//ArrowChat Code
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    That's a bummer on the fenders.

One misstep while mounting or dismounting the trike and they'd probably crack some more.

It may be time to retire them but it's not a total loss. They can be used for the material to weld up other plastics. They would also make a nice wall hanger if fixed up good enough to look alright at ten feet, painted, then applying some vintage style aftermarket decals. Even better if packaged with the front fender and a blown out (unusable) stock tank. That could be hung vertically with the front fender up top, the tank and fenders below.

For full effect, tangled with a nice fish story about how they came off a national race winning trike from back in the day and they're too valuable to put a price on. I know what I got, no low balling!
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    For full effect, tangled with a nice fish story about how they came off a national race winning trike from back in the day and they're too valuable to put a price on. I know what I got, no low balling!
    I know what I got!...haha

Half done stripping....half to go. Just waiting for the cat litter container to be empty....that should fit the other half of the exhaust completely. I'm just using whatever used plastic container comes my way.

The exhaust headpipe was so pitted with rust I might as well have just sandblasted it. It's still easier just to let it sit in the acid and take it out later & rinse.

--
    Well just as I thought..... the green is far to green.

I tried to match it to a new bolt that came with the master cylinder....it looked good on paper but not in reality. The only thing I can do is spray it into a cup and mix some HD vivid black and see if I can't get it a little darker. I mixed a little to see if it would be closer.

I should have listened to everyone and just painted it black.

--
    A couple parts came in..... thank you Shep for that perfect tank rubber piece. This 3WW community is great.

Also a chain came in from ebay. I ordered a gold one but got a black one. I couldn't find the one I had from the last 200X project I did.....so I just splurged the $22 for a non o-ring new one.

I'm getting tired of all this work doing little things (that's time consuming)... but still looking at that near bare frame & old broke fender & cracked seat and think to myself, "I'm not getting anywhere with this project." Working my way to 3 years and still nothing. I know things are getting done but when I look at the "whole" of this, it feels like I'm going nowhere.

Pretty soon I need to assemble things...even if it's half-ass.... so I don't loose my mind.

Previous balance. $1561
    + chain. +$22
    tank rubber. +0

Total. $1583

--
    I think I can, I think I can...

You can and will!

Thanks for sharing and I sure there's many, myself included, who get bogged down when a project birdnests on them.

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    You're still plugging along on this project. That's awesome! I haven't logged in for a while. But I've stopped by to see your progress a few times.

I always feel like I rush through stuff to fast because I'm wanting to get the machine back in service, or I'm anxious to see how it'll turn out. I have made myself slow down some but still not near as methodical as you Knappy. You do excellent work Sir.

✌️207

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Thanks for sharing and I sure there's many, myself included, who get bogged down when a project birdnests on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 207wheelin View Post
    You're still plugging along on this project. That's awesome! I haven't logged in for a while. But I've stopped by to see your progress a few times.

I always feel like I rush through stuff to fast because I'm wanting to get the machine back in service, or I'm anxious to see how it'll turn out. I have made myself slow down some but still not near as methodical as you Knappy. You do excellent work Sir.

✌️207
    Thank you.

I think when I was younger I was like you 207....I wanted to get it done quick and wanted to see the progress right away. I'm sure there are some of my old projects out there somewhere with hand prints on the paint...apparently I couldn't wait for it to dry. Now it's like the other way around. I get caught up on the details of little things and can't let go. Maybe it's low T

I painted the kick starter a little darker green now i've gone the other direction....... It's darker than lighter but I give up. It's an overcast day so you're really can't see the pictures...... It looks dark green to gun metal but it really is a dark green. It can probably be seen better on a sunnier day. I'll leave it alone because it looks more natural darker than army green.

Edit.... If I used a low gloss clear it would have looked a lot more greener and more natural..... But the only low glass clear I had was 2k speed that is a aerosol that needs to be activated. Once the can is activated, it's only good for 2 days. I'm not ready to paint the forks off my DR yet..... So I used a gloss clear which made it even darker.

--
    Got the headlight guard painted. Red was a good choice.

This will be the last progress for this project for a while. I will be knee deep in my XR1200 upgrade that needs to be done in a month and a half.

Got a refund for $11.21 from the seller that I purchased the chain from. It was supposed to be gold but I got a black one instead. I decided to take the refund and keep the black chain.

This will be the first time the budget total will be going in the other direction (decrease).

Total. $1583
    Refund. -$11

Total. $1572

--
    Finally got the rest of the exhaust pipe stripped....needed to wait for the right container for soaking.

