//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 322

Thread: Never before seen Honda ATC's (proto-types)

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lauderdale County, Alabama
    --
    2,029
    Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but do know the oil turns kind of a see through emerald green.
    This is my trike. There are many like it but this one is mine. My trike is my best friend, and it is my life. I must master it as I must master myself. My trike without me is useless. Without my trike, I am useless. I must ride my trike true. My trike and I know that what counts is not the amount of miles we ride, but the time we ride together. My trike is human in it's own ways, therefore I will learn it as my brother. I will learn it's weaknesses, it's strengths, it's parts, and it's soul.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    st. louis, mo.....usa
    --
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    QUOTE=phantombiker;983288]hey mickey...back in the day was anybody doing any tricks on their bikes and just not getting noticed??

    Mark
    When I first started racing ATC's in 1981 we didn't have shocksI was racing motorcylces (MX and Supercross)with 10 inches of travle and just getting ready to race my first pro race.My father inlaw was building the AMA Supercross tracks at the time and he got this whole ATC race thing going during half time at all the dome races with Team Honda.

    From what I seen no one was really even jumping,and the only trick was staying up right on all 3 wheels!

    First time I got big air was when we put front forks on the 81' 185s.

    Attachment 118122


    The first time I race in Cal. against Curtis I think was at Corona Raceway. That was the first time I was told that anyone had seen someone "double jump" a 3 wheeler. The problem came when in practice I came up behind Curtis and he jumped the first of two jumps and I jumped what I thought was a "double jump". I was going to pass him (which I did) so I was off to one side of him and I flew over him.Was that a trick? Well he got pissed because he thought I was going take his head off,and he let me know it when we got back to the pits(first time of many to come). I didn't think it was a big deal,that's just the way I knew to jump.

    Then in OH. in late 85' I think I had went back to racing Honda's for Powroll again.I had been doubling this big set doubles (about 40 foot between them) in practice again and no one eles was.But on the first lap ofthe first heat race Curtis tried! Then seeing what happen to him I backed off just a little and this happen. I didn't crash I just liked to see if I could touch my face to my front fender on landing,is that a trick?


    Attachment 118123[[/QUOTE]

    point taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    I report posts...
    Apparently it tortures more than my wife...LMFAO
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...r-phantombiker...feedback

    85 Tri Z...sold
    85 350x sold
    84 200x sold
    85 250r...sexy as he!!

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    --
    5,046
    Thanks again Mickey! We are finishing up getting ready to head out this morning. We have about a 2 hr drive and then Fun times!!!!!!
    ________________
    I'm just a squirrel "Trying" to get a nut!

    Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

    https://www.mikesatvfix.com

    "Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hyndman PA
    --
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Thanks again Mickey! We are finishing up getting ready to head out this morning. We have about a 2 hr drive and then Fun times!!!!!!
    Happy to help,have fun and keep all three on the ground.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Chezzetcook Nova Scotia
    --
    1,836
    Wow! another legend. Do you have any pics of the air cooled liquid coold mods? Also how did kawie change the raceing scene when they released the Tecate?
    The Green No More Red EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate
    1984 KXT 250 Tecate Parts machine
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate My vintage racer
    1983 KX 250
    Proud member of
    3wheelerworld.com
    3wheeler.org
    Planettrike.com
    Airfoolers.com
    http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=80907

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hyndman PA
    --
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecate250 View Post
    Wow! another legend. Do you have any pics of the air cooled liquid coold mods? Also how did kawie change the raceing scene when they released the Tecate?
    No pics of air cooled water cooled stuff. I take it you are talking about the 200 Kawies. All I know about that is all I had to do on the big TT tracks is push Jimmy White hard enough where he had to run his air cooled 200 real hard and it would blow up about the 5th lap. The big front tire again wouldn't let the air get to the air cooled motors.

    Kawasaki has always been known for building fast motors,but the rest of the bike wasn't up to par. On TT's they could win easy,but MX wasn't as easy and you had to be the better rider,and JW was. It made for some good battles,Red vs Green.

    The Honda 250 riders started crying because JW was hole shoting all the time and it made it harder for them to win. They said it was the gap between 2nd and 3rd gear that was the problem and when the shifted 3rd it wouldn't pull hard enough.

