PDA

View Full Version : Does this work ...

short4stuff
07-02-2004, 11:41 PM
My friend told me that his shop teacher said if you take say a STD piston and put .020 over rings on it, they will help with compresson because of less blow by. Would this work? .. I guess all you do is file down the ring till it will fit. I guess this is a go-cart racing trick that he did... You opinions ?? ...

TimSr
07-03-2004, 10:32 AM
It will work but it wont accomplish anything since when you file the rings down to the proper end gap, they will be the same as the stock ones. On a two stroke it can be argued that it will make it worse, since the ring ends are notched overlap the pin, and you will have filed off all the overlap part of the ring, so they wont meet at the pin. Sometimes you have to file the ends of the correct rings for proper gap. Has this shop teacher been on here posting tech tips. Sounds alot like some of the other nonsense that passes for tech tips latey!

Dads
07-03-2004, 11:42 PM
It does work for a quick fix, but is costly in the long run. you get piston slap, from to much play in the cylinder. that wears the piston skirt and all the metal runs through the engine. better to bore and get a new over sized piston.

Howdy
07-04-2004, 08:40 AM
I have done this myself a long time ago. My 200x ( I had at the time ) needed rings real bad and I only had 2 days to fix it before a riding trip. I just happen to have a set of rings that was the next size over ( 0.10 ). I filed them down to were they fit the piston / cylinder. I made sure they had the proper end gap and installed them. They worked like a champ.
My 200x ran with these rings for at least 3-4 years after this ( I sold it ). The only reason I sold it is because I got a 350x.
Howdy