PDA

View Full Version : How do you rewind a recoil spring?

e.alleg
03-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi, I have a 86 ATC200S with a mint recoil that was making noise, like a dumbas% I took it apart to lube it and of course the spring came out. The big clock spring under the rope holder. This thing is frustrating, I can't seem to get it wound back up no matter what. I'm not worried about the compression release I don't use it anyway. Thanks for any help or a link if it's been discussed before, I searched for a tutorial and came up blank. :confused:

Nick_R_23
03-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I usually use both thumbs to push on the spring while holding it with my legs. Having 2 people do it makes it easier. Make sure your putting it on in the right direction, nothings worse then FINALLY getting it on, and realizing you put it on backwards.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

boosted96cobra
03-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah man I hate these things
First thing I do is grab some string and tie it on the end of the rope....

Next take the thing that holds the rope (sorry dunno what it is called) and turn it over. Put the inner part of the spring in the notch on the back. While you hold it wind it up so most of it is inside the lip. Take the end that catches in the bottom part and pull it so you have like 6-8 inches, then while you hold the spring to the bottom of the rope holder, turn it over and hook the long part in the bottom. Make sure it hooks and stays inside of the lip. Then quickly pop in rope holder into the bottom. All that matters getting it in is that both ends of the spring are hooked and the spring is inside the inner lip on the bottom.

It won't be all the way wound yet, but as long as you have both ends hooked you can wind it till it pops all the way in. It may take ALOT of turns but if they are both hooked it will pop in. When that happens I tunr it like 3 more turns so the rope has good tension then pop the string out the hole and pull the rope through, pull it out and throw the pull on it and tie a knot.

Remember when your spining it, to keep the rope inside, and there should be a notch were you can pull your added string and keep the rope turning with it.

The last time I did it I had problems keeping the spring latched to the bottom, so I latched it onto the rope hole, and did exactly as above. It would not pop in when I got it tight but I carefully lifted it and pryed the spring end over and latched it.

If you can figure out a way to hold the spring tight when it is wound up, you can take a board and put two nails in it (one to latch the center and one like 2 inches away to latch the outter latch) you can wind it up easy, but keeping it wound and getting it inside the bottom piece was impossible for me.

Twilight
03-02-2008, 02:14 AM
i'll do it for free if you cant. I have had to do my odyssey's one like 30 times.

Latch one end onto the recoil and as said before, make sure its the right one. Then make sure the recoil isnt tweaked or twisted on itself. If its not, then use one hand to hold the recoil down and one hand to feed it, work around the recoil until you have just a small amount left, use one hand to center it and place it down, while the other still holds the recoil.

It took me three times to get it down.

Howdy
03-02-2008, 02:26 AM
My posting from 4 years ago:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showpost.php?p=118472&postcount=3
This should help with the spring.

The Whole thread: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=19821
Howdy

e.alleg
03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a go later on.