PDA

View Full Version : 1972 SL100 vintage racer

3wheeler-nut
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I am putting a 1972 sl100 enduro i bought in practically a few boxes back together with a whole lot of new parts and alot of money:rolleyes: . Its not going to be street legal anymore, stripped down to the basics, bought an mcm up pipe, going to buy a mild cam if i can find one, total rebuilt engine, bored 1st over with enw piston, new gaskets, rebuilt carb, going to be blue and white. Will post up some progress pics soon!

topless
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm going the other way. I've had one off road for years and I'm trying to make it street legal. You have any electrical parts you want to sell?

3wheeler-nut
07-25-2008, 02:23 PM
sorry mine was already a dirtbike when i got it so it had absolutely no electrical and im just going to put a battery eliminator in it so i wont need any. Plus i just found out a 200x atc engine will bolt in so i might try and find me a street legal one throw the 200x engine in it and go have some fun on the pavement:beer

topless
07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Lifan makes a 200cc engine that bolts in as well. You can buy it with an electric start. Then you can convert it to 12v and run aftermarket lights.
I've considered this, but my motor runs too good. BTW, the Lifan makes 17 hp vs 11 for the 125. Someday, I going to do this. Hooper Imports shows the motor.

3wheeler-nut
07-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I have a spare 200x engine that has a brand new top end so I will use that once i find a bike if i didnt have it i would find an actual honda 200x engine not teh lifan i head they are junk and dont lastbut thats just what ive heard my 200x hauls the business so i can imagine how fast it would be in a bike alot light than an atc:w00t:

topless
07-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I would use a 200x motor if I had one, but I don't. Around here, any 200x motor I could find would need a lot of work. The Lifan only costs $475 and has a warranty.
A real Lifan motor isn't junk. But, there are a lot of junk motors sold with Lifan side covers. Hoopers only sells the real thing. I wouldn't buy any "Lifan" motor from someone that's not listed on LifanUSA's website as a dealer.
I also have a CB125 that has a bad motor. I may decide to use that Lifan 200cc in it.

3wheeler-nut
07-27-2008, 01:18 AM
o ok thats cool then. O man searching craigslist today i found a cb125 thats been turned intoa cafe racer very nice bike runs and registered for the street also comes with a cb100 parts bike that only needs a few things im soo excited he only wants $550 for them i emailed him to see if he would hold it and if i could make payments since im on the thin side right now with money im bouncing off the walls waiting for an email back i want to ride on the tsreet so bad! vintage cafe style!

topless
07-27-2008, 09:52 AM
That bike would bring over a grand in this area. Most old bikes get set outside behind a barn and left to rot. We have hot sun and high humidity, snow and if a bike sits exposed to the elements around here, they don't last long. That's why I paid $1200 for a decent running CT90 with a good title that was 70 miles away. They are just not around here. Nice ones cost you.
The CB125 that I found is complete, but the motor is locked up. I could part it out and make some money, but what fun is that? Kansas passed a law that lets you get a title for a bike over 35 years old with just a bill of sale. So, restoring one just got a lot more interesting, most old bikes don't have good titles, people ride them out in the country untitled and never register them, and lose the paperwork, when they stop running, they just go behind the barn.

3wheeler-nut
07-28-2008, 12:35 AM
he already sold them :-( o well. Today i tried to rebuild my forks (first time every doing it) and man they are a pain in the ass i got the fork seal out with a punch but i cant get the seat out and have no clue if i do get it out how i am going to get it back in. I was thinking about taking them toa honda shop and having them do it but ive always done my own work i dont know l0l >.< im almost ready to ride my project!

topless
07-28-2008, 02:24 PM
All you do to get the forks apart after you remove the "c" clip is, use the inner part of the fork to hammer the internals out. In other words, you just pull the inner against the outer and it all comes out.
You'll need something to install the new fork seal, I made a brass cylinder that slides over the inner fork tube that I can tap with hammer.

3wheeler-nut
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
yea i have a clymer book that shows how to do it i took off the brushers, the c-clips, drained the fluid ( one drain plus is stripped have to helicoil it or weld it shut) and then i pulled on the tube against the slider to bring the seals and seat out and man u friggin pulled and pulled and pulled as hard as i could and i cant get it to move at all it says not to heat the slider with a flame so i got scorching hot water with a towel and wrapped that around it and it didnt do anything so now im moving into the its becoming a headache area of this build lol any ideas should i just heat it up a little with a small pencil torch or something?

topless
07-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Just use the inner tube like a slide hammer. Just pulling on it won't work. You can't hurt anything by hammering it like that. In fact, I don't think I've ever gotten any old Honda forks apart without sliding it and letting the piston tap out the bearing. It may take 5-10 times before it lets go, but it will come out.

