PDA

View Full Version : OK, they Big Red doesn't move now, What did I do?

thefox
08-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Alright the machine is a 1983 Honda 200E, lower hours and probably the first time it has been apart. I replaced the stator and figured I would remove the cutch cover so I could clean the oil rotor. Since I had the cover off I also put in a clutch kit (friction plates and springs) that I had hoping it would make the machine shift easier (it shifts ok but is hard to get into neutral and just takes more force to shift then I would like). So after letting the new clutch plates sit with oil on them overnight I put them in today. Everything went together fine but when I started it; it would sit but not go anywhere. So I took the clutches off again to inspect everything, it looked ok. I tried shifting the bike without the clutches in and it seemed to work fine, after installing the clutches I tried again and still it felt fine. So I put the cover back on, fill it with oil, adjusted the clutch, and start it up. Now it jumps a little when I shift it into gear but still won't move. What do I check now? Did I forget to do something?

ClayW
08-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I cant say for sure, but it sounds like its either too tight or too loose. Sorry I cant be of any more help.

Clay

Oldshell4481
08-15-2006, 10:31 AM
this may sound dumb but is it all the way in high or low range?

atctim
08-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Also sounds like it needs adjusted one way or the other to me too. This happened to me once with my 250SX. Have you played around with the clutch adjustment screw yet???

jason 32
08-15-2006, 08:39 PM
typical clutch -fiber friction fiber ect...
did you leave a plate out??
take off the clutch cable and try it/or is it auto?

thefox
08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
I have tried it in both hi and low range, same thing happens.

It does feel like the clutch and I have tried adjusting it several times but still nothing. I did alternate the fibers and friction plates when I put the clutch together. I just swaped the new ones for the old ones and left the friction plates in the same order they were in before.

traxxasx
08-16-2006, 06:11 PM
your friction plates could be warn down and smooth and not catching anymnore.

thefox
08-16-2006, 09:59 PM
OK, I got it going tonight. I pulled the clutch cover again and took everything off, wiped it all down, oiled it up and reassembled. I think the adjuster was sticking or something.