PDA

View Full Version : How do i keep the front end down?

toyvette81
06-07-2005, 11:19 PM
i have rode fast 4 wheelrs and fast dirtbikes but never have i ridden anything that wants to stand up as bad as this 85' 350x i just got running right. in order to keep it down i honestly can only give it about 50% of its potential, it comes up with my chest resting on the bars in 1st,2nd&3rd if i even try to get on it a little, im seriousley thinking of making some wheelie bars that attatch and detatch quickly when i want to race one of them 400's or mabye ill just start off in 3rd

Yamaha Tri-Moto
06-07-2005, 11:32 PM
thats why 3 wheelers are so much fun they also take a certain skill to ride.

RideRed250R
06-07-2005, 11:35 PM
extend the swing arm... or just sit on the gas tank,,, you think a X is hard ride a R ....
adam

4cylinders
06-07-2005, 11:58 PM
hey, put more air the tires.

grundlegrabber
06-08-2005, 12:26 AM
How about a big ol counterweight on the front fender? Like the ones on the farm tractors lol!

Pigga
06-08-2005, 12:29 AM
I have a 350x with a race piston and cam I put 3 inches in my swing arm and i have no problem but then again im Freaking huge im 6'5'' and 230 so im guessing your smaller i would put about 5 inches if you want it to stay down and just make shur you keep your tires hard

Yamahauler
06-08-2005, 01:50 AM
I can't imagine the front coming up that easy, especially if you were leaning way ahead. How much do you weigh?

3 weelin geezer
06-08-2005, 10:37 AM
dont lean back so far. Yeah its like a lazboy on wheels that makes it fun. You just can't put your feet up.

Tri-ZNate
06-08-2005, 10:48 AM
ok this is very simple, very simple indeed. Go on some dirt, give it very little throttle and slowly let out the clutch, then the front end will stay down. If your chest is resting on the bars then that thing must have had some real work done to it especially if it comes up in 3rd gear like that. What size tires are on it? If they are like 18's then that is your problem.\

If its too much I'd be glad to take it off your hands :naughty:

Huffa
06-08-2005, 02:47 PM
I have a whole list you can do to try and remidy the problem.

1) have the chain adjusted as far back as possible (might have to add a link)

2) either put a stiffer spring on shock on back (might be squatting too much) or adjust the preload of spring you have to max or stiffen up the compression on the shock. I doubt the 350X has a external adjuster for compression so this would have ot be done by a shock technician dude.

3) soften up the front forks by using a lighter oil (this will tuck front end down) DON'T do it if the forks are soft already though

4) feather the clutch when starting out. Thats the way your supposed to do it on a start anyway. You don't just dump the clutch and let the thing fly. The clutch is your traction modulater and works very well doing it like that. This will work with all the gears but on a 4 stroke it's pretty abusive clutch wise so use it only when you need it to control the front end.

5) gearing too plays a role - maybe it's geared down qite a bit from stock?

toyvette81
06-08-2005, 02:53 PM
it has 22" tires on the back, i am 5'8 145 lbs. that is alot of it, and i understand that the 350x will hang with the R until top end?, about 10 min's ago my 47 yr old dad got on it for the 1st time leaned forward in 3rd and it came up, scared him, and he said he aint getin on it again lol he is 165lbs
for whoever was the sarcastic 1 and said let the clutch out slow and it wont wheelie lol thankx, i knew that 1 and when i say its wheeling i am not dumping the clutch i am just hiting the gas midway through 3rd not jerking the bars or anything, i was just wondering if any1 starts off in 3rd?

83200e
06-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Put an ice chest on the front! :beer

toyvette81
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
oddly enough when i lower the pressure in the tires it is does not come up as much, i figure they squat and take some of the initial torque away. when i pump them up to where they are on about 4 inches of tread is when its the worst. i am very easy on my clutch when im just riding around i completly let off the gas, shift, let out on the clutch, then give it some gas, mabye it has had work i have no idea this guy was clueless, he swore it was a 5 speed. it might hav had the works done to it 4 all i know, ill tell you what though you can feel the air smacking you in the face from 30ft away, its so awesome blowing dirt that far away

250r'en +TCB
06-08-2005, 03:10 PM
How much do you wiegh??????? The fronts come up real easy on trikes but still. I'm 15 and weigh 135lbs, yet I can pretty easily keep my 250r ATC down? That X must have serious engine modifications to it to wheelie like that.... Maybe the guy souped up the engine and never extended the swingarm, which is a bad move...............

