sniffing around the new toy:lol:

What kind of alxe did you find as your replacement. You should keep those stock fenders, they look pretty nice to me.

I bought one of ebay and today I received it it and popped the sprocket hub off, what do you know it's bent worse than the one I that was on it.... So now I'm in search of an unbent durablue or Lonestar. Maybe even another stocker

russ98atc
02-04-2017, 03:25 PM
So today I decided to check the flywheel on my tecate. To my surprise I pulled off the flywheel wheel cover and a decent amount of water came out AAARRRRGHHH:cry: .So upon finding that I got looking around and right by the clutch shaft on the case runs a crack right up to the gasket surface of the clutch cover..... WHAT THE trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. So I think for now I'm just going to JB weld it. I hate half arseing things but I really don't wanna pull the cases apart just yet. Also I will be on the lookout for a nice left side crankcase. As for the flywheel and stator I haven't checked them but considering they've been in water I cant imagine there in too good of shape. The flywheel wheel was replaced by the previous owner in 95 so hopefully the magnets are still sitting tight. If not what's the best route to go for a fly wheel a Ricky stator fly wheel or have jeswinehart re epoxy the magnets(if he still does it). For the stator I will probably solder in new coils.

Queef Chief
02-04-2017, 03:52 PM
There are a few Ricky Stator flywheels that pop up for sale time to time, but not very often. If it was me, I'd package up that flywheel and send it straight to Swineheart. He can epoxy the old magnets (or whatever adhesive he uses) and have it looking/performing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeswinehart
02-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Russ, blow the coils dry/clean with compressed air,,, flywheel as well and wipe out as much crud + crap you can and see how good your spark is before buying new coils.
Personally I have never had what I would call outstanding blue arc spartens on a tecate,,,, lot of yellow but normally would run fine.
(Then send me your flywheel :) )

russ98atc
02-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Russ, blow the coils dry/clean with compressed air,,, flywheel as well and wipe out as much crud + crap you can and see how good your spark is before buying new coils.
Personally I have never had what I would call outstanding blue arc spartens on a tecate,,,, lot of yellow but normally would run fine.
(Then send me your flywheel :) )

So even if the coils have been saturated with with water they could still be reliable? I don't wanna be in the middle of a ride miles away from anything and have it crap out on me... I will post pictures once I get it apart and see what everyone thinks. And I definitely will be senfing you my flywheel at some point in time!

jeswinehart
02-04-2017, 04:39 PM
With those coils ( and that includes replacement coils which ticket stator still sells, no more flywheels though) imo they can go out anytime.
If your still work you may want to pick up a set for back up ,,, just saying there is a better then not chance of still being okay.

russ98atc
02-05-2017, 12:52 PM
So not as bad as I originally thought but still has got a decent amount of rust for an area that shouldn't come in contact with water. The flywheel looks pretty decent but I'm still thinking about sending it out for the peace of mind. If you look in the second picture you can see the crack running along the case, I decided just to JB weld it for now and replace the case if it spreads.

jeswinehart
02-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Yeah, lots better then I was expecting too see !
So you have okay to good spark then ?

russ98atc
02-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Yeah, lots better then I was expecting too see !
So you have okay to good spark then ?

Yes I have amazing spark, the thing ran like a champ before I took it apart. I'm gonna blow some silicone around where the wires go in and a new gasket hopefully it'll be water tight.

russ98atc
02-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Made some more progress, I picked up the swing arm. And radiator assembly from powder coat today. Had the axle unbent and painted that and the rotor/sprocket hub. Got my new sprockets on I decided with a 40 tooth in the rear and a 14 in the front hopefully it'll be a good combo. Now I'm just waiting for my fly wheel and suspension and she will be ready to rip!

86T3
02-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Looks great!

smoknrv4
02-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Lookin very SWEET man! Love my 85', just redid the whole top and bottom end on mine, crank, all seals and bearings, just waiting on new coated cylinder and piston now and be putting it back together for spring. My flywheel was from John and he does nice work!

barnett468
02-09-2017, 05:44 PM
So even if the coils have been saturated with with water they could still be reliable?

