//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Kawasaki KXT250 Build Thread

--

1985 Kawasaki KXT250 Build Thread

Picked this trike up about a month ago with the intent to perform a semi-restoration. Nothing over the top, but address the items that need attention, and make a clean rider.

It's currently torn down to the frame - which isn't in bad shape, I had to re-weld the coil mount back in place (held in place with a hose clamp)

I received new KTX plastics kit, and a Clarke fuel tank (in Kawasaki green) new replacement stock graphics for the fenders and tank, and a replacement blue seat cover. I'll post of the fit/finish of all these parts once I get to that point (and I'll update this thread with pics)

I did ride the trike when I made the purchase, it ran well, but with the motor out I removed the top-end, looks to have a stock bore with Wiseco piston kit, and a Pro-X connecting rod - pleased everything is tight and doesn't look to have many hours on the build.

Also - the rear shock is blown, so that's out for rebuild (I hope it's in decent enough shape to rebuild) and I found out one fork tube is bent - so the plan is to straighten it out, then replace the fork seals.

As expected, there's a long list of small items that need repair - but I'll save that detail for another post as I make progress.

Last edited by sjsst41; 01-30-2024 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added link to pic

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Looks like a solid start! Are those fenders and tank painted? I have not seen that color before.

--
    I can already tell you the forks are done for so there is no point rebuilding the forks with all that rust that will rip up the seals. You can have them stripped and re-chromed. Forking by Frank does make new replacement tubes. Getting somone to answer an email or a phone is going to be the hardest part.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaRidr View Post
    Looks like a solid start! Are those fenders and tank painted? I have not seen that color before.
    Yep - the PO mentioned he painted them as the plastics were faded to almost white. I have new plastics and a tank waiting to get installed.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I can already tell you the forks are done for so there is no point rebuilding the forks with all that rust that will rip up the seals. You can have them stripped and re-chromed. Forking by Frank does make new replacement tubes. Getting somone to answer an email or a phone is going to be the hardest part.
    Yeah the fork tubes are definitely on the edge, if not over, of being usable. I have them soaking in Oxalic Acid as I write this - that will typically do a fantastic job at dissolving rust, I’ve used this technique on many chromed BMX parts that looked to far gone to salvage. I’ll post up the results.

--
    I managed to strip the frame today of paint, which was a pain. Maybe tonight I’ll be able to get a coat of paint on it. The trike didn’t have the airbox installed (just one of those small filters with a hose clamp on the back if the carb). But the package deal came with a spare frame with an airbox, but no cage and no cover. I’ll have to fab a cage, but in a positive note, a fellow online has a 3D model he generated which is downloadable for a couple bucks. I did download and send it to a friend who 3D printed it for me, I’ll pick it up tonight and check the fit, I have my fingers crossed it works well enough.

--
    Making progress - although slowly - but that's how it goes. Frame, engine and swingarm painted, new swingarm bearings, top end gaskets (just pulled to inspect, but all was in-spec), new shifter that I need to extend (it was supplied with the trike when I bought it, a new EMGO shifter, but for a mid-80's KX250). New intake boot and chain slider.

I'm headed to Norway for a month (business travel) on Friday - so I hope to have the triples and forks installed before I go, so the project will be stalled for a while until I return, but the rear shock should be finished by then. Also - I see the suspension dogbone heims are NLA - is there any recommended alternatives?
    Last edited by sjsst41; 02-14-2024 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Correcting stupid spellcheck errors

--
    Last edited by sjsst41; 02-14-2024 at 01:44 PM.

--
    And picture of the 3D printed Airbox cover:

--
    Looking good. These things take time.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Looking good. These things take time.
    As one of the engineers that used to report to me always said “Slow work takes time”.

--
    Looking good! I saw this trike a while back on marketplace, glad it's in good hands and getting the love it deserves!
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsst41 View Post
    As one of the engineers that used to report to me always said “Slow work takes time”.
    Haha! One of my personal favorites is “you do nice work… not much, but nice”

Best of luck with your project
    It sucks to get old

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Off Road Innovation has a lot of parts for tecates including the dogbone bearings. Love to see another tecate getting some love!

https://www.off-roadinnovation.com/kxt250-84-85.php

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaRidr View Post
    Off Road Innovation has a lot of parts for tecates including the dogbone bearings. Love to see another tecate getting some love!

https://www.off-roadinnovation.com/kxt250-84-85.php
    Thanks ! I did see ORI shows dogbone heims on their site, but they state they are discontinued with no stock available. I might have to get creative on a replacement.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //