PDA

View Full Version : 350x tank restoration *UPDATE* Results pics Page 5

Dammit!
12-13-2006, 11:04 PM
I recently sent my 1986 350x tank to sykolincoln for some much needed restoration. This will be the progress thread.

Here's the before pics. They don't do how bad it was justice. :lol:

SYKO
12-13-2006, 11:10 PM
here is the tank stripped down to the metel, some of the dents I managed to push out, but one on the left side required alittle studding and pulling

I had to use a half gallon of aircraft striper to strip the tank down as there where 3 paint jobs on it and other repairs to go through to get it to the metal

SYKO
12-13-2006, 11:14 PM
now I put a few coats of a etching primer to seal in the bare metal, next after that was dry I reground the areas where I needed to add filler, and as I always have doen to motor cycle tanks I use jb wled to start the filling process, after that dries I sand and shape it, only adding a light coat of filler to the whole tank, more pictures tomoorow!

jsimonh
12-13-2006, 11:44 PM
I reground the areas where I needed to add filler, and as I always have doen to motor cycle tanks I use jb wled to start the filling process, after that dries I sand and shape it, only adding a light coat of filler to the whole tank, more pictures tomoorow!

So you use JB weld as a type of filler? Does it hold up well? I have never heard of this, but it sounds very interesting.

SYKO
12-14-2006, 12:06 AM
do you have the the mount still for the inside? yes I can restore it, is it leaking any where? very important to mark all leaking areas, alot of times after I restore the out side you need to redcoat the inside, to prevent a later faillure

jsimonth I use jb weld for alot of things, when I do shaved door handles/tailights any custom work I use it, its chemical resistant, dosnt shrink, is water impervious, and sand easy, sometimes I use a filler called all metal on top of that wich is a very nice metal body filler.

SYKO
12-14-2006, 12:17 AM
i can make one pm me

ceaserthethird
12-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I want to see the Result's .... Post some pictures ...

Thanks for helping out the 3 wheeler members ( Sykolincoln ) :Bounce

Dammit!
12-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Dammit I hope you don't mind me posting my before and after pics.

Nope. Go ahead. :beer

bigreddad
12-16-2006, 02:16 PM
those pics are great , i've never seen the process done before ..awesome job

SYKO
12-16-2006, 07:37 PM
well here it is, WOW! look at all that bondo!!!:crazy: lol hahaha, theres only a little, but there were a few rolliing dents in the tank, then came one coat of etching primer for the bare metal, then the good stuf, 2k fast fill primer, a whole 5 coats of it, now I will let it dry our and shrink down before water block sanding to get it ready for paint!!

SYKO
12-16-2006, 07:38 PM
heres the last few pics:p

Dammit!
12-16-2006, 09:00 PM
:w00t: Looks good so far! :beer

Can't wait to get it back together for some "after" pics. :drool: :lol:

longbedGTs
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Youre doing mine next, right? :P Nice job! :TrikesOwn

SYKO
01-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Im still working on it, I will be painting it the first of next week and shoul dbe getting it out to dammit at the end, I llet the primer dry very well so there isnt any shrinking of the materials after they fully cure creating sand scratches and what not.

edit liquid I will post some pics of yours this weekend:crazy:

SYKO
01-07-2007, 11:03 PM
yea, its comming along but I need the space in my camera for work tommorow I'll have some up for sure tuesday, also the same day I plan on painting dammits tank to!! woot!!

rally4x4racer
01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
where did you pick up the JB weld as a body filler. Any Idea on the longevity of it - like, have you done any tanks with it and seen them 5-10 years later..

just curious. I do alot of tank restoration and usually roll most of the dents out from then inside.. then use a little microlite filler. Does the JB adhere better? thanks for sharing your uniqe techniques.

Good job Syko

mudbogger
01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I have a tank as well thats in need of restoration, but it is rusted some inside, can you take care of that as well during the process?
If so, where/ when can I send mine out to you??Would you be interested in it by chance?

