PDA

View Full Version : newbie, 250r converted with Astro Kit, pics

FJBen
01-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Bought a "250r" 4 wheeler off of craigs list, my bro-in-law picked it up. Got home and something seemed a bit goofy/off. It rides, great, tons of power but something just seemed wrong. Did some searching and come to find out I have the astro kit conversion...

Here's some pics, thought some of you might like to see it. Thats my youngest daughter on it, she likes it, it was cheap.

FMF fatty pipe, silencer, works shocks

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/100_0586.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/100_0584.jpg

DixiePlowboy
01-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Though I wasn't a fan of any 3-4 wheel conversion, I will say that the Astro kit looked MUCH better than the 3x4 kits. It has a coolness/uniqueness/collectability factor going for it, too.....so I say good score!

And welcome to 3WW!

FJBen
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM
yeah it actually rides/drives pretty nice. I had a 250 polaris trail boss and this drives WAAAY better. It's a bit fugly but with some new fenders on the rear it'll look better.

Just trying to grab as much info as I can on it.

thanks!

SWIGIN
01-26-2009, 03:09 PM
as far as info, the front end is based on a suzuki lt250r and uses some suzuki parts.

notice how the a arms are level to the ground, a real R has the a arms at a angle.

i feel this is because the lt250r was a known quad and when the kits were designed thats all there was.

notice how the hood looks 100% suzuki and the hubs and so on.

ATCeeya
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
you mind indulging what that ran ya?

FJBen
01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
yeah, in the brochure it says it uses suzuki wheels up front. Here is the parts list on it:

Front Spindles: 4340 Chromealloy heat treated and stress relieved
Front Knuckles: Hi-Tensile Steel
Tie Rods: 1020 DOM tube
Front brakes: Hydraulic Disc
Front Rotor: Venitlated Rotor
Front Hubs: 356T6 Aluminum 4 Bolt Wheel Pattern, standard for Quadracer, heat treated and shot peened
Front Tires: 700x22x10 Carlisle Knobby (mine still has these :lol: )
Front Fender: Custom made by Maier
Shocks: 13.25 eye to eye, mine are Works steelers dual rates
Frame: Welding Alloy Tube, 1" x .95 wall 1018 mild stell
Brake lines: Braided Steel

Track: 41 to 44" depending on unit style (mine barely fit in a 48" wide trailer
Wheel base: 47" - 51"
Weight: about 20 "honest" pounds ...dunno would have to weigh it

Back in the day the price was $1,200

I paid $500 for it. deal or no?

Nick_R_23
01-26-2009, 04:48 PM
You cant touch a 250r motor on ebay for 500$!! Pretty good deal there!!

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Dirtcrasher
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
You stole it!!

Now cut the front end off and we'll start a donation to return it to the wonderful world of ATC's!!

Saul
01-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Are you planning on fixing it?

Blown 331
01-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Hell of a deal. I'd pay that without thinking twice about it. I think the conversion to a 4-wheeler is a major down-grade to the 3-wheeler but I'd leave it that way for it's unique-ness.
I wonder if a TRX250R pipe would work?

FJBen
01-26-2009, 05:39 PM
lol, it's a unique rig for sure...

At this point I think it's going to stay a quad. I'm going to get some new rear plastics, a light some paddles and let her rip.

I need to pull the carb and clean it, she's running a bit rich and was sitting for awhile plus I'm not sure if the Reeds are stock or what else has been done. It could just need "blown out"/cleaned. Starts right up even in the 8 degree weather we are having.

Someone put some money into this (good or bad depending on point of view) so who knows what else they did.

I'm not sure if the Pipe is an FMF fatty or not, it just says "gold series" It has the TDS-2 silencer/muffler and it's LOUD :lol: neighbors love me.

I guess I did pretty good, I though it was fairly cheap so why not take the chance.

