PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating at home?

matttess
01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Is it possible? And is it hard :lol:

Just wondering. Things like side cases, etc. i know it comes in a powder form so how would you go about powdercoating them?
What tools would i need? Preperation needed?

Any help appreciated :cool:

rdlsz24
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Check out this thread from DirtCrasher: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=90440

In the first post he explains how he does it at home.

Rob

honda250sx
01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Its very hard...

Not...

Mucho easy. I actually got Steve dirtcrasher started!

Dirtcrasher
01-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Its very hard...

Not...

Mucho easy. I actually got Steve dirtcrasher started!

Liar liar, pants on fire!!!!!

Get back to work before you get layed off too Mista Sucka Man!!!! :D

Yes he did.... He started off with a Easy Bake oven and powder coated some brownies or something for his 1st time :lol: :w00t:

I gotta go do some jetting, I'm growing senile and bored!!

honda250sx
01-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Liar liar, pants on fire!!!!!

Get back to work before you get layed off too Mista Sucka Man!!!! :D

Yes he did.... He started off with a Easy Bake oven and powder coated some brownies or something for his 1st time :lol: :w00t:

I gotta go do some jetting, I'm growing senile and bored!!

Hey old man get back in the shed!!!

Dont you have a Baja light to build?

Get a free electric oven off of craigslist.
Buy a Hotcoat gun setup from Eastwood.com
You can start powdercoating for less than a $100 bucks.

The Goat
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
someone tell me...this durability VS done by a professional?

2quicktecate
01-23-2009, 07:04 PM
it's not hard at all. i had a harbor frieght kit and an old oven and did a lot of little parts, it turned out good a little texture but very strong. didn't play around with it long enough to get it to lay out perfectly smooth and shiny but a lil practice and it should be no problem..

nickvo
01-24-2009, 07:59 PM
i have a wai system off ebay, got it for 99 bucks. it works good but the most important thing for it to be durable is to get the right paint. pretty much all the paint i have looks great but some is brittle and will chip off very easy while some is very very strong. i have a mettalic blue colour that i painted a kickstarter, clutch cover, shock spring adjusting tool and a bunch of others....all still looking new. i can take that shock tool and whip it across the room and it wont chip. i highly reccomend getting a powder coater

Dirtcrasher
01-24-2009, 08:16 PM
It is durable, but it does chip. Don't let people tell you that it is the end all be all finish.... I've also found that "race gas" takes it off like nothing....

Spray bombs are useless, auto paint with a hardner and primer are a ton of work and setup and PC is easy and durable. BUT, it is not as "impervious to chemicals and fuels" as I have read.

Just tying to be honest :beer:

nickvo
01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
It is durable, but it does chip. Don't let people tell you that it is the end all be all finish.... I've also found that "race gas" takes it off like nothing....

Spray bombs are useless, auto paint with a hardner and primer are a ton of work and setup and PC is easy and durable. BUT, it is not as "impervious to chemicals and fuels" as I have read.

Just tying to be honest :beer:

not all chips.... all mine chip except for the chrome and mettalic blue. i bought the cheapest powder i could though

honda250sx
01-25-2009, 01:09 AM
You can get fuel resistant and brake fluid resistant powders. You need to know what your looking for. What types of powder. If your going to take the time to learn how to do it and buy the equipment, why not research WTF it is your actually doing.

Ask questions. Get on some Powdercoating forums and fire away. Thats how I learned when I got into it. Sure there are some of us that do it here. But get on forums that are talking about it on an hourly basis.

Kinda like we do here with trikes...

n10sivern
01-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Woohoo I got a free oven today. Now all I have to do is get my Eastwood gun and some powder. Any suggestions as to which brand of powder is best? Also, if an engine is powdercoated, does it affect the air cooling?

Dirtcrasher
01-25-2009, 02:37 PM
I was buying Eastwood and Columbia Coatings and Absolute Powder Coatings. The high temp black I used on the motor (Deepa's too) said "fuel resistant" and was at least double the cost of other high temp powders but it's not "race gas resistant" :lol:

I wouldn't worry about PC tranferring anymore or less heat myself...

n10sivern
01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Anybody have any experience with the caswell hv pc gun. I am torn between the Eastwood and the caswell hv. I dunno if I really need the variable voltage and if it will make a big difference to justify being 3 times the price I the Eastwood. Also, has anybody worked with the IR lamps. I want to pc my frame but I have no way to bake it. It's either buy a $400 lamp or pay $250 for somebody local to pc my frame.

honda250sx
01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Lamps are tricky. Takes time to really work it consistantly.

Caswell has a great forum. You will find all the info in there world on there forum for that gun.

Variable is great. But not for the beginner.

Erics350x
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
I wonder if i could take two ovens and remove the doors, slide in a frame and push the two ovens together?

The Goat
01-27-2009, 12:58 AM
No. Lol.

I'm leaning more and more to making me a galvanized propane fired oven.

Just need some time off...

Buster Brown
01-27-2009, 03:19 AM
Do a search here, key words "powder coat" . You'll get a plethora of info. Good luck with your stuff. It's a lot of work , but very rewarding.;)

Erics350x
01-27-2009, 09:22 AM
No. Lol.

I'm leaning more and more to making me a galvanized propane fired oven.

Just need some time off...
Why wouldn't it work?

Do it and i'll pay you to powder 2 trike frames and a quad.