3wheeler-nut
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
cool beans now i just need fork oil i worked on figuring out my wiring today. Im not using a battery im just going to put a battery eliminator in it. I had an xl100 before but not the sl mines earlier and ive never heard one with an up-pipe with no muffler before i cant wait!!! Also, check out my new toy I just won last night
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...mZ280248771771 score!!!!!!!

topless
07-30-2008, 08:28 AM
The link didn't work for me.
I've never run one of the old 6v Honda's without battery. In those, the battery acts like a capacitor, it helps the spark under load, and keeps the alternator from blowing the lights at high rpm. I have used a Nicad 7.2v r/c car battery in place of a motorcycle lead-acid battery, and they work fine.
There is a replacement rectifier that helps stabilize the voltage and makes for hotter spark and better lights. You buy it at Radio Shack.

3wheeler-nut
07-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Yea but the battery eliminator is literally just a big capacitor its a pretty big one too im putting in it so i think it should run pretty good i bought it and it had a capacitor in it instead of a battery but it was pretty small plus im not running any lights just need enough juice for the ingnition :-) Try going to ebay and typing this item number in 280248771771 . I am going to start making copies of the west coast swingarms for the 200x to begin with stock length and then extended in any length desired all from scratch built out of a jig :-)

topless
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
That 200x isn't too bad. Where you are, parts should be easy to get.

I hadn't thought of just running a capacitor. I had the r/c car batteries and used them. I put it in the tool box and used some foam rubber to keep it from bouncing around. I used the same battery for years. It was a crappy r/c car battery, but worked great in the SL.

3wheeler-nut
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Yea i think it should work. I still havent gotten my forks apart i heated the sucker up and friggin pulled like crazy on that fork tube but it wont budge a mm im starting to think i should just go and buy a set of forks with less pitting than mine plus with better threads and stuff off eaby or something. here some pics of the bike! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/chilywily72/CIMG1036.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/chilywily72/CIMG1037.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/chilywily72/CIMG1038.jpg

topless
08-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I'll post a couple of pics later today. I got my tail light bracket yesterday. I won a wiring harness and a headlight bucket on e-bay, so I'm slowly getting the legal stuff together.
I did find a wiring diagram for using a capacitor in old Hondas and it seems to be an old racers fix for the battery. I never did like lead/acid batteries in dirt bikes.
I ran my bike for years with the exhaust pipe cut off under the foot peg, so I know exactly what that's going to sound like. They don't sound bad, in fact at high rpms they sound kinda cool. I found a stock exhaust at a bike salvage a few years ago for $15 and I'll be using that on the street.

3wheeler-nut
08-03-2008, 12:49 AM
got the 200x home pulled both motors out of the sl and the atc swapped them and the 200x doesnt fit :-( the front mount has a different offset i thought it would perfectly but it doesnt :-( i am bummed to no end

topless
08-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Make your own mounting plates or or make spacers to use the 200x ones. This isn't rocket science. You just need to tie the motor into the frame.

topless
08-03-2008, 08:55 AM
double posts own me.

topless
09-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Update on my project: I've been buying up electrical bits over the last month or so, to make my old bike street legal. When I took the carb off to clean it, I found the throttle cable broke, and my gas tank had rusted. I have a POR-15 tank repair kit ordered. so I went ahead and cleaned out the carb, bought a new cable. Yesterday I filled it up with new oil, swiped a gas tank off a trike and charged up the old r/c car battery that I used 8 years ago. 3rd kick, fired right up. Old Hondas are amazing.
This week should be riding it, I will get enough lights on and the gas tank cleaned and coated.

Blown 331
09-13-2008, 09:40 AM
I didn't read the whole thread but a SL100 is a sweet bike and worth some money, please keep the Honda motor in it. It will be worth much more.
I myself have have a 1972 SL70 in pretty decent shape.

topless
09-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Spent a few hours today putting the headlight bucket & mounts on, replacing the hacked up stock wiring harness with a complete one I bought off e-bay.
I wasn't planning to put turn signals on, but the harness I bought has the wiring, so maybe I'll add them later.
This bike has only had a tach, so I'm looking real hard at a set of speedo & tach that's got the mounting plate.
The side covers for sl100's are hard to find, and the ones on e-bay are bringing stupid money. I guess I'll end up making something to cover the sides.