PDA

View Full Version : ATC70 Shifting

Frankencelery
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
My son's ATC70 shifts very hard. Adjusting the clutches hasn't helped. I've managed to avoid transmission work so far. how hard is this to fix? Do I need to crack the case?

BigRed_Ryno
02-18-2009, 02:29 PM
my one's the same, it was fine for the first 15 years we had it, then i interfere'd with it on day and not been able to get it right since :(

blue27
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Pull the right case there is a shift drum stopper that brakes or the spring breaks. Here is a Tech Bullitin from Honda. Or you just may need to upgrade.
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/blue2777/ATC70/scan0004.jpg

dcreel
02-18-2009, 04:58 PM
blue27
I just checked out that page for your mini tiger and I have to say that is the coolest 3 wheeler I have ever seen. Awesome man, just awesome..

Preddy05
02-18-2009, 05:20 PM
here is a good link

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=63608&st=0&p=1378910&

BigRed_Ryno
02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the links guys, just means i gotta go out an do it now......

Frankencelery
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks Blue27! That's do-able, and it looks like the parts are still available!

Frankencelery
06-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Well, I finally got around to doing this project, and I feel like an idiot. The machine is an '85, but the engine is a '79 or '80, which makes it a 3-speed. The '85 was a 4-speed. It just never even crossed my mind when I ordered the parts. Needless to say, the Shift Drum Stopper Plate has an extra hump. The arm still fits, but I'm wondering if I should get the correct stopper plate? The bulletin said this was a problem on '85 machines, and maybe my hard shifting issue is something else entirely?

Dirtcrasher
06-19-2009, 10:15 PM
If you had the 79/80 I wouldn't sweat it as those bulletins would include all years.

Does ANYONE have more of the Service Bulletins or have a thought on obtaining them??

My dealer had the SX, 200X, Acooled250R and a few more but not nearly all of them.

From water entry, updated bearings, prone to cracking, springs that break etc etc, they had some cool bulletins but wouldn't let me look long enough....

Frankencelery
07-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I just realized I broke my own cardinal rule....bugging you guys for help with problems and then not posting when it's fixed! I replaced the stopper arm, and left the plate. Operating it while apart, it seemed to operate smoothly. When I finally got it all back together, it was the same hard to shift problem as before, shifting hard and slamming into gear without any apparent disengaging of the clutch.

I had followed the instructions in my Clymer manual to turn the clutch adjuster screw counterclockwise, until resistance is felt, then turn 1/8 to 1/4 turn clockwise. In this case, I ended up turning it a lot farther, like a whole turn. That did the trick! Now when the shifter is at the bottom of its travel, the clutch is NOT engaged, and when let up, it's in gear with no slipping. I had worried so much about following the instructions to the letter, that I never thought to experiment.

Maybe this means that something isn't exactly right in the clutch assembly, or that it has aftermarket clutches that aren't quite the same as OEM, but it works perfectly, and I wanted to share with anyone else who has similar problems.

ATCLIFEJOE
05-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Hello do you still have that stopper plate for the 85? Want to sell It?