//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 185/200 engine weight

--

185/200 engine weight

Anybody know the weight of the atc185s engine might swap one into a 83 xr200r so just wondering how much more it will weigh.

--
    My bathroom scale says that a 185S engine weighs right at 170 lbs. That's with the shifter on, but no carb. I'm wanting to do something similar with the 200E engine that I just bought.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    My bathroom scale says that a 185S engine weighs right at 170 lbs. That's with the shifter on, but no carb. I'm wanting to do something similar with the 200E engine that I just bought.
    no way in heck a 185S motor weighs 170 pounds. I can pick them up with ease. I can not pick up 170 pounds with ease.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Yeah I was thinking it was around 100lb because the whole wheeler weighs 280lb. My 97 xr100r weighs 170 and I can barely get it off the ground.

--
    I remembered that my friend had a bathroom scale. 65lbs no carb no pullstarter shifter on.

--
    You guys are probably right. I probably read it wrong.

--
    Weight isn't the only issue but it'll certainly be heavier.

It's less powerful than the XR200 engine and mod for mod it'll always be that way because the ATC engine has more rotating mass on the crankshaft that you can't remove. You'll be going from a six speed to a five speed. The recoil starter is less appealing than the kick start.

I'm not trying to discourage you from the project, I've thought it would be cool to do myself, but the reality is it's taking a fun trail bike and turning it into something more agricultural. The only real gain is the semi-automatic clutch, if that's what you're after.

If I was going to do it, I'd go with the 200E engine for the electric start and dual range transmission. It'll be even heavier still and while the E-start isn't totally necessary on such a small engine the dual range transforms the bike into a super slow crawler while still maintaining road speed. Wiring in the E-start would automatically mean creating a DC charging system which would make it possible to run 12vdc accessories. It would take frame modification to make fit though although technically bolting in.

Good luck with the project.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I just want some suspension don't really care about power I will probably put a xr100r engine in it who knows. I have a 200e engine and the dual range sub trans sounds interesting.

--
    If the point is to cobble a bunch of junk together that happens to by laying around with a minimal skillset you're better off buying a used modern quad.

Trikes and parts have gotten too expensive for wishers to fool around with. Save the money and time, buy something that's ready to ride and is modern enough to have ample parts availability.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //