PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Oswego Dunes?

Meat-BoX
01-18-2005, 01:18 AM
I was there once on my 4 wheeler. I followed a bunch of guys from the city of syracuse to somewhere in Oswego, along some Rail Road Tracks and to a 100 acre dune at least. I would like to find this dune again as its the biggest ive come accross on the trails around here. Most are usually only a fraction the size of the Oswego Dunes. I want to see how the Tecate will run this summer with the new DG Exhaust System im putting on.

I allso think its an ideal place to have some sand drags. :w00t:

MIK6
01-18-2005, 09:34 AM
When you talk about the Oswego trails, I know most of the east side of the river trails. I have ridden alot of the west side as well. I have never came across a bigger sand lot than the flats that I took you. At one time (when I was a kid) it was about 2 times bigger. You might have actually been riding in my back yard LOL. I can get to some tracks, but it is a big ride to get to from here.
I am getting a trail drag made up, I have talked to the race guys at the sand track. We will be smoothing out the far side and making a sand drag strip in the spring. And if the trail drag won't do what I want I'll bring a bobcat back and do it that way. I have some holes I want to fill in the trail anyways.

MIK6 / Mike

Meat-BoX
01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Sounds good Mike. I will be sure to come up and ride with you guys. You may be right about the Dunes. The 1 I went to was on the other side of Oswego over the river. It had some nice size walls and berms. The spot behind your place is totally cool and I cant wait to do some Sand Drags. :w00t:

350x'inNY
01-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Coool... I didn't know we had sand here in NY. :eek: We can play like those Cal-E-Forn-ia and Zona riders! :p hahahaa Let me know a time and place!

Bruce

03 ORANGE SHEE
01-18-2005, 08:58 PM
is this area around south new berlin??

Meat-BoX
01-18-2005, 08:59 PM
From the North Shore Trails along Oneida lake up to the Adirondaks is plenty of small Dunes. The one in oswego is the biggest i've been to. I was at Mik6's pad and he has lots of sand and trailes out back. Good place to ride.

chris200x
01-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Where do ya think this sand came from? I'm up there at the salmon river every fall and have never came across sand dunes. Unless it all comes from Lake Onterio.

cliff2302
02-16-2005, 04:08 PM
NY was covered by the Atlantic once, it might be left over from then.

mbg75
02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
have any pics of the area? directions?

Meat-BoX
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I dont have pics but I may find some on the net. Mik6 has a sweet place with dunes on his property. They are more like lots of sand with berms as its flat. I guess he will be having a get together there this summer with Trail Rides and Sand Drags. Im sure we could go to the Oswego Dunes allso. Its fun but there are no Big hills like out west. There is alot of sand all along the north shore of Oneida lake and in the Oswego area. We could easily put on over 100 miles everyday we are there of riding . The dunes are North of Syracuse NY about 20 miles north of the NY thruway up RT.81 to the Central Square Exit, and Past. You can see some from Rt81 going North past Central Square.

3leggeddog
02-19-2005, 11:23 AM
keep us posted on the date of that get together this summer.might be a long haul for me but i love ride trips,and would like to experience sand.let me know a date,and a good hotel and i'm there!!!!!

also is it good sand for paddles or just whatever tire kinda sand,i got some paddles i have been wanting to try out.

Meat-BoX
02-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Alot of this depends on Mik6 but he said he wanted to have a get together. I will allso act as guide for anyone willing to ride the North Shore Trail. If you like you may be able to camp at the spot. :beer I may camp if itc cool with Mik6. It would be like camping on a beach with no water around. The sand is Beautifull and white. :Bounce I read recently here about a dude that had His TriZ ripped from his trailer while he was in a hotel. I sleep with my rides. I really believe that we can have a nice sized group and have a really fun weekend. Maybe a Mini TrikeFest for us up here in NY. Lots of trikes around here on the trails allso, and with 100-150 mile daily rides we may pick up some local stragglers and convert them into 3WW members :w00t: :beer

3leggeddog
02-20-2005, 10:32 PM
well like i said i want to experience the sand so let me know when and where and i'll haul my stuff out there,probally a 10 hour drive so it would have to be a fri.,sat.leave on sunday thing.sounds like a good time,so keep me posted!!!!!