PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge on my Z (pics)

overdressed1
09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
After the usual failure of my impeller (now pinned) and the faulty overtemp. light sender:( I decided to put a temp gauge on my Z.
Pretty simple job, fitted sender into thermostat housing where overtemp. light sender was, then mounted gauge (in a stock housing) to frame with P-clamps. Even connected backlight to lighting switch so it comes on when I flick the lights on.:D
Now I can tell whats going on :) It dosen't get in the way and seems to be taking the knocks.
Temp stays around 150'F or below at the current ambient temp. here at the moment.

ceaserthethird
09-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Great idea , Awesome Tri-z !

I take it the Thermostat housing is polished ?

overdressed1
09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks.
Yep. Sure is.

ccdhowell
09-18-2007, 02:24 PM
That's an awesome mod. I recently ordered the ESR in-line temp gauge for my Tecate. I wanted a gauge like you have, but was really concerned that they wouldn't stand up to the abuse and vibration on a 2-stroke trike. Give us a report after you ride it more, I'd be interested to see if it holds up. Chris

clutchcargo
09-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Where did you get the parts from?

BigGreenMachine
09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Good mod, clean Z!

Chris did you get that ESR guage yet?

tecat-z
09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Had a blue esr gauge on my 85 t3 for almost 2 years now and it works like a champ. No issues what so ever! It runs about 155-160 in the middle of the summer in the sand WFO. Never gets any hotter. Putting one on my slightly modded tri-z for next year.:naughty: You're gonna like it!:cool:

honda250sx
09-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Been looking at the ESR gauge too. But i am afraid with the trick inline cooler i wont be able to to fit both of the items.

Dirtcrasher
09-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I like it, pretty trick looking!! and nice Z too.

Hey H250SX, you hiding this build up till it's done or what?? Running out of powder yet?? LOL... Hope it's coming along well.

honda250sx
09-18-2007, 08:56 PM
DC Muhahahaha. My sx is all disassembled and on back burner for now. The Z i am hunting and collecting parts like a Mofo. buying and buying until i am ready to build it. Plus im working out of town and the z is in a storage unit til i get back to NY in OCT!

pickleweasel_00
09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
that's a slick install :beer Is that an electric gauge? And where did you get the clamps? I think I know what my next mod is going to be... :D

overdressed1
09-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Sorry it takes me a while to reply to queries in posts but I live in Perth, Western Australia ,(look it up on a map, most isolated capital city in the world :cry: ),
so I'm probably not on the boards when you guys are (and girls.((there are girls here aren't there?:wondering )) )

Anyway I digress-
The gauge is a real cheap mechanical type from an auto store(under 30 bucks), I'll have to see how it holds out with the vibes etc
Can't use an electric gauge as they require 12v D.C. power, these bikes put out A.C. current, and it's not a constant
12v which would make the gauge inaccurate due to Ohms law as the sender works on resistance.

The clamps are called P-clamps and come from an industrial supply store, they are used to hold wiring, hoses, pipes etc. They come in many sizes.

clutchcargo
09-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info...great idea!

Yamahondaman
09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
back in the 80's i did that to my first RAG ... but i instaled a mini one where the red warning thing was in the headlight shell...

pickleweasel_00
09-20-2007, 10:28 PM
that is still pretty cool though... if I can find some clamps, might do that to mine :D