//ArrowChat Code
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 86 ATC 250r rear brake conversion w/ 450r parts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Florida
    --
    1,044

    86 ATC 250r rear brake conversion w/ 450r parts

    I see there is a Kit by BDT that has a bracket, hose and loaded caliper $350.00
    Q. is that bracket special? is it just a 450r bracket or a ATC250r bracket.
    I see a spacer is sold by BDT ( but not in the kit ) what's it for?
    can someone shed some light on this for me.
    Dose anyone have a list of parts to make this conversion work without buying the kit?

    Thanks
    MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1


    My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

    mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    --
    6,727
    I just did one of these conversions , awesome stopping over the stock setup . We did the complete setup with his master cylinder conversion as well .
    The spacer centers the disk to the caliper , not sure on the bracket but possibly itís milled some to make it work .
    Sorry I wasnít to much help , just sharing my experience .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

    Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

    My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manheim, PA
    --
    5,754
    BDT is raping anyone who buys that kit, which is fine since they worked out all the dimensions. All you need is trx450r rear hub brake stay and rear caliper bolt on. Any machine shop can turn a spacer for a few bucks. If you can read a digital caliper you can figure out the spacer needed to shim it over. If you want plug and play with no thinking buy BDT. I just build my own conversion for a 350x using what I had and a YZ426F front calipers. I think with powder coating I have $40 into it lol.

    I ran trx250r rotor hub, rotor, 350x new re-indexed brake stay / yz426r front caliper. It's dual piston they go for about $12 shipped lol

    Either way is fine making you own or buying theirs but just know there's not much special about their kit other than that spacer. All the parts you need are on eBay are a around $160 shipped. Still not cheap by today's standard. BDT is just selling new OEM Honda stuff that's clean.
    Last edited by oldskool83; 12-14-2021 at 03:53 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Florida
    --
    1,044
    Thank you all, I will order the stay and caliper and report back, thanks
    Mrc
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1


    My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

    mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Carthage NY 250r rules
    --
    2,345
    When I built my 85 250r this summer I rebuilt the oem calipers and master cylinders put on Galfer braided lines they work well .Also use aftermarket brake pads and I'm using the 86 250r swingarm.
    250r rules

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Florida
    --
    1,044
    ok guys, I have the following parts.
    450r caliper and stay
    bushing for the stay
    spacer ring from BDT
    new snap ring.

    Dose the spacer go between the rotor and the carrier? or between the stay and the carrier?
    thanks
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1


    My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

    mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Northeast
    --
    17,438
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    ok guys, I have the following parts.
    450r caliper and stay
    bushing for the stay
    spacer ring from BDT
    new snap ring.

    Dose the spacer go between the rotor and the carrier? or between the stay and the carrier?
    thanks
    Older thread but:

    I know you did get this to work but I'm not sure if you got your answer. I haven't found out the part number yet but I will. The simple spacer is from a Yamaha, it must shim the disc rotor hub? Did you modify the mounting bracket at all, I imagine it has to be relieved a bit so the brake pads travel the correct amount.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    --
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    When I built my 85 250r this summer I rebuilt the oem calipers and master cylinders put on Galfer braided lines they work well .Also use aftermarket brake pads and I'm using the 86 250r swingarm.
    I did the same on both my 85 and 86. The stock calipers are more than enough.

    I looked into the BDT kit a couple years back, but I couldn't justify the cost. It would be more bling than anything.
    Jason

    85 250R
    86 250R
    85 500R Conversion

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Florida
    --
    1,044
    Wow I dropped the ball on this post.
    Sorry, The BDT parts were a waste of time/money, after installation nothing lined up, I called BDT and was told, "sometimes they work and sometimes they don't".
    So I figured it out myself, I modified the steel brake stay (welded a tab and drilled a bolt hole) to accept the 450r caliper. I did have to shim the caliper off the stay a bit to center it on the rotor.
    not to promote myself, but I did make a video about it.
    https://youtu.be/jdLv_dHZfTE
    MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1


    My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

    mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manheim, PA
    --
    5,754
    I told you so.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Northeast
    --
    17,438
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    Wow I dropped the ball on this post.
    Sorry, The BDT parts were a waste of time/money, after installation nothing lined up, I called BDT and was told, "sometimes they work and sometimes they don't".
    So I figured it out myself, I modified the steel brake stay (welded a tab and drilled a bolt hole) to accept the 450r caliper. I did have to shim the caliper off the stay a bit to center it on the rotor.
    not to promote myself, but I did make a video about it.
    https://youtu.be/jdLv_dHZfTE
    MrC.
    WOW! That's terrible, they have some people that worship them and others that hate them.

    What a lousy answer to get, doesn't the auction claim it's a bolt on conversion?? I'd have sent it back and bought all the parts myself, he just charges people more money and tosses in bolts and stickers, couple spacers, yadda yadda...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manheim, PA
    --
    5,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    WOW! That's terrible, they have some people that worship them and others that hate them.

    What a lousy answer to get, doesn't the auction claim it's a bolt on conversion?? I'd have sent it back and bought all the parts myself, he just charges people more money and tosses in bolts and stickers, couple spacers, yadda yadda...
    Some people do not check fits with digital calipers. I've known for years he guys OEM honda 450r parts and prays on fools to pay more then they need to for the same stuff. However this is why I always have said it is not hard to put different things in different places. Having and open mind, a tape measure or calipers will tell the story. If you can not machine or weld, no big deal. Any local shop can make a plate or a few spacers.

    I think people get scared because its metal and they throw shoulders up saying I don't know. We all have a brain and its simple math. At least you figured it out.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Northeast
    --
    17,438
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Some people do not check fits with digital calipers. I've known for years he guys OEM honda 450r parts and prays on fools to pay more then they need to for the same stuff. However this is why I always have said it is not hard to put different things in different places. Having and open mind, a tape measure or calipers will tell the story. If you can not machine or weld, no big deal. Any local shop can make a plate or a few spacers.

    I think people get scared because its metal and they throw shoulders up saying I don't know. We all have a brain and its simple math. At least you figured it out.
    I think it's also a time thing, if someone can buy a bolt on kit, they often prefer that. Machining takes a long time, and I make mistakes all the time, or I'll get done and think "why didn't you do that, you idiot!!", and I learn from it; and have to do it again. But, I have the machines and the time to play in the shop for 6 hours everynight. BDT has been overcharging people forever, but he makes it easy for guys that have no desire to figure things out or source the products themselves. This particular product is a joke, I know what NOS 450R calipers cost because I use them (130$ OEM NEW), the other stuff is just gravy. For him to say what he said, he would have gotten it all back from me. Anyone can see his feedback, negatives disappear after a year, but I've seen plenty of people disgusted with him; those are the ones that wish they did it themselves...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //