PDA

View Full Version : vforce reeds

tecatecrazy
12-15-2002, 04:31 PM
just picked up a delta vforce reed cage and reeds off ebay for $20 brand new.....my question is ,will I need to rejet my carb to accomodate for these or is it a bolt and go swap out? 8) ---Joe

MIK6
12-15-2002, 05:14 PM
When I installed V-force into my 87 Tecate it was a bolt in. I had already jetted for carbonfiber boisen reeds. The V-force reed cage is adjustable, I left them set on the factory setting and had no problem. I love the way V-force feel w/ my tecate.

GOOD LUCK W/ THEM
MIK6 / Mike

tecatecrazy
01-02-2003, 06:18 PM
just an update...I dropped in the the new vforce reed cage today :( man, do I need to rejet. It started fine but wouldnt idle, and it smoked like a son-of-a-b!tch. I know that these things are adjustable, but what purpose does the adjustment servre. I left them at factory preset...cant imagine adjusting the stops is going to help my problem though.anyway, Im going to start by dropping the main jet from 155 to 145(set of 140-150 jets are on the way). Any suggestions how far I should lower the idle jet, I believe that it is a 52 now. c'mon supertuners lets hear what you have to say. Thanks---Joe

tecatecrazy
01-02-2003, 07:04 PM
also can someone tell me how to identify which series of pilot jet that I have, i.e. 13 or 21 thanks---Joe 8)

Mike Fort Laud
01-02-2003, 08:19 PM
I dont exactly know about V-Force instructions. But usually any ttime you let the motor get more air it should need more fuel, so you should be jetting larger. But once again look for a second opinion other that mine. I would call Moto Tassinari and ask them.

tecatecrazy
01-02-2003, 09:47 PM
well its my understanding (im new at this) that white billowing smoke=to mush gas ,so I think I need to jet down not up. anyone else?---Joe 8)

TimSr
01-02-2003, 11:21 PM
I think you need to be looking at your spark plug and not your exhaust, and you need to get it out, and run it at normal operating temps. How long did you drive it before you determined it no longer idles, and smokes too much? You cannot tune a carb by looking at the exhaust. You always go by the plug. It takes jetting to be awful far out of whack to be the cause of over smoking, and if that is your problem, Id say it was bad before you put the reeds in.

As for the reeds, if you had stock metal ones before, it should run a little bit richer now. In 99% of cases wirth just reeds, you will not need to change anything but the main jet, unless it was carbureted wrong before, and probably only about half the time will the main jet even need changed.

tecatecrazy
01-02-2003, 11:40 PM
the reeds that I took out are not metal, they are kind of a clear plastic lookin things ( three pieces to each side) and the plug before was a nice choclate brown color. And yes I did check the plug, wasnt going on the plumes of exhaust alone, the plug was soaked and black. I dont know, maybe when I removed the carb, some how the float got stuck or something. All that I know for sure right now is that it is running super rich today after I changed out the reed valve and yesterday it ran fine. If its not due to new reeds then maybe the problem will present itself when I change the main jet.---Joe

MIK6
01-03-2003, 12:13 AM
When I put my V-force in it was a bolt in w/o any changes, I think you have something else going on. I was wondering if you had a new gasket under the cage (between the cage and the motor, none between the cage and the rubber manifold). Did you get all the old gasket off? how did the rubber intake manifold look, was it cracked or ripped?
That is just some ideas, let me know what is what, and I'll try to help out.
MIK6 / Mike

tecatecrazy
01-03-2003, 12:24 AM
the new cage came with a gasket and the oring or whatever on the boot looked to be in good shape. Everything was clean and looked good when I put it back together. I was able to rev it but was extremely boggy all the way thru the throttle range. It was like it was getting no air or way too much gas. tomorrow I am going to put my other air filter on it ,but I doubt that is the problem. I am also going to pull and clean the carb again, even though you could eat off of it now. Man that sucks when you think you are going to be tearin' it up at the atc/v park only to find something is wrong. I have to admit though , I love to wrench on it.---Joe 8)