PDA

View Full Version : Official thread for Project '81 250r

hondaATCman
03-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Well, as some of you might remember, I picked up a 1981 250r in December for $20 in very rough shape as another restoration project. I was going part this machine out because of the expense in fixing it up but have since then decided to move on with the resto, frame-up. But I do have to say that this will be a "part-time, delayed" project because of the expense but it will be completed. I set up this thread for the whole project so I won't have to post a thousand different topics on the same machine. BTW, I will need a good used parts vendor :D

Ok, well I'm definately going to get rid of the balloon tires!! Big tires + 250r = ugly. Will a 200x or another year 250r front end fit on this machine to give it a more narrow look to it? If so, what other parts (such as brake assembly, handlebars, etc.) will I need to go along with the front end?

Another thing I don't like is the paint scheme. A red engine, red frame, red tank, and red plastics is just a little too much red. Honda went over the edge didn't they? :D What do you all think, red motor w/black frame, black motor w/red frame, or black motor w/black frame?

short4stuff
03-21-2004, 09:11 PM
well the 83-84 front end will bolt right on. As for the color I would say black engine with a red frame would be alright or black and black, personally I dont like a red engine. Have fun with the resto.

ste-pel
03-21-2004, 10:00 PM
are there befor pics?

hondaATCman
03-22-2004, 07:43 PM
are there befor pics?

Yep, here they are. These were taken after I partly disassembled the trike. It didn't really look that bad when it was together.

hondaATCman
03-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Here's one more pic. Man they really messed up when I uploaded them, they have excellent quality on my computer, I dunno what happened :shock: Anyway, I think I'm gonna go with a black motor and frame and maybe leave the sidecovers a polished chrome but I'm not 100% positive yet.

hondaATCman
03-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Ok guys, I have another question. Do the air-cooled models (81-84) have the same frame? I was wondering because I would like to have the 84 front end, gas tank, rear plastics, and seat. Is this possible? or maybe a better question, what parts are interchangeable bewteen the 81 and 83-84 models.

Oh yeah, I've decided on a paint scheme. The motor is going to be black w/maybe a polished stator cover, red frame, and red plastics and tank. It's going to have an 84 front end on it and hopefully the rear plastics, seat, and tank if I can find out if they will work. I'll shoot some more pics tomorrow of the motor.

CHAINSAW
03-23-2004, 01:45 AM
all I gotta say is.. I dont think I coulda brought myself to give 20 bucks for that.. lol Thats in rough shape!

good luck on the resto though

ScottZJ
03-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Well I have a frame I will let go cheap that is an 83-84. It in need of some paint stripping and painting. I also just purchased an 82 250r minus the rear end so I might be parting with it.

brokdown
03-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Man, your project sounds a lot like my '81r project. Got the bike for free, didn't run by far, had no silencer, broken plastics, coat hangers holding the pipe on, shattered rings fused to the head, and a plywood seat covered in what looked like wallpaper of some sort lol. Spent about 9 months and something like 1400 bucks, and it turned out pretty nice. Replaced crank bearings, rod, piston, clutches, plastics, and a bunch of other stuff. Stole the front end, and seat off my project 83 200x, handlebars from a cr125, and extended the swingarm 6" only to find out it's already an aftermarket +2. In the process of making some mounts for the master cylinder for the disc brakes on an '82r swingarm I bought. Here's a pic of it right after It was finished, and one of the 10paddle haulers doin what they should. :twisted: Good luck

hondaATCman
03-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Hey, thanks 85ATC250r!! That basically summed it all up but I do have a question on the front end. I'm definately going to get an 83 or 84 front end but what else will I have to get to make it bolt on and for the wheel to fit. Thanks

BTW, brokdown, that is a pretty sweet looking machine. I'm looking into the $1500-1700 range right now myself. I'm putting some new Maxxis Razr 2's all around.

Does anyone know where I can get an engine bearing/seal kit for an '81? I'm having a tough time finding one and would like to get an aftermarket kit because the OEM's are outrageous!!

ScottZJ
03-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey bra I just got a hold of an 82 250r with the front disc brake and everything. The forks seem to be in great shape and arent leaking along with the nice boots too. Let me know if you want them cuz I might be parting it out. Heck I would let the entire trike go if you needed it all. Let me know........peace

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
in order to use a 83/84 250R front end you would have to use the entire front end., forks., tripple clamps., front rim, tire., hub,., axle., brakes., all that.

md1985250r
03-24-2004, 10:26 PM
i once used a 83-84 front end on my 85 ...tripple clamps and forks from the 84 along with the axle and hub from my 85 worked fine....brake caliper from 85 will not bolt on to the forks of the 84. i still have forks and tripples if you are interested....shoot me a pm..good luck,
greg

brokdown
03-26-2004, 01:45 AM
Not positive, but I don't think there's any aftermarket crank bearings. Bought honda bearings for mine, I think they were like 27 or 28 bucks a piece, plus the seals.

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-26-2004, 02:16 AM
theres lots of different crank bearing makers.,, MOOSE racing., toyo or somethin like that., and others., just gotta look around

hondaATCman
03-31-2004, 05:26 PM
Edit - questions moved to another post

Xowner
03-31-2004, 06:28 PM
if you need parts i got some left from a 82 R i parted out

hondaATCman
04-07-2004, 11:28 PM
edited