PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Zinger DG Exhaust Head Pipe Question

bigreddaddy
04-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Has anyone else bought a DG Exhaust for their tri-zinger, and noticed the head pipe hole isn't cut correctly to mount up with the head? If so, can you tell me how you got your DG head pipe to fit right? After taking mine off I noticed the pipe hole isn't really cut right, and I can't use my stock gasket with it.
Today I dropped the motor, FINALLY got the intake off after having to drill the 4 phillips head bolts.
I am going to install the boyesen reeds. But now I don't what to do about the exhaust. I have the stock exhaust soaking in seafoam in case I have to end up using it.
I know one other member on here that had the same problem w/ the pipe mounting right and am waiting to hear from him to see what he did.

Vealmonkey
04-28-2007, 08:47 PM
I had no problems with mine. I just purchased the larger of the 2 exhaust gaskets and it bolted right up. The smaller of the exhaust gaskets looks sort of like a fender washer with the gasket around the outside. I'm sort of curious if you have any pictures of what you are talking about the with the pipe not fitting the exhaust. If you could post a couple of pictures I might be able to better understand. I never had any problems with mine though. Sorry to hear your having a problem.

bigreddaddy
04-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Well it looks like it wasn't fully cut to accept the stock high flow metal ring gasket. I used a dremel and hopefully will finish by tomorrow.
I didn't even have the gasket in there because the stock gasket was hidden in the old head pipe by carbon build up.
I dropped the motor today so I could change the reeds out, and this is when I noticed the cut on the DG header.
With the Boyesen reeds, do I install them WITHOUT the stock metal reed stopper?

bigreddaddy
04-28-2007, 09:01 PM
I had no problems with mine. I just purchased the larger of the 2 exhaust gaskets and it bolted right up.

So your gasket fit INSIDE of the DG header right at the end where it meets the head?

Vealmonkey
04-29-2007, 12:30 AM
The exhaust gasket fits between the exhaust pipe flange and the head. I used a little spray copper gasket sealer to hold the gasket in place while I tightened everything up. My stock reeds did not have a metal reed stopper, the only piece was at the top where the screws went and the boysen reeds comes with a new one.

bigreddaddy
04-29-2007, 12:56 AM
The exhaust gasket fits between the exhaust pipe flange and the head. I used a little spray copper gasket sealer to hold the gasket in place while I tightened everything up. My stock reeds did not have a metal reed stopper, the only piece was at the top where the screws went and the boysen reeds comes with a new one.

Well, I must not have the same gasket as you. The only one I have is a metal ring gasket that mounts right at the end of the header, in a groove. It doesn't come close to touching the flange since it's inside the pipe.
When I first installed the DG the header was flush against the exhaust port, not going in just the pipe covering the hole.
I didn't notice a leak but do I NEED the gasket like you have?

Vealmonkey
04-29-2007, 08:09 AM
If it's not leaking you should be good. You could even go as far as getting a sheet of copper gasket material and cutting your own copper gasket. Where you would get such a thing I'm not sure. I have acces to copper sheeting where I work and have cut my own custom head gaskets. The copper sheeting I have access to also comes in different thicknesses so I can use thicker or thinner. The pieces I use aren't usually very big, so I can get away with using "scrap" pieces left over from the mechanics making other gaskets. They usually save me the "scrap" pieces knowing that I make custom fit gasket pieces on occasion so I have a little stash of "scrap" pieces to choose from. Also I have acces to a nice little gasket cutter which cuts the copper gasket material like butter. Sometimes the perks of work outweigh how much the job can suck. Now if I could only talk them into getting a bead blasting cabinet like I had at my last job! That thing would fit a whole harley hardtail chopper frame inside the blasting cabinet!

bigreddaddy
04-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I appreciate your help man, and all those via PM. I'll just do what I have to do to get this zinger running good for my boy.

One more question. I checked compression before taking the motor out and it was about 110 psi. Is this low for the zinger?

chilly988
05-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Where did you get your dg exaust for the tri zinger 60 for.

krazykane
05-29-2010, 10:27 PM
i was going to ask the same thing

shortline10
05-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Their was a guy selling them on ebay for a while . Ive seen DG and bassani for the trizinger .

dcreel
05-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I checked my manual for the figures for compression, and there are none that I can find.

Bryan Raffa
05-30-2010, 07:49 AM
bassani for the trizinger??? I would love to see one of thoes... 110 dont sound bad... did you check it holding the throttle wide open?

and on my DG.. I just put some High Tem RTV on it and bolted it on.. thats IT...No gasket.. it sit's Flat on the head...

dcreel
05-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I too would love to see a picture of the zinger Bassani.

plcrides
12-29-2010, 03:05 PM
i bought a full system by dg it was the only set up i could find for a honda 84 250r and it doesnt fit right up against the head.i want to put the exhaust on my new trike i just bought but not if its going to leak.man i paid 300 dollars for the full system and its just sitting in the garage.oh and the mounting brackets didnt even line up.i would have to fabricat that too.