SYKO
01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I learned the jb weld trick from a very old car customizer who also did mtorocycls, he used it in the place of bondo, since back then the bondo would only last for a few years, becose it was porous and soaked in water easy, so. .. in other words, you fix something with bondo and paint over it with laqaure primer and you have a recipie for disaster as water can penetrate laquare paint and saturate the bondo underneath causing it to crack and peal. Jb weld adhears wicked to a grinded surface (and clean) dosnt shrink, dosnt get saturated and is solvent resistant, plus its very easy to sand, its used as a precaution, when I pull some dents out it can leave a weak area wich in turn I fill weld them to give them back there strenght, plus a little heat/cold shrinking, then I add the jb weld not onl to fill but as a last precaution for a minute pinholes, wich I work extremly hard to not have. as for your tank mudbogger I have two I am currently working on right now, so email me some pics of what it looks like and I will get back with you on it

rally4x4racer
01-08-2007, 11:04 PM
thanks syko - I just got an old ATC 90 tank off of ebay - IF it has any dents that wont come completely out I will try the JB trick.
I am buying old tanks up off of ebay and restoring them in my spare time...
I am airbrushing on mine tho.. (like my avatar) but most people probably want an original tank..

mudbogger
01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, thanks for the reply, I'll take some hopefully by the weekend and send them over to you-is the rust inside a issue or you can handle it?

Troll 2
01-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Got to like redoing a 350x tank! Good luck on yours......................:beer

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Trikegodtroll/350xtank.jpg

The guy that did mine and airR tank is doing a atc110 tank for us now......................Cant wait:Bounce
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Trikegodtroll/000_1401.jpg

Hi-wheelies................................Troll

SYKO
01-21-2007, 02:00 PM
sorry to take so long on an update, dammits tank is drying alittle more after a reprime yesterday, and will prep and paint tonight or monday, liquids your tank got the blunt of my attack today, I heated up the bad dents, including the crushed in top now I have to strip the tank weld up the holes on the underside and put in the tank bracket, sorry everyhting took so long, with the holidays, the trying to get my flat tracker together, then hurting my bad then on top of all that getting sick as hell.

Dammit!
01-23-2007, 04:08 AM
Don't rush it man. No hurry here. :beer

SYKO
01-24-2007, 08:19 PM
f'n SHIZ!!!! I painted the tank today and guess what?? its the wrong F'N color!!!! GD MF'ER!!!! F'N PISSED!!! paint guy is going to hear it tomoorow!!!!! MF'ER!!!! stupid AZZ!!!! but on the flip side its extremly smooth, probably more smooth than show room new!!! but that stupid Mf"ER got the wrong DAMN COLOR!! ERRRRRRRRR!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dammit!
01-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Are we even sure "shasta white" is the right color for the 86? I think 85 and 86 had different colors (86 was brighter?).

edog
01-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Any progress on the tank?

SYKO
01-31-2007, 05:42 PM
well im jsut waiting on the new paint to come in to check it, then dammits tank will be repainted and out of here next week, then its on to yours liquid!!

BigReds Forever
01-31-2007, 06:43 PM
coolness, i dont know how i missed this post before, but its inspired me to not be afraid to buy crapy tanks on ebay for my projects. my first one is on the way, and ill post some pics later with the project. If it doesnt go well, syko's getting another project!

A question for syko... do you fill the tanks with water before doing any welding on them? my dad has a story of a tank from a car blowing the back wall off his buddys shop :eek: and i dont want this to happen to me;)

SYKO
01-31-2007, 06:47 PM
lol, I make sure there isnt any fumes in them before heating/welding lol!!

SYKO
02-04-2007, 05:07 PM
well I got it all repainted in a nice white color now, very clean with extremely high gloss, deffinitly will look good on the trike man!!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/PICT0002.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/PICT0001.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/PICT0003.jpg

I will get this tank out to ya next week along with those other parts!