OldSchoolin86
06-08-2005, 03:46 PM
and i understand that the 350x will hang with the R until top end?
Ahhhhhh, no. An 85-86R should easily beat a 350x. What size sprokets are you running? Sounds like it's geared way too low. 350x's are great but they shouldn't be this hard to ride.

Mike_Ham_250R
06-08-2005, 03:46 PM
On my waterpumpeR i can keep the front down if i dont have the throttle pinned and blow thru the gears. I am 13, 6'0, 190lbs, my tires are fairly hard in the back and the rear shock might be going bad cause it doesnt take much to bottom it out. So if i were to bet on it, your riding wrong or the 350x has some serious mods.

toyvette81
06-08-2005, 04:01 PM
man i dont know much yet i havent had the time to check the sprockets out. i know there brand new and new o-ring chain. he said they were stock but he bought it and never rode it in 2 years and the guy before him didn't ride it in 3&1/2 years. i think this 3 wheeler is basicly brand new & just getting broken in, he gave me the old sprockets thd they were perfectly fine, they looked brand new also, he just wanted to replace them. this bike just has a serious initial jerk when i hit the gas. it hurt my dads neck.... just putting in 3rd and i want to go and it wants to flip i really have to monitor the throttle to keep it down and its very light in the front end in 4th, im sure its just typical for a 3 wheeler but good lord its tough to ride, i want to see what shes got but i really cant lol, mabye ill sit on the bars backwards that should work lol
im also running 93 in it if you guys think that might make that much difference?? my dad had 1 years ago and said it was not like this, but the 1 he had was also about worn out he said
well you also have to remember i am 140-145 lbs a general acception is that every 10 lbs decreases 1 horse power your R would have 5 more hp with me on it( alot on bikes this light)

chris200x
06-08-2005, 04:06 PM
I take it this is your first experience with a trike. Don't hammer on the gas and you should be fine. The way your making it sound is like your running helium in your front tire or something. :D it's gonna take some getting used to that's all. Can you post a pic of this beast?

jenndnn3
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Do like the rest of us light weights. Extend the swingarm.

Tri-ZNate
06-08-2005, 06:34 PM
a general acception is that every 10 lbs decreases 1 horse power your R would have 5 more hp with me on it( alot on bikes this light)

I dont think it is quite that. Im 250lb and my SX has maybe 19 hp. so im running about -6 hp. It that a correct assumption or do you just stop at zero hp?

Mike_Ham_250R
06-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I dont think it is quite that. Im 250lb and my SX has maybe 19 hp. so im running about -6 hp. It that a correct assumption or do you just stop at zero hp?
ROFL! Haha yeah so if this is true... a 50cc pinger should smoke your 250sx

toyvette81
06-08-2005, 10:53 PM
lol i dont know what the deal is i hear that all over the place but i primarly work on cars and thats where i hear it..... i imagine it applys for cars and trucks

toyvette81
06-08-2005, 10:57 PM
well of course i can ride this thing without the front wheel coming up, im talking about racing it or giving it more than 50% gas i ride it alot and where im at its alot of slow riding and MUD its easy to ride with all 3 on the ground but if i want to get up and go it bites on no matter what im on unless its ice, i will probly havet o extend it, this is a fast bike and i want to race some 4 wheelers

1shot
06-08-2005, 11:11 PM
1. get a front rack off a Big Red and attach it.
2. mount a seat on the rack.
3. get a fat girlfriend (at least 300lbs.) and strap her on (rachet straps work great)

That should help, Of course handling will be affected and turning is out of the question.

Glad to be able to help

Ps. I am not being mean to fat people as I am not exactly skinny.....just trying to be a comedian........I know I suck. :-)

bigredhead
06-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Just gotta work the rev's up... don't just hammer it.. grab a thumbfull but make it a motion .. keep the front light.. pull yourself up on the tank like a motocross.