Does anyone know if the muffler has any kind of packing in it? I don't think it does but I don't know for sure. After seeing a newer DR650 muffler cut up and what appears to have a packing material inside it got me thinking....I don't want any acid "sponging" up inside a packing material and rusting from the inside out.

I may just soak the the pipe portion prior to the muffler and do a "scratch n spray" on everything else.

--
    I suggest not dipping the muffler just on the account it has a lot of nooks and crannies that'll trap air and be difficult to clean/neutralize all the dip from. Once hot and acidic exhaust hits that it's likely to cause more issues than you can solve.

The other thing is if it has a removable baffle, that's the most likely to have packing in it. Some removable baffles have bolts, but also a couple spot welds. That is typical of OE Honda baffles.

Many OE mufflers from that era have a Krizman type spark arrestor. The internals at the end of the muffler have a vortex inducing apparatus that flings exhaust solids to the outside. That is why many OE mufflers have a removable plug/panel at the end, on the bottom, to periodically remove, plug the regular outlet, then rev the engine to blow those particals out. Those are the carbon bits that would normally fly out of a straight pipe while still glowing, and start wildfires.

The end baffles, resonators, on many OE exhaust have packing in them. The muffler usually doesn't, it's all mechanical with chambers and perforated tubes.

A screen, like many two cycle exhausts have, would normally catch those, but it's restrictive and requires more frequent maintenance. Screens are still typical on most lawn care small engines, like line trimmers and blowers.

As for a last gen DR650 muffler, that thing is a beast. I know of a low mileage one hanging on a wall right now. They're stainless steel and will outlast the engine, but are actually very, very heavy. I've removed and weighed several OE mufflers and the DR is by far the heaviest. Most aftermarket mufflers on low to mid powered modern machines aren't much heavier than aftermarket, except the most modern ones with converters. The OE aren't that restrictive either, unless the engine has some internal upgrades the require more flow at higher RPM. Most stock exhausts are fine for engines that aren't used in actual racing. Largely, aftermarket exhausts are a waste of money on modern machines and just make it louder.

On your 200X muffler, I'd just blast it and apply a quality exhaust paint. On a stock engine, the stock muffler isn't holding anything back at actual riding speeds.

--
    Does anybody know what color/shade of white this gas tank is?

Even if it's a spray can color the paint supply place can make a batch for it.

I haven't worked on this rig for some time. I pulled the gas tank out of the back of the garage just to inspect it. Other than yanking it off the trike I never really looked at it or inspected it closely. I knew there were no dents or anything and I knew it was fuel full on the inside when I removed it...not so much now.

There's normal surface rust on the outside....common with leaving it outdoors for 15+ years.

The inside is serviceable. The only real rust is right there at the top........ where probably 15 years of rain seeped in. There are some other spots inside but not life threatening. I used the harbor freight inspection camera but it's mainly just varnished/grimy/etc. Unless this thing is leaking like Elmer Fudd after getting blasted by Donald Duck (which it isn't) I will never use a tank liner. Even the good ones like Caswell will fail eventually..... leaving a nightmare of a job to remove. Tank liners are evil but necessary at times.

I wish I could find/replicate this old sticker....so 80's

--
    If its the same tank color as an 86/87 200x the color is Shasta White(NH-138) I bet its the same.

shep

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    If its the same tank color as an 86/87 200x the color is Shasta White(NH-138) I bet its the same.

shep
    Thank you Shep.

Here's a picture of my 86 200x.

It does kinda look the same....the 84 seems a tick darker but it's probably from fading/exposure/etc.

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I do not know for sure on the 200x, but I do know that the fuel tank color is different between the 1985 and 1986 350X.
    Both white but different shades of white.
    This information can most likely be found from one of the "This Old Trike" videos.

Very nice 86 200x. I hope to find one some day.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy View Post
    I do not know for sure on the 200x, but I do know that the fuel tank color is different between the 1985 and 1986 350X.
    Both white but different shades of white.
    This information can most likely be found from one of the "This Old Trike" videos.

Very nice 86 200x. I hope to find one some day.
    Your right...I found it on Partzilla.

NH-138 for 1986 350x & 86-87 200x ...Sheps correct

NH-23 Lemming Gray 1985 350x

NH-24 Ceramic White 83-85 200x

I'll confirm if there's a certain "paint code" that goes with it next week.

Sometimes a paint shop will not have a certain recipe/mixture for a paint type.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //