PDA

View Full Version : Honda ATC 200 w/ Swingarm?

FireboyTwister
11-13-2008, 07:32 AM
So I was thinking I might want to try and put a swing arm on my 200. Not really sure how I would go about doing that. Like, what would it take? Could I use my current OEM axle? Where would I take the measurements from to know where to weld on the bracing? Stock Exhaust work with this set up? Better maybe to get a roller and modify it?

Erics350x
11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
you be better off finding a 200x roller and droping in your engine

Vealmonkey
11-13-2008, 10:05 AM
They made kits for doing just that at one time. You had to cut off your hard tail section behind your main cradel and there were pieces that either bolted on (very rare) or welded on (way more common) to the frame that was left and they supplied you with a swing arm that used the stock bearing carrier and brake set up. You also got an aftermarket suspension front end front end that had custom triple trees and used for tubes from something like a honda sl125. Some were a little odd looking and some of the kits were kind of trick looking. They were much nicer than a hardtail, but nowhere near the ride of a 200x. You had to use a 200x exhaust since now you had a shock where the stock exhaust would run. Often the kits included an aftermarket air cleaner since you usually had to discard the stock airbox. Kits like this were quite popular until the 83 honda 200x came along and alot of people just upgraded to the faster trike with the better suspension. I have one of the bolt on kits and 2 of the weld on kits that I'm selling off. There were several hardtail trikes that had suspension kits from different makers, honda and yamaha being the most common. A suspension kit is a great find. Alot of people also transplant a 185/200 engine into a 200x frame and it gives you what is referred to as an auto-x. The main thing with them is you need to fabricate a rear brake pedal. You get all the advantages of a 200x, better suspension and disc brakes but still have the auto shift engine.. And the 185/200 engines bolt right in but you have to use some of the 200x parts. Get some pictures and post them so we can let you know what you have found.