    For some reason they put me on Sundal's 250 at Santa Cruz. It had Ohtsu 18's on the rear and I hated those tires because they would roll in the corners and I would tip when I wanted to slide. I put my Carlisle R/A 16's on and everyone thought I was crazy.. I went out and won the heat race in the 200 class on my 200x and the 250 class. Then I won the 200 main,but when it came to the 250 main I didn't have much left in me. I wasn't in shape hang on to the two stroke with twice the power. However I did hole shot JW big time because I would start in 3rd gear with the small tires,and kept the lead for about half the race,then I died,I didn't have anything left for JW.That was the only time I rode a 250 and I proved that you could hole shot with the right set up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa Cruz.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	118236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa Cruz 250.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	118237

  7. #82
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Open Road
    --
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    Yes I always ran a oil cooler,same one I stil sell today for our 200x,250x,300ex,400ex,Warrior,Quad Sport 230 and 250 ect. ect.

    If you look at the front of the clutch cover there is a flat spot with a little casting plug. We drill and tap into a oil gally there. There is a little more to it but that gives you a idea.
    Sweet! That was exactly where I was looking to tap into the galley. I can machine this all at work no problem but just needed to calrify where you thought the best place to tap-in would be in comparison to where I was thinking

    You have a link to where I can purchase your oil cooler kit?

    Again, I can`t say how much I appreciate you letting us pick your brain. Setting up a race trike these days is trial and error for me as there aren`t too many who know what the limits of these old machine`s capability is like myself and considering what just a race piston/cam/headwork costs and how crucial getting oil to the cam journals alone to keep from lunching the whole top half of the motor (as I have done previously)

    I really like my 200X (I have three) and don`t have alot of cash to throw away should I get it wrong so this is very important to me to get it right and maintain it for as long as possible until the next rebuild....I had planned on dumping the project at one point in favor of a two-stroke but I can`t seem to get past wanting to field a fast 200X....just to be contrary, I guess

    Thanks Mickey

  8. #83
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Open Road
    --
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    All I know about that is all I had to do on the big TT tracks is push Jimmy White hard enough where he had to run his air cooled 200 real hard and it would blow up about the 5th lap. The big front tire again wouldn't let the air get to the air cooled motors.

    Kawasaki has always been known for building fast motors,but the rest of the bike wasn't up to par. On TT's they could win easy,but MX wasn't as easy and you had to be the better rider,and JW was. It made for some good battles,Red vs Green.

    The Honda 250 riders started crying because JW was hole shoting all the time and it made it harder for them to win. They said it was the gap between 2nd and 3rd gear that was the problem and when the shifted 3rd it wouldn't pull hard enough.
    I had always wondered about that....back in the day reading magazine coverage and seeing some races in INDY in person, I noticed the Crimson Tide swarming the lone Green dude (JW) alot....The Kaw had a more powerful motor and White was a seriously talented rider but I couldn`t figure out why there weren`t more Green guys finishing at the top. Those days, weekend race results seemed to translate into sales of that particular machine at the dealerships moreso than brand loyalty or preference whereas now these days it seems the opposite is true. I had suspected the chassis on the T3 had more to do with the popularity of choosing Red rather than Green and it seemed strange that they didn`t have a better chassis (was this due to Honda patenting the center of gravity location (motor location) on their chassis?)

    It also seemd apparent that back then and well into the 90`s that Honda spent more money on their race teams than the others. Do you agree with this or were the appearances deceiving me?

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hyndman PA
    --
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I had always wondered about that....back in the day reading magazine coverage and seeing some races in INDY in person, I noticed the Crimson Tide swarming the lone Green dude (JW) alot....The Kaw had a more powerful motor and White was a seriously talented rider but I couldn`t figure out why there weren`t more Green guys finishing at the top. Those days, weekend race results seemed to translate into sales of that particular machine at the dealerships moreso than brand loyalty or preference whereas now these days it seems the opposite is true. I had suspected the chassis on the T3 had more to do with the popularity of choosing Red rather than Green and it seemed strange that they didn`t have a better chassis (was this due to Honda patenting the center of gravity location (motor location) on their chassis?)

    It also seemd apparent that back then and well into the 90`s that Honda spent more money on their race teams than the others. Do you agree with this or were the appearances deceiving me?
    I have raced and work for Honda,Kawasaki and Yamaha,and Honda by far spends the money to be the best at everything they do.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hyndman PA
    --
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Sweet! That was exactly where I was looking to tap into the galley. I can machine this all at work no problem but just needed to calrify where you thought the best place to tap-in would be in comparison to where I was thinking

    You have a link to where I can purchase your oil cooler kit?

