PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 1983 Tri Moto 200K problems

timex69
01-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey
I posted a post a while back that claimed I had a Yamaha 200 Yamahauler but ive done a bit of research and with some help from Howdy ive reached the conclusion that its a Yamaha 200K but heres my problem:

When i purchased the 3 wheeler it didnt run and the guy claimed it was a carb problem so tonite i took it apart soaked the jets in carb cleaner for 2 hours then blew them out with an air hose and I blew through the holes both jets go into on the carb, I also removed the idle screw and the choke and blew them out as well so im positive the carb isnt plugged up. Ive checked for fire and im getting lots. We pulled and pulled tonite and dumped a bit of gas into the carb and all I could get was a few backfires and some smoke coming out of the breather box.

Ive rebuilt about 6 - 2 stroke motors in my time but this is my first 4 stroke experience so I sat down and thought about my problem and ive reached 2 conclutions, one being the backfire means my timing is off because the spark is either coming too soon or too late and the backfires are just the product of poor detonation. If you think this is the case could someone please tell me in detal with pictures if possible how to set timing. The plug seems to be wet so I think its getting some fuel but mabe not enough? any ideas would be really appreciated.

Alex

timex69
01-17-2006, 07:12 AM
also is this a popular trike or is it harder to find parts for because their seems to be nothing on ebay?

Howdy
01-17-2006, 10:22 AM
I will make a call this afternoon to get my manual back ASAP. Once I get it I will scan you some information. I am trying to burn my scanner up before the warranty is up. lol

also is this a popular trike or is it harder to find parts for because their seems to be nothing on ebay?

Not too many people list parts for these on Ebay because there really isn't a good market for the parts ( via Ebay ). What parts do you need for yours? I have some parts for this model. ;)
Howdy

TheOlderFox
01-17-2006, 10:26 AM
To check the timing, it is easiest to due it with the pull start cover off. There is also a timing check plug over on the top surface of the case by the pull start. (Larger slotted screw/plug). Remove that plug and looking down you should be able to see your rotor. Loosen the cam chain tensoner. Put a 17mm wrench on the pull start basket bolt so you can turn the engine over, removing the spark plug will help too. Remove the cam chain cover from the engine head. There is a pointer on the engine head by the (top of the cam sprocket) , with the wrench, turn the engine over so that the line that is cast into the sprocket aligns with the pointer. Look into the timing check plug. Hopefully you will see a line there with a "T" by it. If you don't turn the engine so the cam spins 360 and check again. The pointer and sprocket mark need to be aligned with the "T" mark line in the timing plug. If these don't line up you will need to remove the bolt holding on the sprocket and move the sprocket X number of teeth forward or back on the chain until things line up. Tighen the cam chain tensoner, spin the engine over 360 and recheck the marks. Hopefully you will see the two marks that need to align at the sprocket and the timing mark on the rotor when you get into it. It isn't that difficult to do, just use a flashlight so you can see down at the rotor easier.

troy
08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I have a YTM 200e with rev and shaft driven.. I had the same problem, backfiring, turns out it was the exhaust leak at the front of the engine, I notice as soon as i let go of the gas, BANG, a really dry backfire, same as gearing down, All due to a small exhaust leak, so check that out.:)

troy
08-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey
I posted a post a while back that claimed I had a Yamaha 200 Yamahauler but ive done a bit of research and with some help from Howdy ive reached the conclusion that its a Yamaha 200K but heres my problem:

When i purchased the 3 wheeler it didnt run and the guy claimed it was a carb problem so tonite i took it apart soaked the jets in carb cleaner for 2 hours then blew them out with an air hose and I blew through the holes both jets go into on the carb, I also removed the idle screw and the choke and blew them out as well so im positive the carb isnt plugged up. Ive checked for fire and im getting lots. We pulled and pulled tonite and dumped a bit of gas into the carb and all I could get was a few backfires and some smoke coming out of the breather box.

Ive rebuilt about 6 - 2 stroke motors in my time but this is my first 4 stroke experience so I sat down and thought about my problem and ive reached 2 conclutions, one being the backfire means my timing is off because the spark is either coming too soon or too late and the backfires are just the product of poor detonation. If you think this is the case could someone please tell me in detal with pictures if possible how to set timing. The plug seems to be wet so I think its getting some fuel but mabe not enough? any ideas would be really appreciated.

Alex

Same here, 2 stroke engines only, never touch a 4 stoke before, And i have to change three things, two gasets and the head, which means retiming the new head to the bottom pully of the chain....

zulu
04-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I have a 4 stroke Yamaha YMT200/200ER and I'm looking for a workshop manual. Please help would apreciate it

MonroeMike
04-22-2010, 04:25 PM
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf