PDA

View Full Version : kx250 stator & coil

fizgiggizmo
11-25-2005, 08:57 PM
I've got an 86 kx250 t3 and I am trying to check the stator and coil resistance does any body know how to and want they should be.
Thanks Todd

TeamGeek6
11-25-2005, 09:03 PM
If its a CDI ignition, the stator should have two windings:

ignition winding: 100-300 ohms
lights winding: too low to measure without a special ohmmeter

ignition coil:

spark plug wire to either small terminal. 5000-15000 ohms, depending on the coil and spark plug cap

resistance between the two small terminals on the coil, probably too low to measure with an ordinary ohmmeter.

Wiring diagrams are here:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/WiringKawasaki.shtml

fizgiggizmo
11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
I just measured the stator between the bl-w/r wires and got 24 ohms.
The coil I have has one terminal on it. I measured from ground to the terminal and got 1.0 ohms and from spark plug to ground and got 0 ohms and that is with out the spark plug wire on.

Thanks Todd

Unclediezel
11-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Just a guess- But it doesnt have spark?

Kawi CDI boxes BITE- I know is tuff , but find someone who has an old style ignition scope, I have ohm'd out countless coils , and found that the results arent always true, (In range -but doesnt work---Out of range but works perfectly) . If you can get your hands on a scope--it will be cut and dry--It either pulses or it dont.

TeamGeek6
11-26-2005, 10:24 PM
I just measured the stator between the bl-w/r wires and got 24 ohms.
The coil I have has one terminal on it. I measured from ground to the terminal and got 1.0 ohms and from spark plug to ground and got 0 ohms and that is with out the spark plug wire on.

Thanks Todd

The coil cant have one terminal, somethings wrong???? Unless the other is a screw mount. Now im confused.

1 ohm is about right from the terminal to ground, but zero ohms on the spark plug side is way low, it should be several thousand. It might be shorted, but dont replace it until youre sure the reading is correct.

HAving said that, Uncle Diesel is absolutely right, dont trust resistance readings too far and yes, the only accurate way to test is with an oscilloscope.

Check this link and tell us if any of these wiring diagrams are the right one??

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/WiringKawasaki.shtml

Before spending money on it, throw it on a trailer and bring it down and well scope it out, i have a nice oscilloscope and precision ohmmeter. Im in NE Ohio West of Lima.

fizgiggizmo
11-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the offer but too far to drive- hoping to figure it out here-thanks for the offer- ya never know if I can't get it running just might see ya.

The one I have is #3 wiring diagram.
The t3 has sat for about 10 years I put a new stator and flywheel on it when I parked it an it ran fine at that time. I just pulled it out to sell and now it doesn't run (ran once then quit).
Cleaned the carb, put in new plug, added gas and it started on sec. kick ran great for about 20 min. and came to and idle and quit.
Tried to restart no go then checked the plug, it was wet but had spark. I cleaned plug and tryed again no luck.
So then I pull started it and it started run for about half hour come to idle and quit. Would not restart! Pull or kick.
Pulled carb. (cleaned idle jet main jet and all passages checked for spark it was there and compression 135psi).

Any ideas? I am at a loss!

Thanks.

Unclediezel
11-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Yammis have a filter in the tank----Im not sure about your Kawi- but if it sat that long---and you do have spark---make sure there is actually fuel getting to the carb

fizgiggizmo
11-28-2005, 10:17 PM
I pulled the pit cock off and cleaned it- yep it's getting fuel.

When it ran it ran great- confused why it won't restart.

BigGreenMachine
11-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Compression sounds real low, should be up around 160 or more. If you have fire, air and fuel you have a runner but low compression it won't run.

monster 84r
11-28-2005, 11:34 PM
135 is pretty low, but it should start with that much.