    Again, I can`t say how much I appreciate you letting us pick your brain. Setting up a race trike these days is trial and error for me as there aren`t too many who know what the limits of these old machine`s capability is like myself and considering what just a race piston/cam/headwork costs and how crucial getting oil to the cam journals alone to keep from lunching the whole top half of the motor (as I have done previously)

    I really like my 200X (I have three) and don`t have alot of cash to throw away should I get it wrong so this is very important to me to get it right and maintain it for as long as possible until the next rebuild....I had planned on dumping the project at one point in favor of a two-stroke but I can`t seem to get past wanting to field a fast 200X....just to be contrary, I guess

    Thanks Mickey
    I have the oil coolers you need.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dahlonega,GA. (Formerly Flint,MI.)
    --
    787
    Mickey...What all do you know about the famed Honda ATC500 that Honda was about to release before the government stepped in?? Marty Hart was supposedly a big factor in the development of the big gun ATC.

    Thoughts??
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

    FZ

    Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

    Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    --
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    No pics of air cooled water cooled stuff. I take it you are talking about the 200 Kawies. All I know about that is all I had to do on the big TT tracks is push Jimmy White hard enough where he had to run his air cooled 200 real hard and it would blow up about the 5th lap. The big front tire again wouldn't let the air get to the air cooled motors.

    Kawasaki has always been known for building fast motors,but the rest of the bike wasn't up to par. On TT's they could win easy,but MX wasn't as easy and you had to be the better rider,and JW was. It made for some good battles,Red vs Green.

    The Honda 250 riders started crying because JW was hole shoting all the time and it made it harder for them to win. They said it was the gap between 2nd and 3rd gear that was the problem and when the shifted 3rd it wouldn't pull hard enough.

    For some reason they put me on Sundal's 250 at Santa Cruz. It had Ohtsu 18's on the rear and I hated those tires because they would roll in the corners and I would tip when I wanted to slide. I put my Carlisle R/A 16's on and everyone thought I was crazy.. I went out and won the heat race in the 200 class on my 200x and the 250 class. Then I won the 200 main,but when it came to the 250 main I didn't have much left in me. I wasn't in shape hang on to the two stroke with twice the power. However I did hole shot JW big time because I would start in 3rd gear with the small tires,and kept the lead for about half the race,then I died,I didn't have anything left for JW.That was the only time I rode a 250 and I proved that you could hole shot with the right set up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa Cruz.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	118236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa Cruz 250.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	118237
    I wasn't even aware Kawi had an air cooled 200. Learn something new everyday. Also, in the second photo it says a Cagiva finished forth, any chance you have that pic ? And thanks alot for taking the time to answer all of our questions!
    Tionesta Trikes ATC 450R
    86 250R
    86 Tecate-3
    83 ATC 70
    85 Big Red
    81 KLT 200
    85 250SX
    Tricky Dicks Cagiva WMX 200 sold
    Trikefest survivor 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...dback+eric250r

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hyndman PA
    --
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Maico View Post
    Mickey...What all do you know about the famed Honda ATC500 that Honda was about to release before the government stepped in?? Marty Hart was supposedly a big factor in the development of the big gun ATC.

    Thoughts??
    Yes Marty had more to do with that and the IRS ATC then anyone,we never talked about it. That's one thing you should know about Honda,if you hear someone talking about a rumor of this or that,it just that ,"a rumor". The people that do know about stuff never talk about it.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hyndman PA
    --
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric250R View Post
    I wasn't even aware Kawi had an air cooled 200. Learn something new everyday. Also, in the second photo it says a Cagiva finished forth, any chance you have that pic ? And thanks alot for taking the time to answer all of our questions!
    I think it would have been 175cc or what ever size it started out in the producton bike,then big bored.

    Sorry no pics of the Cagiva. All these pics are out of a scrap book my mom made, so what you see is what I have.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    turner,Me.
    --
    53
    I had one of you're Powroll training video's a few year's ago,I wish I still had it.If I remember,it had an 86 200x and a 350x in it.What was you're favorite year 200x? Thank's for bringing back these memories.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //