PDA

View Full Version : cam chain ajustment on ytm200???

jamiegolf
02-05-2008, 04:37 PM
hi guys!!
i have finaly got my ytm200 sorted (just about!) but my cam chain is making a slapping sound when i rev the engine, i have removed the cover on the adjustment screw on the back of the block but i dont know how much i can adjust it!! i noticed that there is a small hole in the middle of the adjusment screw and my dad remembers that with his old yamaha bike that you have to adjust the chain till a small plunger comes out flush with the hole in the middle?!?!? am i on the right track or totaly wrong! could somone please tell me how to adjust it properly?? :beer

Yamada
02-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Do you have a chain driven ytm-200 or is it shaft driven. I think the cam chain tensionner is different from these two bike. I will look into my service manual and copy the procedure in 2 hours.

jamiegolf
02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
i have a shaft drive ytm200e 1983 model, thanks for looking for me.

mike84bigred
02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
hi guys!!
i have finaly got my ytm200 sorted (just about!) but my cam chain is making a slapping sound when i rev the engine, i have removed the cover on the adjustment screw on the back of the block but i dont know how much i can adjust it!! i noticed that there is a small hole in the middle of the adjusment screw and my dad remembers that with his old yamaha bike that you have to adjust the chain till a small plunger comes out flush with the hole in the middle?!?!? am i on the right track or totaly wrong! could somone please tell me how to adjust it properly?? :beer

Thats how you do it. You have some sort of other issue. Check the valve clarances.

Yamada
02-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Here's the procedure find the the clymer manual:
1.Turn the engine until the piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke and the T mark on the flywheel is aligned with the stationary pointer on the crankcase
2. Grasp and attempt to move both rocker arms. If both rocker arms are not loose, rotate thge engine 180* until both valves have free play. Reinstall the valve adjuster covers.
3. Remove the cam chain adjuster cover.
4. Loosen the adjuster locknut and turn the adjuster until the pushrod is flush with the end of the adjuster. Do not tighten the locknut or install the cover at this time.
5. Start the engine and allow it to idle. Check the movement of the pushrod. If it move slighty, the adjustement is correct. If the pushrod does not move, the adjuste is too tight. Loosen the adjuster so that the pushrod moves slighty when the engine is running.
6. When the tension is correct, turn the engine off and tighten the adjuster locknut.

jamiegolf
02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
thanks very much yamada and mike84bigred, i havent done it yet but i will give it a go tomorrow and see if the noise disapears. thanks again guys!!