Clutch need adjusting ?

Crank the rear shock up as high as it goes and try that.

Dammit!
06-08-2005, 11:17 PM
This is really simple.

Practice.

Really man it ain't that hard. You should be able to nail it and keep it under control once you have some experience on it.

Don't be afraid to nail it and get the wheels spinning a bit. A little bit of wheel spin can be your friend.

TravEX
06-08-2005, 11:30 PM
This is really simple.

Practice.

Really man it ain't that hard. You should be able to nail it and keep it under control once you have some experience on it.

Don't be afraid to nail it and get the wheels spinning a bit. A little bit of wheel spin can be your friend.

well said,,,just practice alot, and learn what will keep the front end down, try lugging it a little and massaging the clutch a little instead of higher revs and quicker clutch work.

Pigga
06-08-2005, 11:55 PM
i bet its geared down really low Because mine will do the same thing when i put my 12 toothed front on check the sprocket sizes the front should be 14 i dont know the rears size. No i dont think its the motor it would be the gearing be cause i have engine work done and mine will only weelie like that with the 12 front on. and yes they do have an external shock adjuster Huffa

toyvette81
06-09-2005, 02:16 PM
it has a 13 tooth front sprocket and a 40 tooth rear, does any1 know what the rear should be? 40 sounds high too me. well Pigga you may be right .i am in between a 12 tooth front and 14 tooth so thats some of the reason it wheelies this way any1 let me know if my rear is different than stock

honda200
06-10-2005, 08:21 PM
if you want to drag race, do what i did with my old warrior, i pout a 16 tooth on the front and a 39 on the back, still a bit of low end (enough to wheelie) but in top end it totaled other bikes

Curtis

Mike_Ham_250R
06-11-2005, 12:36 AM
3. get a fat girlfriend (at least 300lbs.) and strap her on (rachet straps work great)

That should help, Of course handling will be affected and turning is out of the question.

Glad to be able to help

Ps. I am not being mean to fat people as I am not exactly skinny.....just trying to be a comedian........I know I suck. :-)
Haha... good one

yater
06-11-2005, 01:10 AM
pull the fork up a few mm in the clamp. What size are your rear tires? Something isn't right here

Tri-ZNate
06-11-2005, 06:38 AM

Glad to be able to help

And shock blowouts may occure. :D

Also does anyone know how much horsepower an ATC 70 has? I rode one of those so it must have had like -18 hp.

Mike_Ham_250R
06-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Haha I almost bought a Tri-Zinger... so id be around that too

toyvette81
06-11-2005, 04:59 PM
guys, its a general assumption, no you dont minus it out its not really like taking the horsepower away its hard to explain, most of the top drag racers from funny cars to street cars have heard this. i have toys like a skateboard with a weedeater motor on it with probbly 2 hp & it goes i did not say small motors will not carry a large adult. but a 5 yr old kid weighing in at 40 lbs on a honda 50 would dust a 200 lb man on the same bike, do some of you kind of understand what i am saying, that assumption is to a point not to the sarcastic point of negative horsepower and some people forget torque, a whole different story.. mabye that helps carry you with - hp

Mike_Ham_250R
06-11-2005, 05:55 PM
We are just playin with ya

Tri-ZNate
06-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Yeah were messin with ya. If an engine had negitive horsepower then it would be in trouble.

Dammit!
06-11-2005, 08:53 PM
guys, its a general assumption, no you dont minus it out its not really like taking the horsepower away its hard to explain, most of the top drag racers from funny cars to street cars have heard this. i have toys like a skateboard with a weedeater motor on it with probbly 2 hp & it goes i did not say small motors will not carry a large adult. but a 5 yr old kid weighing in at 40 lbs on a honda 50 would dust a 200 lb man on the same bike, do some of you kind of understand what i am saying, that assumption is to a point not to the sarcastic point of negative horsepower and some people forget torque, a whole different story.. mabye that helps carry you with - hp

I've heard of it before but it's a mathmatical formula that uses percentages. Weight to horsepower ratios and what not.