PDA

View Full Version : When chrome plating a 84R axle ...........?

Huffa
11-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Do you have to keep the plating off the lock down threads so the nuts will still thread on ?

I'm hoping I'm wrong because it will look better of course if the threads can be chromed too. ........but then again I'm using a different single lock down nut and they won't show much anyway.

How much should this cost approx and I'm talking just the part in pic (blue tape) that shows, would be senseless to do the part that is inside the bearing carrier, correct ?

I forgot the short taped section doesn't show either, that gets a spacer collar on so the collar would be chromed.

The sprocket hub does not have to be removed for any reason does it? I guess that could be chromed too ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/axle.jpg

Bryan Raffa
11-04-2007, 09:04 AM
why paint that... it looks new still.....

SYKO
11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
ok, when chroming there is no stoping where the chrome goes, also the aluminum sproket hub will get destroyed by the dipping chemicals, unless they have the correct stuff for aluminum, I have never gotten anything done on my wheelers before but I spent 3000 dollars in one shot on my car, I had all the removable susupension done and everything off the rear done, and only minor removable parts done, 1 controle arm (small top controle arm) is 200 by itself! chroming is not cheap by any means, but holar at jeswinehart he had some stuf done, maybe he can help you, personaly I would get it powdercoated and be done with it, my chrome powdercoated parts done look quite like chrome, but more like a nice smooth aluminum, wich in turn I never have to polish and its easy to maintain.

SWIGIN
11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
ok, when chroming there is no stoping where the chrome goes, also the aluminum sproket hub will get destroyed by the dipping chemicals, unless they have the correct stuff for aluminum, I have never gotten anything done on my wheelers before but I spent 3000 dollars in one shot on my car, I had all the removable susupension done and everything off the rear done, and only minor removable parts done, 1 controle arm (small top controle arm) is 200 by itself! chroming is not cheap by any means, but holar at jeswinehart he had some stuf done, maybe he can help you, personaly I would get it powdercoated and be done with it, my chrome powdercoated parts done look quite like chrome, but more like a nice smooth aluminum, wich in turn I never have to polish and its easy to maintain.

that looks like the stock cast steel sprocket hub...... wich means the rubber bushings would need to be out

SYKO
11-04-2007, 10:01 AM
that looks like the stock cast steel sprocket hub...... wich means the rubber bushings would need to be out

good point Ive never really looked at my air fooler close up, it just apears to be aluminum, and yes the rubber needs to go

1upfront
11-04-2007, 10:02 AM

It's cast aluminum man.

SWIGIN
11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
i never saw a cast aluminum hub before....hmmmmmm

if so why is the 85-86 and for that matter everything newer cast steel?

Dirtcrasher
11-04-2007, 11:27 AM
It sure looks like aluminum in the picture, only Huffa knows...

Yeah, chrome goes on every part that gets dipped, unless they have a way of covering the areas but with the chemicals involved in the process I don't see what they could use. Call up a chromer and pick there brain.

Huffa
11-04-2007, 12:10 PM
It's cast aluminum man.

Yep, cast aluminum for sure.

" if so why is the 85-86 and for that matter everything newer cast steel? "

I'm glad it's cast aluminum (much lighter) instead of steel (if your right on that Swigin), seems like they went a step backwards on the 85/86 .........maybe much cheaper to produce ?

Raffa it's not in bad shape, has a little rust here and there but if chrome is an option and not too costly, I'd rather go that route and if not, I'll just paint it up myself.

Thanks for all the info sykolincoln.

Are there brand new after market axles made yet for the 84R ?

JasonB
11-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I was planning on chroming alot of stuff on my 83R but instead opted for powder coat. I did want my durablue extended axle done to but it was going to be to complicated.

On just my custom fabricated swingarm Im having made right now for the 83R, its going to be 150$ to have it chromed. Thats gonig to be the only chrome part on my R now :lol:

just powder coat it, less stuff to worry about. And ALOT less cash to do so

JasonB
11-04-2007, 12:58 PM
That chroming takes away from tensil strength. Probably some process to bring it back but just something to consider asking around about.
Yes, I had a exhaust system nickle plated and I had trouble getting screws back in the muffler/baffle. Ended up stripping one out.
I done my own sandblasting to save a little bit of money and to save further exspense I did not have my stuff buffed out to mirror finish but rather just the nickle plating. Shinney enough for me.
I think it was about 175 dollars to do my complete exhaust system.

john

hey John, was your exhaust new when you had it nickel plated? I was told that if an exhaust was used that no plating company would bother with it because of the oils that would come out of it durring the nickel plating process. Something about contaminating their plating process. Is that true? I want my DG exhaust for my 83R plated but was told it could not be done unless it was brand new:confused:

Huffa
11-04-2007, 02:32 PM
hey John, was your exhaust new when you had it nickel plated? I was told that if an exhaust was used that no plating company would bother with it because of the oils that would come out of it durring the nickel plating process. Something about contaminating their plating process. Is that true? I want my DG exhaust for my 83R plated but was told it could not be done unless it was brand new:confused:

You could get it Jet Hot coated inside and out, I did this on my dual sport XR650L.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

I picked the extreme sterling color, which is 14 times more durable then chrome, it also helps performace a bit too and lowers ourside header temperature.

The extreme was 50 bucks more though and the whole deal was $190, not cheap but it's a involved process and afterwards they polish all the parts.

If I had a black machine, I'd do the pipe up in the copper color, think that looks really sharp!

http://www.jet-hot.com/Pages/colors.html

It can be done on used pipes, which mine was.

Thanks for the info Jes, your exhaust system looks extremely nice, love that look!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/DSC04659.jpg

SWIGIN
11-04-2007, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Huffa;549755]Yep, cast aluminum for sure.

" if so why is the 85-86 and for that matter everything newer cast steel? "

I'm glad it's cast aluminum (much lighter) instead of steel (if your right on that Swigin), seems like they went a step backwards on the 85/86 .........maybe much cheaper to produce ?

i never spent any real time around the early 250r's but i do know that a few of the aftermarket axle companys that do use aluminum hubs do in fact strip out with time. and the flange that the seal rides on will ware out real fast from the axle seal.
im sure we all seen old steel hubs with axle seal groves worn into them.

thats why i find it hard to beleive that honda used aluminum.

1upfront
11-04-2007, 04:12 PM
On the 83-84 250r the steel brake rotor hub rides inside the seal but the aluminum sprocket hub doesn't make contact with the seal, it rides on the axle on the sprocket side.

SWIGIN
11-04-2007, 04:21 PM
ok cool....i learned something new

SYKO
11-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Are there brand new after market axles made yet for the 84R ?

yes durablue makes them still brand spankin new!:welcome: