PDA

View Full Version : Need some SX brake help

Lomax
08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Ok, the 250SX is an 85 model in case that makes any difference. I went to ride it yesterday and the rear end locked up tight. I am asuming the brake shoes came apart. Anyway, I backed the adjustes off all the way hoping to gain some ground but i didnt get anywhere. Next, I decided to remove the backing plate/drum (as of right now, they are one peice lol) in hopes to be able to get some free play but I havent gotten far there either. By holding the backing plate and tapping the drum at a downward angle with a hammer i have gained a little ground but not much. Really need some other ideas with this because I am making the outside of what was just a perfect looking drum look really bad in a hurry with this method. Any idea's on how to seperate these two?
-Will

ScottZJ
08-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I never had that issue with my 86 SX but the 85 was a different story. I forced it to roll as much as I could. THen I took a rubber mallet and hit the fool out of it until it would break loose. I dont know much else to tell you bra but it was a pain, I know that for sure.

chris200x
08-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Did you take the two little screws out? that hold the drum to the hub? this thread may help a bit.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=56294

Lomax
08-22-2006, 04:44 PM
I think when i get off work i will bring the thing up here where all the tools are and use an impact driver and see if those screws come out. They are already somewhat damaged from someone else in the past monkeying with it. We will see what happens

Lomax
08-22-2006, 04:55 PM
I just located another 85 SX, its basically a parts machine that will still crank up and somewhat run. Its 95% less the plastics and I can pick it up for 150 bucks. Think its worth it?

chris200x
08-22-2006, 05:07 PM
I just located another 85 SX, its basically a parts machine that will still crank up and somewhat run. Its 95% less the plastics and I can pick it up for 150 bucks. Think its worth it?

That right there is a no brainer! :) always nice to have a parts bike lying around.

If I'm not mistaken... I think those two screws were loctited in. a torch to heat it up a bit may help also.

Tri-ZNate
08-22-2006, 08:58 PM
2 flat head screw drivers. Put between the plate and drum and pry. Should come right off.

Name Brand
08-23-2006, 12:07 AM
On my other '85 SX, the rear wheel bearing on that side had failed. The loose ball bearings ate the shoes and drum and stuck themselves in the grooves effectively holding the drum on. The previous owner must have ridden a long way with it like this. I got it to pry apart by ripping the shoes off of the backing plate. Dunno if you have the same problem, but this is something that can happen.

On both my SX's I used my cordless Dewalt drill to remove the screws. Just find the right bit and put the drill in low range, no problem.

And yes, buy that $150 SX. You will come out ahead on just the little parts.

Lomax
08-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, I bought the 150 dollar machine. IT RUNS alot better than i thought. I shot some either to it (been setting for over a year that i know of) and it fired up on the second kick and ran for a few seconds. I did that 3 times and never got any smoke from it. If it wasnt for the broke frame I would say its worth fixing over mine lol

smackkk
08-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I would liketo have that 250sx engine lomax ?