I've read that the ATC 250r's were more potent than the TRX250r's. What HP would I be looking at with this "known" setup of FMF pipe/silencer, assuming stock carb and everything else.

thanks for the info, very cool site. I always wanted a 350x :beer

Nick_R_23
01-26-2009, 05:56 PM
You should be sitting about right at 40 hp, give or take a little bit.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

SYKO
01-26-2009, 06:10 PM
I wouldnt change it back into a trike, its a part of history, but the only concern I would have is busting the front plastic. Its a possibility since maire made it they may make some more but for some $$$$$

Tri-Z Pilot
01-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Hell of a deal. I'd pay that without thinking twice about it. I think the conversion to a 4-wheeler is a major down-grade to the 3-wheeler but I'd leave it that way for it's unique-ness.
I wonder if a TRX250R pipe would work?

Would you put a trx pipe on an atc? The frame is still basically an atc, so in no way would a trx pipe work, it would be right by your right leg.

factoryX
01-27-2009, 06:42 AM
lol, saw you on 250r site....cant beleive what you payed for it either...

FJBen
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
lol, saw you on 250r site....cant beleive what you payed for it either...

yeah, I thought it was a trx250r as I had never seen one up close. Took a gamble and well, got "el bastardo" Again, for the price I can't complain too much.

Hoosier_Daddy
01-27-2009, 12:13 PM
yeah, I thought it was a trx250r as I had never seen one up close. Took a gamble and well, got "el bastardo" Again, for the price I can't complain too much.
That's what makes me mad, people sell these converted trikes as if they are real four wheelers and then unsuspecting people come along and buy them and find out it isn't what they thought it was. On the good side, you got a steal for that price.

Also, when you heard about the ATC's being faster then the TRX it has more to do with the 3 wheeler being lighter, thus faster, and not really because the engines had more horsepower. Hope that helps.

FJBen
01-27-2009, 01:11 PM
That's what makes me mad, people sell these converted trikes as if they are real four wheelers and then unsuspecting people come along and buy them and find out it isn't what they thought it was. On the good side, you got a steal for that price.

Also, when you heard about the ATC's being faster then the TRX it has more to do with the 3 wheeler being lighter, thus faster, and not really because the engines had more horsepower. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure the guy had any idea what it was. I bought it from a buddy for his 9 year old. Well thats a lot of bike for a 9 year old so he sold it, or so he says.

I thought I read that the trx250r motors were detuned slightly because Honda wasn't sure how it would hold up with extra weight??? Of course, don't believe everything you read but, I swear I saw that.

EDIT: from wiki:
"The TRX250R was introduced for the 1986 model year to answer Suzuki’s LT250R, released the year prior. Honda borrowed many parts from its 3 wheel ATC250R for the Fourtrax’s design, including the engine and rear suspension. Although mechanically similar, Honda detuned the engine for use in the Fourtrax, through reduced compression and less aggressive porting, to ensure that the added weight of the quad would not adversely affect the reliability of the engine."

not sure if thats true or not

factoryX
01-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure the guy had any idea what it was. I bought it from a buddy for his 9 year old. Well thats a lot of bike for a 9 year old so he sold it, or so he says.

I thought I read that the trx250r motors were detuned slightly because Honda wasn't sure how it would hold up with extra weight??? Of course, don't believe everything you read but, I swear I saw that.

EDIT: from wiki:
"The TRX250R was introduced for the 1986 model year to answer Suzuki’s LT250R, released the year prior. Honda borrowed many parts from its 3 wheel ATC250R for the Fourtrax’s design, including the engine and rear suspension. Although mechanically similar, Honda detuned the engine for use in the Fourtrax, through reduced compression and less aggressive porting, to ensure that the added weight of the quad would not adversely affect the reliability of the engine."

not sure if thats true or not

really? I hope not...

tanks350x
01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
very nice score for $500

Tri-Z Pilot
01-27-2009, 11:26 PM
If the guy got that for his 9 year old, I hope he bought a matching casket to go with it:lol:

On a side note, that thing could smell like rotten ass, and be possessed with the voice of Gilbert Godfried, but for $500 it would still be comin home with me.

