PDA

View Full Version : 250R ignition mods ?

Dammit!
02-26-2007, 04:20 AM
First of all, I don't want a cr250 ignition because I need my headlight. Just wanted to get that out of the way early. :lol:

I was talking to Fox250r via PM's about a Hinson timing advance plate that he's running. Apparently these are no longer available and I'm coming up empty looking for something similar. So now I'm looking at Dynatek ignition systems. Has anyone here ever actually used one of these that can give me some first hand information? I did some searching before making this post and was surprised at how little I came up with as far as first hand knowledge here. There are two models available. A programmable one for just under $300 and a non-programmable version for $99. Their web site leaves quite a bit to be desired regarding specific info particularly on the non-programmable model. It just says the following;

Non-Programmable Ignition Features

Improved Timing Curves
Higher Rev Limit
Removed Reverse Rev Limit
Overrides belt indicator for full performance at all times
Increased Spark Energy
Improved Throttle Response
Easier Starting
Plug-In Module Replacement (Easy Mounting)

At $99 this might be a nice little mod? I don't know.

The more expensive model has 4 programmable timing curves but I really have no idea what that means in terms of real world results. It has 4 different rev limits. Their web site also has a column called "# of RPM switch outputs" which they say it has 2. That's great and everything but what the hell is a "RPM switch output" ? :lol:

Here's the bullet points on the programmable model. Not all of these features are available on the 250R ignition. Shift kill and launch limiter being two of them.

Programmable Ignition Features

Programmable Timing Curves (4)
Programmable Rev Limits
Increased Spark Energy
Improved Throttle Response
Easier Starting
Programmable RPM Activated Outputs(2) (Can be used for Nitrous Activation, Shift Light, Auto Shifter, or Boost Control)
Tach Output*
Launch Limiter*
Shift Kill Interrupt*(Allows clutchless shifting)
Data logging*
External Curve Selector Switch
Plug-In Module Replacement (Easy Mounting)

I haven't played around with ignition changes on any of my machines before so general info would be appreciated too. Things like the give and take when advancing/retarding your timing. As I understand it, advancing your timing improves top end performance but does it hurt your performance in other areas?

Another thing I was wondering about with the Dynatek is, where is it supposed to mount? And does it plug right into the 1986 250R wiring harness?

Dammit!
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
*bump*

Nobody has ever used one of these?

team-red-rider
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
i have one on my motorcycle its pretty nice (btw the cycle is an 84 VF1100S sabre (4cyl))

edog
02-26-2007, 07:43 PM
I posted the same thing couple weeks ago.Not many responces.

I am getting all new plastic for my 85 250R before I get that.

Dammit!
02-26-2007, 07:48 PM
I might just get the cheaper one and see what it does. It's gotta do something I guess. I'll be putting a Paul Turner High Rev and an extended swinger on there in the next few weeks as well. Looking for just a little more top end. so I can pull 5th up Olds at Glamis. :w00t:

edog
02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Think you would like riding in the snow?

Dammit!
02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I grew up riding in the snow. 4-strokes are more fun in the deep stuff though.

BC250R
02-27-2007, 02:39 AM
I recently went through this as well. The Dynatek as you said has next to no info available and no one would reply to any of my enquirys to dealers and distributors.
There is another unit called a Vortex, it is made down here in Oz but for some strange reason i could have bought it cheaper in the US and shipped it back, then i could here. But i did get to talk to the company owner/designer.
This unit has 10 pre programmed maps (from the manufacturer but they will listen if you know what you want) and a handle bar mounted 2 way switch. The switch can change between 2 pre determined maps on the fly. So you could have a map for say tight twisty bits and then a top end map for the straights. Selection between the 10 maps is done with a screw driver. Apparently a lot of MX guys use them as they are good for a holeshot setting plus race mode. They are available on ebay, bright yellow box. Oh and the last thing, if you ask for a ATC250R they will say there is no listing so you need to look for TRX250R.
SO WHAT DID I GET YOU ASK
As i was having issues with my stator, wiring, coil etc. I needed a full system. I really wanted to go for the Vortex but then i would still be up for a ricky stator stator and flywheel, decent coil (i was looking at a Jansen) all up for about $1000AUS. Then i come across ChrisD home page and read up on his ice racer with its PVL ignition system. He runs an old digital system that is no longer available for anything over a 200cc. I looked into it and ended up buying an anologue system for mine. It has the adjustable timing plate that you were after but a completely different flywheel and stator set up. Instead of the stator being inside the flywheel, the flywheel is a tiny thing about 2" across that sits inside the stator. Really light supposed to rev real quick. Unfortunately i blew my motor before i had a chance to fit it but its going on with the rebuild. The system has coil, wiring, stator, flywheel( and puller) and cost only slightly more than the Vortex CDi. I bought it through Cycleparts-R-Us for about $400US. Theyve got an ebay store.

It doesnt have a lighting circuit but i am looking at adapting a Cat eye set up that mountain bikers use. With the correct lamp ratings it should be a snack. The batteries are compact and light weight so the rider isnt wayed down, and there rechargeable. I would be using the original lighting system, just connecting the cat eye power supply in were the stator used to feed. You could probably lose the regulator. The lamps may have to change for a different voltage.

There you go, hope i have made up for the lack of responses with out dribbling on too much.
BC

DeePa
02-27-2007, 02:40 AM
i remember teamgeek did some ignition stuff before he was run off of the boards. I wouldnt hesitate to send it to him for 100 bucks to hop up my iginition.

Mike

Dammit!
02-27-2007, 04:27 AM
i remember teamgeek did some ignition stuff before he was run off of the boards. I wouldnt hesitate to send it to him for 100 bucks to hop up my iginition.

Mike

I just read some stuff on another board that I think was him only without the whole "super secret can't tell anybody what I'm doing" schtick that he did here. Interesting stuff but I still remember him saying that after his ignition mods, his R would power wheelie in 3rd gear like it was some sort of accomplishment. Any strong running stock R should do that. Hell mine does it in 5th with absolutely no body english at all and will pop up pretty easy in 6th with just a little english. I still want more power though. :lol: