PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping BADLY but it's not what you think?

ndavis1280
08-07-2023, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone. I'll get straight to explaning...

This is for an 85' 250sx. My question...when tightening down the clutch spring bolts, I know they are supposed to be tightened all the way down, but when they are tightened all the way...are the clutch discs in the clutch basket supposed to be able to move freely? Or are they supposed to not have any play movement at all and be tightly compressed together? Because I had to fix a couple things under the right side crankcase cover, which included removing both clutches and reinstalling them, and the plates were still loose, and now the clutch slips really really badly. Me guessing me screwed up and they should be tight.:rolleyes:

big specht
08-08-2023, 05:40 AM
Yep they are supposed to be tight. You got something out of wack

ndavis1280
08-09-2023, 11:30 PM
Ok..so last night I removed the crankcase cover and both clutches. I removed the clutch pack and soaked them in fresh oil (same oil in the engine..10w40 Honda for wet clutches) for only 5 or 6 minutes, put them back in, springs n bolts tightened down evenly all the way, and all the friction discs and plates are tight in the basket..no free play at all. The centrifugal clutch looks in good shape. Put it all back together...and it's still slipping in all the gears. My confusion...is that before I did all this..the clutch didn't have any slip at all! It was awesome. Now it's slipping badly?? When I removed the clutches I held everything together like a sandwhich so when I put it back in - nothing would change. I don't want to have to buy a new clutch pack if I don't have to, but it's looking like I might not have a choice. Knowing me...ill buy it, go to install it and THATS when I'll figure out what the problem is. Idk.

ATC200X4716
08-17-2023, 11:17 PM
Do you have the old clutch stack handy to measure and compare to the new clutch?