Dammit!
02-04-2007, 07:02 PM
w0000000t!!!

Got some 70 parts for you shipping monday or tuesday at the latest. :beer

mudbogger
02-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Any ideas on when I can ship mine out to you by chance?

SYKO
02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
cant see the photo muddy, send all photos to southgacustoms@yahoo.com, with a full description and I wil get back to ya, I have liquids on the table right now, and the majority of the work should be done this week. so... just email me.

rt_linn
02-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Looks good, I'm hoping to do somthing like that to my R soon. Keep up the good work.

SYKO
02-22-2007, 05:53 PM
here is liquiddarkness tank in bare metel

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-525S.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-526S.jpg

it has alot of body work yet to be doen to it! it was VERY beat up!

team-red-rider
02-22-2007, 06:18 PM
YOU CAN FIX THAT WOW!! hey if i had u do a mint R tank in white can u dublicate the flames that are on it?

SYKO
02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
I can duplicate flames probably even better than they are now.

team-red-rider
02-22-2007, 07:37 PM
hmm ok cool the reason about the flames is its an old school graphic and it looks cool ! its black and gold then the flames so its kinda fugly from the gold other wise i like it alot ..! what would u charge me just plain with the flames and possible a honda wing with 250R on it?

SYKO
02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
LOOK AT ALL THAT BONDO!!! lol, not really but I did have to cover the whole tank to fill all the ripples and dings

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-527S.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-528S.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-529S.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-530S.jpg

SYKO
02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
and with alittle primer....

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-531S.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-532S.jpg

now while this set for awhile Im going to work on the bottom side, and OH MAN! if you thought the top was bad! the bottom side is a nightmare!! but I can fix it!!:beer

team-red-rider
02-22-2007, 08:52 PM
WOW Already looks like new

Kintore
02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Damn alan, you got some skills!

Those tanks look awesome!

Dammit!
02-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Just got mine back! Here's some :pics:

Looks like it got a fresh ding during shipping. It was packed really, really well too so something must have hit the package pretty hard to get through all that padding. It's not bad though and it was gonna happen sooner or later anyway since this will be a trail rider.

Question, does anybody know what size tap I need for the shroud mount holes? I just have to clean up the holes, rinse out the tank and then I can put the brand new decals on and mount it on the trike. :w00t:

Too bad the rest of the trike doesn't look this good...

SYKO
02-26-2007, 04:15 PM
damn!! I can see that ding!! ahhhh!!!! that had to be one hell of a hit to do that!!! it was suposed to be marked fragile!!! man IM PISSED! I was sure it was going to get there in perfect shape!!! errrrrrr!!!!

Dammit!
02-26-2007, 04:30 PM
It definitely was not any fault of the packing job, that's for sure. Hell it took me 30 minutes to get everything unwrapped. Plastic wrap, a bunch of egg shell foam and a bed sheet were no match for the post office. I honestly don't know what else you could have done to prevent it. The really crazy thing is, that was on the inside of the package so something had to hit the opposite side so hard that it rammed the 70 rims into the tank (which means it went through TWO layers of thick packing material).

Mr. Clean
02-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately when you put fragile on the box that tells the handlers to throw it around and take worse care of it. I worked as an unloader at UPS during Christmas one year and this was the way they rolled. When I got my douglas wheels, the UPS guy threw the package from the rear of the truck to the front for the guy being trained to deliver to me. NEVER put fragile on the box.

SYKO
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
it just really pisses me off! I would go to the post office and complian doug!! thats bull!

Mr. Clean
02-26-2007, 04:58 PM
it just really pisses me off! I would go to the post office and complian doug!! thats bull!

