PDA

View Full Version : Hydroplaneing

Tecate250
11-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I love hydroplaneing. But I want to better my skills at it to beat my friends.
I have experimented at different wheelie heights to allow for more/less time for the front wheel to come down. I never though of doing this till I seen a clip of dirt bikes hydoplaneing. I run flat bear claws in the back and they seem to do the trick fine. I have had a fewe spells and even a lay down. Also winter will soon be here and I live right on a lake with river in sight too. It is very shallow and my friends will have easy excess to me and my bike.

Would sand tires work better worse for this.
I really want to buy a set to try out in snow. Any advise on driving in these conditions?

tyman
11-01-2006, 07:46 PM
sand tires will work good for deep snow.. but will dig deep in shallow snow and tear up grass... don't get them if u ride in grass (like your yard) and don't wanna tear it up.... just get 4 snow tires... not sure what brand they are... ask around.. someone's sure to know... i hear they work well...

Tecate250
11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Im afraid of not being able to use them. The closest material to sand/snow is the gravel pit. An I don't think sand tires hold up great in a gravel pit.

PowerTech
11-01-2006, 08:23 PM
maybe a set or realtors?

are you talking about haulin @$$ across a long stretch of open water and staying ontop of the water? like snowmobiles do ?

http://www.americanmototire.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d1036.html

there good long lasting tires to.

4cylinders
11-01-2006, 10:57 PM
hey, realtors are heavvvy, try kenda dune runners. they are lite and cheap, at rocky mountain atv.

Honda92
11-01-2006, 11:47 PM
if your looking for a great snow tire hit up the oshu prowedges. or AMS just came out with a 18" zipper, they are pretty much same as a prowedge or maxxis 4-snow but a hell of a lot smaller. but non of them will hold up if you ride them in dirt and such all the time.

ATCR250R
11-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I can vouch for the Maxxis 4SNOW's! My friend had a blaster he beat the living **** out of for like a whole year or more with those tires and never one problem. As far as I know they are still on it today and when I say beat I mean like mud bogs, gravel, ice, snow, paved roads, burnouts, jumps, you get the picture haha. Definitly great tire and I saw a magazine article saying when cpmpared to pro wedges in dirt drags they exceeded them most all of the time....Whatever the choice good luck!

digity x
11-02-2006, 09:47 AM
kenda vipers work well with the tecate i had 2 85's worked well with them

2strokes4life
11-02-2006, 02:25 PM
pure sport realtors are all the best for snow.

MathGSR98
11-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Maxxis 4-snow is really the best tire for snow... It looks like they are also one of the best for sand drag, see: http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2002/071202_maxxis_4_snow_tire.htm

I would definitively buy them for snow. They are soft and expand a lot, so you can get a really high top speed...

conig
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
realtors are heavy but would work well in snow, they suck in sand though.

i have a set of dune runners and don't care for them. I don't dislike them but I don't like them either.

the zipper would be better on gravel then a pro wedge or 4 snow, the prowedge is the softest of the bunch and the zipper the hardest. the prowedge is a great, grass, clay, light sand drag tire.

KASEY
11-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT TRYING TO WHEELIE INTO THE WATER,,,, if the frontend comes down to hard,,, you will be kissing water ,,, i have done this alot in the dunes over shallow water,,, it gets tricky but the rewards are awesome when you do it too,,, i did 150ft over water 3 feet deep,,, the trick is to stay straight,,, if you come off the water tapped out in 5th gear a little sideways and hit the sand,,,,,,,,,,, ITS OVER!!! its alot of fun too,,,,,,

Tecate250
11-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I get the front end up to put maximum power to the rear wheels.
As for (Gaps) as we call them on snowmobiles. To do this it will be in winter and I might get some tires. My bear claws are getting worn from doughnuts on pavement. I have heard Realtors are killer. Anyone have a pic of a tecate with realtors? But those are alot more cha ching then sand tires.

PitboyJohn
11-04-2006, 07:52 PM
i had realtors on my old blasterd.they were awesome for powerslidin,donuts and throwin mud.i can see them bein good for hydroplanin caus e of the design,never tried cause the yamahahaha was broke down more then it ran lol

brapp
11-04-2006, 10:08 PM
i have hydroplaned my stock 350x on short distances on occasion. the best tire is the realtors. i cant seem to do it with a light tire.
the water sucks it down toomuch. you almost want a heavytire i could do it on about 30-50 foot or so but be careful keep your weight farrrrr back and let the tires do the skimming and fyi make sure its abald front tire ot it will nosedive an dhurt very badly. i speak from experiance

Tecate250
12-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Wow! forgot all about this thread. Update. My Tecate loves going over water. I have a video of me crossing very unsafe ice with open patches with my go pro. But didnt have the go pro when I did the big open stretch.

SSLS1
12-12-2015, 01:35 AM
Well, let me be the first to say I'm sure we all want to see your Tecate skimming open water. :) Post up a video link please.

Jmoozy27
12-12-2015, 01:45 AM
Video-Video-Video!!!

Tecate250
12-12-2015, 11:26 AM
90% of the ice i ride over never freezes in winter. I lost all my studs from front tire so steering was inpossible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaeZ7WUwdoM
Now this video the lake only had an inch of ice on top of slush and water that was on top of 18 inches of ice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zzjr0o6sEI

SSLS1
12-12-2015, 04:22 PM
You my friend are crazy! LOL You just missed that tree in the first video. :w00t: Last winter our lake had over 18" of ice so no open water but I had a blast riding on the ice and snow. Friends say I need a snowmobile, I say for what.... for the 2 months out of the year I can ride it? No thanks, I ride my trikes all yr long. :)

Thanks for the video links! :beer

Tecate250
12-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Just wait to see if the gaps are open. Ive made this pass that was 100 feet of open water in 2013. And you dont want to know what I want to do with a sled. A kawasaki invader 440. Found me a set of realtors. I just hope I can get them.

Keepah Rolln
12-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Always fun driving on the ice. I take my sx's ice fishing. No ice or snow here yet this year sucks bad...

Tecate250
12-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Open water gaps is where its at. Can't wait for the water to freeze.

smrover1
12-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Wow does this bring back memories, It was back in the 80s me and my buddy two up on my three wheeler hitting a long water crossing. Lets just say all I seen coming up from the water was three wheels sticking up. Only if I could go back and just relive one of those days? I guess its up to my 3 boys to live those days. Good memories though

Tecate250
12-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Not my video but this video started it all. Much more impressive then my videos. Except if I fell in id freeze to death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMnI5vPiEjI

El Camexican
12-15-2015, 11:58 PM
A couple weeks back I found an old photo a buddy took of me a split second before I went OTB doing that:w00t: I need to scan and post it one of these days.

hawaiirider
12-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Not my video but this video started it all. Much more impressive then my videos. Except if I fell in id freeze to death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMnI5vPiEjI

wow these guys are nuts!! i live in the oregon dunes and have only seen dirtbikes and sand rails water skip. how did those guys not get hurt!? must be pluff mud.. still see rocks and roots that could impale you. this is the type of situation id sit back watch and have a beer instead of trying it!! lol

Tecate250
12-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Thats why there are people like us. Completely nuts.