PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z Wrench Mods....Which one..

MTS
03-08-2005, 08:47 PM
well...getting the tri-z ported new piston ect ect, wana know if anyone has done it on hear and i am wondring if i should go with phase 1 or phase 2 wrench mods....phase 2 is tempting , but it says that all the low end grunt dissipears and it accelrates like a raped ape......phase 1 doest add to the bottem end but helps the top end.......just wondring if anyone has dose the's mods and which they liked.... :D

One more thing, dose anyone know if the YZ and the TRI-Z have the same connecting rod?

Darius1502
03-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Trust me there are alot of posts on this. I am in the same position you are. I would like to get them done but don't know a shop to do it.

I guess I'll leave mine stock.

Hey...will polishing the exhast port add any power. (dirt wheels said it was good)

What is "chamfering the port edges"?

Don't worry I won't do it myself.

MTS
03-08-2005, 08:57 PM
polishing the exaust port will add to the top end of the bike,...not to sure on chamfering....i have found a guy to do the port work...going over there in a little while to check it all out and see what he has to say....said bout 150$ for a pretty nice job....will see when i get back what i decide to do...prolly phase 1 becuse there are less parts to go find..haha.....and now its gone from just a top end job to a whole motor re-build :\ new crank bearings rod ect ect....joy haha bout 560$ canadian to rebuild this whole motor....yikes!

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Polishing the exhaust port(s) will allow the hot gasses to leave the motor quicker, a cooler motor has more power. Chamfering the port edges is rounding them off so there is no sharp edges. Sometimes when you get your cylinder bored it will leave straight edges on the ports (and alot of the time stock cylinders have alot of sharp edges), if you leave those the way they are.. it adds stress and is a high wear area for the rings. You should never chamfer the ports after a bore, it doesnt take much but a tiny slip of the hand to ruin it. ALWAYS do that typeo of work BEFORE boring. I am sure you have seen a 250R piston with the exhaust side of the rings wore down to nothing and melted? This is usually caused from the rough port edges, and carbon buildup in the exhaust port causing that side of the cylinder to get extremely hot. That is why 250R head gaskets have most of the water directed over the exhaust side. This is a very common problem with the R's , in new pistons you will see 2 small holes drilled in the exhaust side of the piston skirt for extra cooling.

Now about your actual post MTS (dont know why it got hijacked) Its all about the riding you do, and what else you will have done to your engine. You have to decide what is going to be more usefull to you.. pump gas and all around performance, or high octane and a top end screamer.

twgranger
03-08-2005, 10:40 PM
I have had phase 1 done to my Z. What i did was printed the article from quadpit and and gave it to the shop and they said they went alittle more radical than the specs from quadpit. Mine is done for topend. I have to run 110 octane. I think you would be very pleased with phase 1, it is well worth the money.

MTS
03-08-2005, 11:42 PM
hmmm well im just lookin to run pump gas and have an all round good machine....im just gona give the guy the phase 1 specs and if he can improve on the porting without shavin the head more than go for it...i dont wana run race gas lol

Darius1502
03-09-2005, 12:07 AM
interesting point: I heard that shaving the head is essential to the mods.

MTS
03-09-2005, 12:41 AM
interesting point: I heard that shaving the head is essential to the mods.
yes it is, i ment shavin it too much, phase one mods only shave it 0.5mm so it still runs on premium so i have been told....

Darius1502
03-09-2005, 12:54 AM
oh ok...good stuff.

So does boyessen still sell reeds for the Tri Z?

twgranger
03-09-2005, 09:20 AM
hmmm well im just lookin to run pump gas and have an all round good machine....im just gona give the guy the phase 1 specs and if he can improve on the porting without shavin the head more than go for it...i dont wana run race gas lol
If he goes by the specs you can run premium gas. I had them go alittle more radical on mine that's why i run 110. That race gas sure does smell good though. :p and boyessen does still make reeds for it.

MTS
03-09-2005, 04:47 PM
If he goes by the specs you can run premium gas. I had them go alittle more radical on mine that's why i run 110. That race gas sure does smell good though. :p and boyessen does still make reeds for it.
ahh yes the race gas smells good to my nose but it makes my wallet sick :p

03 ORANGE SHEE
03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
i did #2 a while back, but never again, alot cheaper to find a yz bike and put the powervalve motor in, and more power across the board! :beer