All that hard work, I feel your pain bro. You could never imagine the stuff I witnessed when you had people who were "union" who knew the system. They got away with everything. After each tractor trailer there was at least a dozen packages destroyed. It was a wake up call to how shipping is handled. Kudos to you syko for packaging with what you thought was sufficient.

oldsking86
02-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Yea that does suck! I personally HATE using UPS because the guys are really rough with the packages! I yelled at one one day for dropping it out of the truck! Could of messed up my new WHEELS!
That's why I stick with USPS they are pretty good with taking care of the packages.. Speaking of which, Doug did the swinger arrive already?

Dammit!
02-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Brandon has the swinger right now. I think he's out of town so I'll probably get it in a couple of weeks.

rt_linn
04-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm about to start up my 83 250R tank project, right now its at a local radiator shop to be cleaned, get a few pinholes fixed, and pressure checked. I should be picking it up tomorrow after school. We are not going to fix the dents though, I know it's not the right way to do it, but that’s how it's going to be done this time. We are just going to fill them with putty, haha. This trike has been through some rough riding by the previous owners, and it’s got some major dents in the tank. I will post some pictures up of it when I get it back if you don't mind Dammit.

dufrain
04-27-2007, 01:22 AM
6mmx1.00 is the threads i think

icp4life162005
04-27-2007, 03:04 AM
dang that SUCKS! So whats the damage to someones wallet for something like this? I'm not planning on having it done but I am curious. (Nothing worth having it done to... yet)

Dammit!
04-27-2007, 03:41 AM
So whats the damage to someones wallet for something like this? I'm not planning on having it done but I am curious. (Nothing worth having it done to... yet)

Lets just say syko gave me one hell of a deal! :lol:

The tank looks awesome on the machine now. I have to get an updated pic. I put one of those fake bullet hole stickers over that little ding. Completely conceals it. Got the repro decals on the tank and fenders now too.

rt_linn
04-27-2007, 08:03 AM
so syko, have you gotten any other buissness with another tank lately?

Would it be ok if i posted pics of mine in here when I get them?

SYKO
04-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I have liquid darkeness's tnak in here now, Im finishing up the major welding to it this weekend and primering the underside, next week it will get painted and red coated folowed by aplication of stickers and then wraped up like a mummy and sent back hopefully just after next weekend

johnny's X
04-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey sykolincoln what a ball park number on what a tank resto would cost.

rt_linn
04-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I just got my tank back, but I can't say it's what I wanted. They said that they could not pressure test it because it was a gas tank and it would be to much pressure and change the shape of the tank. They tried to soder the pinholes but I don't think they even got all of them fixed. I can't complain to much because it did not cost anything, just time that I probably could have fixed it in myself.

Dammit!
04-27-2007, 06:08 PM
JB Weld the holes on the outside of tank, sand it smooth then red kote it and I think you'll be fine.

SYKO
05-24-2007, 10:27 AM
HERE ya go liquid!!!

all white and shinny!!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-440S.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-441S.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-442S.jpg

vintagemotorsports
05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
whats up with the tank mounts , they look bent to hell,

Mike

dovesprings250R
05-24-2007, 04:50 PM
They just had some hoggin done is all. The tank looks great. Though I am sad to say its going up for sale when I get it back. Its too nice to use on my bike with no motor. :lol: Thanks Alan, let me know when it ships.

?!?:wondering

SYKO
05-24-2007, 05:36 PM
the left side mount was completly gone when I got the tank, to figure on it fitting I fabed a tank mount bigger than the original so that it could be bent and cut to fit when mounted, oK??

dovesprings250R
05-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I was just wondering about the selling it part. Having you do all the work to make it nice and then sell it? Seems kinda chump but I guess you get paid anyway. I bet you thought he was gonna use it though.

SYKO
05-24-2007, 06:43 PM
naw its cool, he's been real patient with me workign on this tank, plus we traded for a few things so its all good

dovesprings250R
05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
That's good. Maybe I just read it funny? Nice work!

SYKO
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
also while I was at it I finnaly painted my 300R tank, as it had a few knee dents in it and I plan on changing it to a white trike now

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-447S-1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-445S-1.jpg

now I goto order some custom decals for it!