cragster
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
ya you stole that thing. i'd rather ride a real 3 wheeler, but id prolly keep it as the 4 wheeler because its a collector now. nice bike

FJBen
01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
possesed by Gilbert godfrieds voice...HAHAHA... And letting a 9 year old ride it, holy crap it's waaay too much bike. I'm 6'4" 200 and it zips me around crazy fast. can't imagine a 60lb 9 year old.

here's some pics of the conversion part...it's growing on me, at first I was really worried about the frankeride...now it's becoming cool(er)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/100_0681.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/100_0682.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/100_0677.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/100_0678.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/100_0679.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/100_0680.jpg

firehart
01-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm worried about letting my 9 year old grandson ride my 110. my avatar is a picture of him when he was five sitting on my old 200x.

jeddy
01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
My brother in Denver looked at it when it was on CL a while back and even sent me some pics of it since he wasn't sure what exactly it was. I told him if he could convert it back to a trike it would be a great deal, but now after seeing your better pics I would agree that it has some coolness about it since it's different and it looks to be in great shape.

SWIGIN
01-28-2009, 03:16 PM
ok heres some quad tech

try to ajust the upper ball joint in some so the tire tilts inward instead of it being straight up and down....like this

you will have to reset the toe in after a camber ajustment, see what works best but for toe try starting with like 3/8 toe in.

i know in the air my toe in is alot but thats just everything maxing out with my long travle front end.

FJBen
01-28-2009, 04:51 PM
My brother in Denver looked at it when it was on CL a while back and even sent me some pics of it since he wasn't sure what exactly it was. I told him if he could convert it back to a trike it would be a great deal, but now after seeing your better pics I would agree that it has some coolness about it since it's different and it looks to be in great shape.

yeah the pictures posted were VERY crappy on craigslist. When my bro-in-law picked it up he said they guy had a pallet of ziplock baggies in his garage...hmmm...

it actually is pretty clean and runs well.

thanks "swingn" for the tech on the ball joint, I'll tilt the wheels in up top and check the toe it, I'm sure it's not right.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-28-2009, 11:23 PM
A pallet of zip-lock bags? Pablo Escobars cousin perhaps? :lol:

FJBen
01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
A pallet of zip-lock bags? Pablo Escobars cousin perhaps? :lol:

I know, it was sketchy to say the least ;) I keep telling my bro-in-law thats it's gonna look really bad we my Ex-drug-running frankenwheeler beats up on his built banshee :w00t:

TimSr
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM
as far as info, the front end is based on a suzuki lt250r and uses some suzuki parts.

notice how the a arms are level to the ground, a real R has the a arms at a angle.

i feel this is because the lt250r was a known quad and when the kits were designed thats all there was.

notice how the hood looks 100% suzuki and the hubs and so on.

The only part in this kit that will interchange with Suzuki is the plastic grill piece in the middle of the front fenders made by Maier. The fenders are based on, but not identical to the Suzuki mold which leads some people to assume this kit is somehow based on a Suzuki based on appearance. Nothing else in the kit is even close to Suzuki, and the hardware is proprietary and SAE, not even metric. The front rims are made by Douglas, and do use the same bolt pattern as Suzuki, but the holes are smaller to fit the smaller studs on the kit hubs, and must be drilled out for LT use.

FJBen
01-30-2009, 04:38 PM
The only part in this kit that will interchange with Suzuki is the plastic grill piece in the middle of the front fenders made by Maier. The fenders are based on, but not identical to the Suzuki mold which leads some people to assume this kit is somehow based on a Suzuki based on appearance. Nothing else in the kit is even close to Suzuki, and the hardware is proprietary and SAE, not even metric. The front rims are made by Douglas, and do use the same bolt pattern as Suzuki, but the holes are smaller to fit the smaller studs on the kit hubs, and must be drilled out for LT use.

hmmm,,, Someone was saying that they had this kit and broke an A-arm, they got a ltr250 arm from a junkyard and it fit perfectly.

