PDA

View Full Version : ATC 480 project

Chevy200s
02-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Hi everyone, I decided to make a thread for my little project as I received a few pm's from members who wanted information about this. This is my first progress/update thread so bear with me if its boring or something.

I'm attempting to build an 84 atc 480R, and now that I have most everything I need I can really get started with this project. So far I have: gotten the rolling chassis, test fit the motor into the frame, taken rough measurements for motor mounts and pipe modifications, started tearing down and rebuilding motor.

So far my biggest issue is going to be finding a way to make the kick starter and the shifter lever clear the R frame. I was considering have a 3 inch shaft machined to fit over the spline, and then adapt down to the appropriate size again. If I go this route I will probably need to have some kind of support or brace under neath it so that the leverage doesnt damage anything.

The rear mounts lined up nicely, the swingarm bolt went through without a problem and the sprockets look well lined up. I have a friend who will make the front mounts for me, and a professional welder will modify the stock CR 480 pipe to fit the R frame. I will have more pics of that as I go.

The motor itself was in decent shape, it turned over and had great compression but I figured I might as well take apart and see how it was inside. I thought this would be a good opertunity to add some performance parts. The bore didnt look too bad, and the piston also looked good. The lower half is what needs work. The crank bearings will need to be replaced and the stator is shot. These are being addressed as we speak:)

These are the pics I have for now, again please remember this is my first attempt at a project like this, so try and take it easy on me but definilty let me know if I'm headed down the wrong road. I should also add that this isnt supposed to be a drag trike, I just wanted a really powerful all around trike for all kinds of riding. I bought the 250R from Freaksfix, and the motor is from my CR 480. If you have any questions or advise please let me know. Thanks again guys, and I'll post more pics as I get further along:TrikesOwn

84honda200s
02-11-2007, 01:53 AM
it sounds like you have pretty much all of it planed out. sounds like a hell of a good project. i hope it works out for you.

Chevy200s
02-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Thanks man! So far its going good but I know I got along way to go, like I said this will be a learning experience for sure. I wouldnt even attempt this kinda thing without having this website/message board

84honda200s
02-11-2007, 01:58 AM
i hear ya there. i wanna find a 200s rolling chassis someday and put a 440cc liquid sled engine in it. haha big dreams probably will never happen but ooo well. when you get it done i bet it will fly. you going to mod the power plant any?

Chevy200s
02-11-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm hoping to, sadly it all depends on money, gotta make sure I dont go too overboard with this one, haha. I would like to get it ported, and I have what I beleive is a 38mm flat slide carb that I will use if its better than stock. Does anyone have any ideas for power upgrades? Thanks!

84honda200s
02-11-2007, 02:07 AM
like you said carb, port work, bored, cam, exhaust and it goes on and on. but you need the cash to back it up. i dont have allot of that lol. i would say the 3 cheapest would be carb (because you have one), exhaust, and (port work if you can do it).

cr480r
02-11-2007, 02:31 AM
The 480 has a really smooth powerband, I would just run it until you have ridden it first. You could always change the porting later. I would just smooth out any casting flaws and run it. Mine doesnt have much over-rev, so a quick left foot is needed to keep it in the power. I would focus on the exhaust and kicker setup. My 480 is very hard to kick( much harder than my '90 cr500 was with a milled head), in fact I cant even start it by ripping on the kicker. It likes short fast half-kicks, definately brace the extension. It outa be a handfull... A fun project for sure.

Chevy200s
02-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks man, good to know! Yours has the 5 speed tranny being an 83, mines an 82 so it has a 4 speed. I hope that doesnt hurt me too bad. Hope to get some more work done on it soon, and will have pics to go with it

84honda200s
02-11-2007, 03:11 PM
danm a 4 speed? you may run out of gears real fast. you should be able to make up for it threw the sprockets. i hope it all turns out for you.

slothminx
02-11-2007, 03:28 PM
He wont "run out of gears" Just may find you dont have the right gear for you speed sometimes with the gears being so far apart in ratio's

MTS
02-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Make sure to look over the trans set really good, the dogs on the end of the gears Wear out fast in the old AC big bores....Caus's em to slip....

Chevy200s
02-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys, great advise. The gasket kit just came in today, so hopefully I will be able to get some work done it soon, has to be ready by trikefest:beer

dufrain
02-11-2007, 07:28 PM
With the lower gearing of the short rear tires, first should be alot better for low speed than it was on the dirt bike.Im pretty sure the transmission on these are a close ratio for the track only.They didnt seem to be geared toward trail riding at all,at least mine didnt.Mine was easy to stall at low speed then if you gave it too much it would spin and catch and snap your neck.I would think sorting out the right front and rear sprockets would be the most important thing for rideability.With the carb and reeds or maybe a rad valve ,it would give it good throttle response and maybe some better top end to.Mine was prett easy to start if I kicked it with my right foot standing off to the side of the bike.

cr480r
02-12-2007, 06:15 AM
The flywheels on theses bikes are extremely light. I bet this would really help alot:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CR480R-HONDA-1983-CR480-83-ROTOR-FLYWHEEL-CASE-EXT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ011QQitem Z320080097206QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW This would be on its way to my house if I had the cash handy...