PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my chain drive HELP!

hondajas
02-24-2004, 08:50 PM
On my 1983 Big Red 200E, I have a slight problem with my chain drive. First of all, when I'm driving down the road, I hear a lot of noise coming from the chain guard area. Sometimes when I turn sharply, I hear knocking from the chain area, but not everytime. When I raise the back of the ATC and put it in gear and rev the motor, it sounds like the chain is slapping all over the place in the housing, especially near the motor area (no noise out back) I tightened the chain, it helped a bit. I tightened it some more, but I heard more of a whining, higher sound from the front spocket, does that mean it's too tight? How do I measure the chain slack, in the book it says ¾ inch of slack, but is that meaused by pushing the chain up or down in the inspection hole? For me the difference is quite a bit from up and down)

By explaining this, could it be that my chain is worn and front sprocket? I've got an extra chain (brand new) that I haven't installed yet, and I'm wondering if I should get a new front sproket. Or it could be that I have to tighten it some more, but how about the whining sound, does that mean it's too tight? Please help!!!

hondajas
02-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Anybody?

ATC crazy
02-24-2004, 09:15 PM
If it is making a loud, clicking noise...your sprockets are probably worn and/or you chain is slipping off the very edge of the tooth (not perfectly aligned). This happened to my brother's Warrior.

The slack in the chain should be about 1" total (1/2 up and 1/2 down from center)

hondajas
02-24-2004, 09:20 PM
That's what's weird. There's about ½inch of slack at the bottom, and 1inch at the top. After I drive it, sometimes it's equal. Could it be I'm not loosening or tightening the 4 security bolts in the rear?

smokinp
02-24-2004, 09:24 PM
the same thing happened to my 200,I removed my chain guard and put new sprockets in and realingened my chain and it seems to be fine...Are you missing any bolts in yor rear end that holds the axle in and tightnes up the chain?

hondajas
02-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Nope, all the bolts are there. I was wondering if I should get the front and back sprockets. The front one for sure, but how about the back. All the chain wobble seems to be from the front, nothing from the back.

smokinp
02-24-2004, 09:41 PM
if you get a new front sprocket then you should get a new back sprocket so the wear is more even.If you chain is slipping off allitle bit then you could try loosing the 2 rear bolts (top ones)and try moving the tires back to even up the rear so the chain stays on.

JoeSuzuki
02-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Definitly your front sproket.

185.4rmhell
02-16-2006, 12:18 AM
check the bearings in the axle and in the crank case.

atctim
02-16-2006, 08:07 AM
I would say it's your chain and sprockets being worn out. Push it backwards and it should make some real bad clacking noises. When you replace the chain, you should replace both front and rear sprockets to maximize your wear life on all 3. If you put a new chain on old worn out sprockets, it will wear the chain out quickly. Also check your rear bearings.

crackshot
02-16-2006, 09:29 AM
My 200s did that. Check your axle nut and make sure its tight. ALSO in my case, I was getting a knocking noise. It was loose hub. Check the hub nuts also for tightness. I tightened them up and noise was gone!

1985 200s
02-16-2006, 10:26 AM
I would think he has this fixed by now since this thread is 2 YEARS OLD.