PDA

View Full Version : Needle help needed please.

BigGreenMachine
01-25-2005, 08:24 PM
I have compared the stock Tecate 34mm needle (6FL51) and the 38mm TMX needle (6AEJ1-64) and am thinking of using the 34mm needle in the TMX simply because I need a shorter skinnier needle and it fits the requirements.

Heres a pic of the two needles, 34mm on top and both on middle clip setting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/Stocksetting.jpg

Heres a pic of the way I intend to run the 34mm needle, 2nd postition from the top and the 38mm needle is in the middle setting(where I was running it in the bike).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/stockandoneclipfromtop.jpg

James

atczack
01-25-2005, 08:41 PM
I don't want to state the obvious, but if your needle is to short when you open it wide open the velocity of the air rushing into the motor will bend the needle slightly toward's the intake and when you let off of the throttle the needle wont go into the hole, but will set down on the inside throat of the carb and you will be stuck wide open! This happened to me on a TRX 250R that i used to have, I saved it in the nick of time by pulling in the clutch and killing the motor. I put the needle in the clip position where there is more needle sticking down in the hole and was careful not to open it up to far on my way back home. Come to find out it wasn't even the right needle. I got a stock one and no more problem's. I know this doesn't answer any of your question's, but just consider it a free safety tip! lol :D

BigGreenMachine
01-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Thank you Zack, the thought did pass through my head and slipped away until you mentioned it then. I will test it at W.O.T. off the bike first and see what happens.

BigGreenMachine
01-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Anyone have an opinion? The needle is about 3mm shorter and definately skinnier then the 38mm needle.

Hoping for a storm in the morning (supposed to get 15cm of fluff) so I can go test the needle.

BigGreenMachine
01-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Ok, I put the carb together today and used the shorter needle. Zack was right, the short needle came right out of the seat even with the clip on its highest setting. So I put the 38mm needle back in with it one postion from the bottom to make sure it runs rich. If it blackens plugs after the bike is warmed up then ill set it in the stock location again where the bike was running decent before.