PDA

View Full Version : Got ??? on the Headcap for a 350X & 250ES

ClayW
09-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Some of you may remember that I posted a question trying to determine where my 350X is leaking oil. We determined that it was the head cap. Its sealed down with some sealant. No Gasket. Ok this is where my questions begin. I have a 250ES motor that has a cam problem. The motor is out of the bike, and I plan on selling it. So no harm by learning on it. I followed the Honda service manual on doing so. So, I got all of the head cap bolts out and pulled the head cap itself off the head. The manual seemed to jump a step in my eyes. It said nothing about the rocker arms staying on the head cap like they did. So this is my question. First, can you pull the head cap without yanking the motor? Second since the rockers come off with the head cap, does the engine HAVE to be on TDC? The manual doesnt say it has to be. If not, will the valves have to be adjusted. Obviously I will do it while im there. Im just trying to fully understand the procedure. So what do you guys know or think. Will anything else be affected when I pull the cap off. I plan on leaving the rockers in place on the head cap, bolt it back down with sealant, and adjust the valves. ANY insight would be appreciated. Howdy gave me some tips, but didnt say that the rockers come off with the head cap. I know that the ES motor is a little different than the X motor, but they are very similar. John Swinehart let me borrow his service manual. So I have it to work with. HELP!!!

jeswinehart
09-15-2004, 08:19 PM
hey clay ,,, how you doing.
i think if you look ahead in the re-assembly part you'll see it will say to put it at t.d.c. ( top dead center on the compression stroke )
those manuals aren't really geared for the weekenders like most of are (lol) and tend to skip around a bit.
basically all the honda 4 stroker motors are the same so what ever one manual says is very close for the others ,,, excepting the details such as valve lash , timing and the like. just look ahead in the re-assembly part.
look at those rockers while you have them in hand clay + see what the book says about them.

i'm into a project 200es and was hoping i could just get by with a new set of rings. well so much for hoping ,,, piston was chewed up at the top , clyinder was out of specs ,,, got it up to the locole fella for a bore job and new piston to match. anyway ,,, ( got off a bit on what i was gonna say )
i set the motor up at t.d.c. before taking it apart .

sounds like you're gonna get a little rain down your way clay ehh ?

john