PDA

View Full Version : 350x decompression cable issues...

i58829
05-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Well i had my 86 X out yesterday and i was wondering if it has something funny going on with the valves, decompression cable, or if its just tougher than me. First off i dont think i'm a weak/too small to start this thing (6'2" around 200lbs) i can get it to turn over quickly and start easily but.....

When i first started it i had it fired in a couple kicks after it had been sitting for over a year. It had a little bit of gas left in it that i was too lazy to drain out before adding fresh 93, so it shut off a couple times before i got it to run good. My question is about the decompression setup on these, i can kick it just fine without giving it any throttle. I thought it may have been flooded when i was starting it for the second or third time so i figured cranking it at WOT would blow that out of the system, but i can't kick this thing for the life of me at WOT. Partial throttle is fine, once i got it running it would fire up with 2 or 3 good kicks.

I was told the valves were adjusted before i got it, i dont really know much about that stuff, i was also told the motor was stock but i'm not sure. It doesn't smoke or make any noise when running aside from the normal valve noises (much quieter than my old 84 200x) So it may be nothing, and unless its going to harm the engine i plan to leave well enough alone but any input would be appreciated, thanks TC...

*Edit* I was just reading through 10 or so posts here after searching for '350x decompression' and this thing isn't a machine that you could kick sitting on the seat it wore me out trying to find out how to get it to fire. Like i said after the initial gas deal i was able to find that consistent feel to get it to fire up in a couple kicks. Also i'm 90% sure i had the choke on when i tried the WOT deal

Erics350x
05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Welcome to 350x ownership :)

Dirtcrasher
05-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm also 200lbs. By no means can I sit down and kick my X, I have to give it a good kick just a hair past TDC and it fires in 1 to 2 kicks hot or cold.

Yours shouldn't be "hard" to kick over if everything is set right. I have seen numerous people not align the activating cam behind the right cover. I've also seen tight and corroded or unadjusted decomp cables. The only other thing I'd check is to see if the valves are adjusted correctly....

Hope I gave you some input.

i58829
05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I have the manual so i'll check out the cable adjustment, it just seemed odd i couldn't kick it at WOT but i didn't try to force it so i dont know how much harder it would really be. Thanks for the help, i'm gonna start with the easy stuff first...