PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r atc problem

mike from long island
07-01-2003, 09:27 PM
the other day me and 200xman started to work on the 250r.cleaned the carb,changed the intake checked the gas and so on. it ran like crap at trikefest for those who dont know. anyhow. we took it to the riding area and he rode the bike. started in a few kicks ran good. he rode it around and we raced down the beach. i was on my 350 and he on the r i smoked him bad. why because the bike breaks up.(i am sure he will add his two cents!!!) lol so he suggested the stator. i think will check it some how this weekend or something. but if it is the stator what year trx stators will fit? or who can rebuild the staotr if possible. i want to put the bike up for sale but want it to run correct and other theories please feel free to suggest!! thanks mike or anyone got a staotr for sale???

skippy
07-01-2003, 11:01 PM
yepper you can send off your stator to get rebuild, or get a new one from rickeystator.com.. or go w one from a 86-89 they will mount right up!

sandrooster
07-02-2003, 03:59 AM
I would first try a carb rebuild kit.

How does it run? Fouls plugs, how soon? Bogs at full throttle. Stutters at mid or excelleration. Idles rough.

We need some description. I'm sure someone on here had the same problem as your trike and might be able to help.

sandrooster
07-02-2003, 04:10 AM
deleted

freaksfix
07-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Mike wait before you by a stator, the kid I got the bike from said he had the stator rewound and it had a life time warrenty (sounds like BS to me, but its worth looking in to). He said he had to dig out the reciept for me when I bought it, but I have not seen him since then. I'll try getting ahold of him, and I'll get back to ya..

mike from long island
07-06-2003, 09:20 PM
so if not the stator what do you think???

TimSr
07-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Youve probably already done this, but when I suspect electrical problems, I always start with the $3 spark plug boot. Also if thats okay, stator failure is usually from insulation being worn off the windings from whatever particles happen to find their way in and getting whipped around inside like a sandblaster. If stator windings ohm out okay, one more check is to start the bike with the stator cover off, and shoot some water in while its running. If you have cracked or bare insulation spots, its will sputter like crazy as soon as you hit it with water.

freaksfix
07-08-2003, 09:32 AM
so if not the stator what do you think???

Im not saying its not the stator, I ment the kid I got the bike from his story sounded like BS..

86ATC250r
07-09-2003, 12:35 AM
that also could be CDI box also.....sounds familair w/ my 86 R