The wheels on mine are ITP. The grill is definitely a zuki part like you said but the fenders Maier couldn't find/lookup. The front end looks stupidly similar to an ltr250 front end that I just had in the garage a week ago (guess I shoulda looked closer)

SWIGIN
01-30-2009, 05:07 PM
it is based on a suzuki, and suzuki used small diameter hub studs (8mm)

FJBen
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
it is based on a suzuki, and suzuki used small diameter hub studs (8mm)

How much would you tilt the front tires in? Better to push the bottom out or pull the top in or does it really matter?

Funny thing, my bro-in-law says it handles better than his banshee :lol:

FJBen
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Here's a small update. Been pulling parts, cleaning/adjusting/greasing. Cranked the preload all the way up on the rear shock as I'm 6'4" 200lbs

I found some a rear fender in great shape for $20. Should be here in a week or so. Upper cap plastics should be showing up this week. Cleaned the carb (it was really clean) and topped all fluids. She started within a few kicks after I put the carb back on.

Still needs new grips and new handlebars. They are fairly straight now, but I'd prefer a bit better. I might put on some roost guards just to help it look "somewhat" better.

I put two Hella lights I had on just to see. I kinda has a Psuedo "scrambler" look to it now. I don't know if it can power them or not, but I'll find out. I think it's looking better from when I first saw it. :confused:

pic from craigslist: BEFORE
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/250r.jpg

as of last night
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/quatc1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/quatc2.jpg

aaron7
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Looks great, keep us posted on updates!

2quicktecate
02-11-2009, 09:06 PM
thats sweet

SWIGIN
02-11-2009, 10:42 PM
How much would you tilt the front tires in? Better to push the bottom out or pull the top in or does it really matter?

i like about 1 1/2'' and leave the bottom in....it takes a ton of load so dont bring it out

birddogg
02-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Smokin deal and a rare find. It's a conversation piece for sure. I don't doubt for a second that it handles better than a Banshee. Those nose-heavy bog and zing machines are only good for wide open areas. My brother had one and my bone stock 300ex would run circles around it in the woods without trying. He'd be wore out from trying to fight it all day and I'd be ready to go a few more hours. They're good for their intended purpose but not much else.

250rulzes
02-12-2009, 02:27 AM

It's really time to move this to Quad Central...

Autophysn
02-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Nice bike dude, I would love to get my hands on one of those. It's a peice of history right there. Only thing I would do is see if you could modify a 88trx250r hood and front fender to it. The headlight was built in to the hood and gives it that sex appeal like no other :)

Great score!

FJBen
02-12-2009, 12:41 PM
thanks for the info and comments all.

I screwed in the top two turns, I need to test it and see. It turns stupidly sharp, I actually need limit the steering as it's waaay too sharp. The steering is/was heavier than others but not bad. I'd imagine a caster change could fix that.

How much is the stock stator good for on an 86? The Hella lights are AS115FF and I believe 55watts each. Not sure if the stator can push both or not.

I definitely want to try and change the plastics...It's strange enough with the suzuki look on the honda :crazy: but hey, it was cheap.

It should run like a beast up on our dunes (we have some nice dunes where I grew up in Walden, CO)

aaron7
02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Not sure... the Ricky Stator replacement is 200w I think; supposed to be a big upgrade... so I'd guess stock is 100w?

FJBen
02-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Here's the latest, not much other than the Maier upper hood piece. It's all shiny and the rest is dull. Not sure how to fix that, but it's looking a little more complete. Next up the rear fender hopefully in a week or two when it shows up.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/PIC_0076.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/PIC_0075.jpg

aaron7
02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Such a sexy machine... we'll forgive you for having the extra wheel haha

scooterroo
02-17-2009, 09:45 PM
It's all shiny and the rest is dull. Not sure how to fix that, but it's looking a little more complete.

armor-all, ask edoggy!!! :lol:

Autophysn
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
ffreaking Sweeeet!

Thanks for the update and keep them coming, I must say, it is weird seeing the extra wheel, but that has got to be one quad I really do like ;)

coteya
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Shame remove one of those wheel