The short answer is that soaking in water for a prolonged period of time will usually have virtually zero affect on them other than some parts may get a little rusty . Just remove the rust and dry them off as jeswinehart suggested.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

russ98atc
02-13-2017, 06:58 PM
So after three hours of carpal tunnel inducing work I deanodized and wet sanded my front DID rim to be as shiny as my Douglas rims in the rear. I'm not really all for shiny things but it look good awful with mismatch rims. I'm gonna say I will probably never wet sand anything this big again... What a pain in the trailprotrailprotrailpro

OZQUAD44
02-15-2017, 11:19 AM
All I can say is wow, and I wish I had your time and dedication

russ98atc
02-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Got the rear tires mounted last night and received my jug of super techniplate in the mail today so I figured I'd start it up. Thing runs like a champ and my god does that klotz oil smell good! Now all I'm waiting on is the forks and shock back from being rebuilt and the old girl will be ready to rip:Bounce

russ98atc
03-06-2017, 05:15 PM
So finally finished up the tecate. Just waiting on my raptor 660 shock to come in an it will be 100% complete:w00t: So far this is my favorite machine I have ever owned, even over my 250r. This things a total blast to ride!

ironchop
03-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Looks great! Nice work.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

FPMXer
03-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Nice job man! I'm still trying to source the few parts I need to get mine rideable beyond the backyard. How did the rear tires hook up?

jb2wheels
03-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Nice T3!

Please share information about your fork tubes.

Who made them for you, cost, etc.

Rust free T3 fork tubes are hard to find. Must have the thinnest chrome on them ever.

russ98atc
03-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Nice job man! I'm still trying to source the few parts I need to get mine rideable beyond the backyard. How did the rear tires hook up?

Tires hook up amazing, great forward traction and very little sidebite. I plan on purchasing a set for my 250r as well I highly recommend them. Only downside is there on the heavy side.

Nice T3!

Please share information about your fork tubes.

Who made them for you, cost, etc.

Rust free T3 fork tubes are hard to find. Must have the thinnest chrome on them ever.

Fork tubes were made by Frank's forking in Illinois. I'm very happy with them! They cost $320... Little steep but worth it in the long run.

jb2wheels
03-06-2017, 11:00 PM
Fork tubes were made by Frank's forking in Illinois. I'm very happy with them! They cost $320... Little steep but worth it in the long run.

Excellent! I thought Frank's wasn't making T3 forks. Nicely done.

russ98atc
06-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Update: sent the cylinder and new wiseco Piston out to u.s chrome to get it plated and have the Piston coated. To say the least I wasn't too impressed with the Piston coatings. The ceramic coating on the dome had sharp burrs on the outer edge and the black coating on the skirt was so thick that the Piston didn't fit in the cylinder. After loosing my mind for a few hours I looked inside the box it came in to find instructions on how to set up the Piston, had to knock down the coating with scotch Brite. The ceramic coating I ended up hitting with some 1000 grit and all was good. So got it all together and she's running good now:Bounce there's still a knocking noise coming from the right side of the transmission:confused: I still have yet to dig into it, but if anyone has any idea that'd be great! Also I learned the hard way why everyone says to use loctite on EVERYTHING with these tecates, already I've found a few bolts missing and a couple in the driveway:rolleyes:

russ98atc
03-04-2018, 10:11 PM
So tore down. The tecate again this year, this time I didn't skip out on anything. New Lonestar axle, hoosier tried tracs, powder coated frame and swing arm, all hardware zinc plated, Fully rebuilt /new brakes front and rear every bearing on the machine and full top and bottom end complete overhaul. so far just have the motor left to do250847

99gsxr750
03-06-2018, 11:03 PM
Tires hook up amazing, great forward traction and very little sidebite. I plan on purchasing a set for my 250r as well I highly recommend them. Only downside is there on the heavy side.

Did Franks rebuild them too or was the $320 just for the tubes? If Franks didn't do the rebuild, who did you have do it? I have a bent tube so I'm trying to figure out mu options which are slim.
Thanks,
Mike

russ98atc
03-06-2018, 11:29 PM
It was $320 just for the fork tubes. I had a local fellow rebuild them. The Frank's fork tubes were worth every penny after a year of riding they are holding up great

fieldy
03-06-2018, 11:59 PM
How do the tri tracks compare with the Duro tires you were running?

99gsxr750
03-07-2018, 10:35 AM
It was $320 just for the fork tubes. I had a local fellow rebuild them. The Frank's fork tubes were worth every penny after a year of riding they are holding up great

Did you replace the bushings that are discontinued on the lower tubes? If so do you know what was used?

Dirtweed
03-07-2018, 11:20 AM

From what Russ said he is not a fan of the Duros. I grabbed a couple of shots of it while I was there last weekend. Nice trike!
Erics 200s is coming along as well.

250882 250883 250884

russ98atc
03-07-2018, 09:53 PM

To be honest not a fan of the duros. For trail riding there pretty decent and they look cool, but for the time I have on the tri tracs I have a feeling I'm going to like them much more. But the price difference is pretty crazy and the Hoosiers are MUCH softer so they won't last like the duros.